Funding

talimckell

I've only heard about funding for the University of British Columbia. I was wondering if anyone knows when that information will start flowing? Will FAFSA info on loans be included with scholarships/fellowship info?

I also applied to UNC, U of Texas, U of Denver, and U of Washington.

Edited by talimckell

• 2 weeks later...

I've only heard about funding for the University of British Columbia. I was wondering if anyone knows when that information will start flowing? Will FAFSA info on loans be included with scholarships/fellowship info?

I also applied to UNC, U of Texas, U of Denver, and U of Washington.

I second this. Has anyone heard back regarding funding decisions? My inquiry goes to masters applicants.

I have only heard back from UM, and they basically said that they have completed the first round of tuition awards and have notified all recipients (I was not one of them).

I haven't heard anything yet. I called 2 schools (Rutgers and Southern CT) and they said info should be coming out "soon"

Edited by Phyl

Indiana told me awards would be going out in mid-April. Illinois said most of their funding is through graduate assistantships which have a separate application process. They want you to enroll in the school and then apply for the assistantship (which I find very frustrating).

Edited by kevinmac

I haven't heard anything yet. I called 2 schools (Rutgers and Southern CT) and they said info should be coming out "soon"

Phyl, given that Rutgers won't even notify some people of their decision until today or tomorrow (they told me I'd hear back by "early this week" and found out on Saturday), Rutgers probably will not be sending out financial info until later this week or early next week, though feel free to correct me if I am wrong. And given that Friday is more than likely a holiday for the University (it was for my undergrad alma mater, though I could be wrong), I'm thinking they won't send stuff out til next week. I hope they do soon because they want a decision by April 15, which gives me less than three weeks... and I want to know about funding before I make a decision!

Phyl, given that Rutgers won't even notify some people of their decision until today or tomorrow (they told me I'd hear back by "early this week" and found out on Saturday), Rutgers probably will not be sending out financial info until later this week or early next week, though feel free to correct me if I am wrong. And given that Friday is more than likely a holiday for the University (it was for my undergrad alma mater, though I could be wrong), I'm thinking they won't send stuff out til next week. I hope they do soon because they want a decision by April 15, which gives me less than three weeks... and I want to know about funding before I make a decision!

Good to know, the person I spoke to sounded a little taken off guard when I asked. I'm pretty much 100% sure I'll be going but it will be nice to know what the situation will be with money. I'd like to get all the paperwork going so I can put in for a parking permit, after an hour long commute I'd like a decent lot.

For UT--I asked about funding earlier this week, and basically received a canned response equating to, "if you had received a funding offer, you would already know about it."

For UW--If you received funding, it would have been in your admissions packet.

Funding situation is looking bleak. :(

For UT--I asked about funding earlier this week, and basically received a canned response equating to, "if you had received a funding offer, you would already know about it."

For UW--If you received funding, it would have been in your admissions packet.

Funding situation is looking bleak. sad.gif

That's a bummer. My "acceptance packet" was a form acceptance letter and a piece of paper I'm supposed to send back stating my intention to either attend or not. It was dated Monday and I got it yesterday, and there was no financial info in the letter. Hopefully they do things differently at Rutgers!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard anything, either, which is maddening. I emailed the department secretary or whoever last Monday and got no response. Even though I already sent back the form stating that I will be attending, if I don't get any scholarships I will defer for at least a semester or maybe a year. I'm already in the hole for my undergrad degree, and I'm willing to wait on my graduate degree if it means getting myself into another $15-$20k of debt, especially since my boyfriend is about to take on $20k in debt for his graduate degree. Just my two cents!

I've heard back from URI, UCLA, U of British Columbia, Pratt, Simmons, and Syracuse....U of Southern CT and Rutgers are the only ones I haven't yet heard back from, but I've already declined their offers of admission. Best of luck to everyone waiting...The waiting can be crazy making!

This might be a silly question. Is there a way to check and see what the government is willing to give loans for, maybe through the FASFA page or something?

My estimated contribution was a zero, and I'm pretty sure I'm not near the caps since I did take some loans for undergrad. Rutgers instate costs are low enough for me to go without any free money coming my way but I'd like to know if I actually will get loaned the money.

Got an email from Pratt to see funding info online. Good thing I rejected them 2 weeks ago, an MLS is soooo not worth 74k. Also got an email from Rutgers today with an short application to send in for award packages.

• 1 month later...

Just got my award letter from Rutgers. I got the max in federal stafford loans and $4k in work study. I didn't get a scholarship but they said to reapply in the spring. I am interviewing for a job as a full-time circulation assistant in a couple weeks so if I get that job I might just put my MLIS on the back burner for a couple of years. I am still totally undecided on what I am going to do. Good luck to everyone and hopefully you are more decisive and less confused than I am. Ha!