Classics 2008

kbatulli

I haven't heard anything except the rejection from UW, but I assume that since I didn't get any sort of notification from Michigan that I didn't get in there, either.

I did get an email from the grad chair for Colorado's program, though, and she said she'd be sending out admissions decisions sometime soon.

Neither have I heard anything but a rejection from Berkeley. Assuming that having heard nothing from the other major schools which have had contacted students also implies rejection (ie Chicago Michigan Princeton Harvard etc).

At this point I'd be surprised to get in anywhere... Guess I didn't quite envision how competitive these programs would be. But rejection from one's own alma-matter is particularly harsh.

(A blessing in disguise? Really, who wants to dedicate five to seven of the ripest years of your life to memorizing the LSJ?)

Still no word for me. I wonder how many meetings a committee usually goes through before deciding to send out notices? It sounds like a very long process.

Let's occupy ourselves here otherwise. What area of Classics is everyone working in - what are your research interests (if you want to get that specific)?

greek epic and tragedy here! Do you know if columbia and michigan send out emails, or do we log into our accounts online to find out? It seems like art history is that way...

agathon, Harvard hasn't notified yet.

I'm classical archaeology... and none of my schools have notified anyone, as far as I can tell. It's still so early, I really shouldn't be thinking about it... but I'm letting this website take over my brain!

Like I said before, most schools have notified and courted their top candidates--but this certainly doesn't mean that we don't have a chance-- I hope! I suspect they send out a second wave of acceptances if their top candidates decline offers...I hope I don't get any bad news on Valentines day...

Like I said before, most schools have notified and courted their top candidates--but this certainly doesn't mean that we don't have a chance-- I hope! I suspect they send out a second wave of acceptances if their top candidates decline offers...I hope I don't get any bad news on Valentines day...

Actually, the schools I applied to haven't said anything to anyone at all - some of them I've heard where the committee is in the process and they're getting close, but they haven't notified anyone just yet. Princeton, Michigan, Berkeley, Wisconsin, and Oxford (gathered field 2, not 3) have all notified, but none of the others have any data yet.

Guess this means I am rejected from Michigan.

I've noticed that Classics notifications/decisions seem to be on a different timeline than most of the other programs.

Perhaps--but you never know! They may keep applications in case their "first-round" candidates don't accept offers...

And you're right, I think Classics is a bit slower than other programs.

Isn't it too early for a second "wave" though? It doesn't seem like they have rejected anyone yet...But Michigan is a weak program anyway, I quite frankly I might well have chosen law school over their program. Have you looked at their placement record? It's awful -

..But Michigan is a weak program anyway, I quite frankly I might well have chosen law school over their program. Have you looked at their placement record? It's awful -

Interesting. Are you talking about Michigan Classics? I was under the impression that Michigan IPCAA is a dynamite program (at least, they act like it is), but I don't know anything about the Classics program. Not that I applied to either, though!

Isn't it too early for a second "wave" though? It doesn't seem like they have rejected anyone yet...But Michigan is a weak program anyway, I quite frankly I might well have chosen law school over their program. Have you looked at their placement record? It's awful -

Are you kidding me? They have great faculty, and their archaeology program is probably the best in the country. The only downside to Michigan is...well, it's location! But I would personally say that the size and quality of Michigan's program is second only to Berkeley...

Like what faculty? The only one I've ever heard of in their program is this Janko fellow and he's a second tier Aristotle scholar...I couldn't find anyone who seemed worth working with

I'm thinking, Acosta hughes for hellenistic poetry, Anne Carson for feminist studies in Ancient Greece, Derek Collins for Epic and rhetoric, Sara Forsdyke for Greek history, Dirk Obbink--papyrology; not to mention Ruth Scodel, who's one of the leading greek philologists of our century...

Are you kidding me? They have great faculty, and their archaeology program is probably the best in the country.

Their archaeology program really isn't that good. It is very good, don't get me wrong, but it's no holy grail. (and fwiw, it's not really attached to Classics, so you can't equate the two programs - the IPCAA faculty are mostly affiliated with Art History or the museum). I found IPCAA to be really dogmatic and rigid. It even seemed to me like they're not paying much attention to trends in the field now (though I could be wrong on that - it was the impression I got). It was a huge turn off.

What are these supposed rankings? Has anyone made a formal rank of the classics programs?

Here are some interesting questions to consider: What is Harvard's program so weak? Why is Yale's program even weaker? Columbia's seems pretty bad too.

Has the process made anyone else think they might be better going off and making a fortune in business or traveling the world or writing poetry or joining an international separatist group in the jungle or becoming a Don Juan or anything anything else and that only a dweeb or a buffoon with no ambition and no notion of the sublime would submit to five years of memorizing dictionaries and reading philological commentaries in an attempt to climb the petty hierarchy of classics scholarship and academia (not to mention years as an assistant professor in whatever rural wasteland you end up in; the inevitable low salaries; the losers who will be your colleagues - I mean when, really, have you met a Classicist who really struck you as being a superior human being, a man or woman of extraordinary character and beauty and nobility and a wide-ranging intelligence - not, that is, a philological mind crammed with stuffy facts and texts memorized and decaying parchments - )? What a depressing path we are embarking upon, friends... Load the pistol now, Werther -

Has anyone noticed how all the best classicists are at Oxford? But that a PhD from Oxford gets you nowhere on the American job market? What a paradox. How about the fact that Princeton is the only place with a decent placement record? I wonder what you have to do to get into Princeton.

What are these supposed rankings? Has anyone made a formal rank of the classics programs?

Here are some interesting questions to consider: What is Harvard's program so weak? Why is Yale's program even weaker? Columbia's seems pretty bad too.

Has the process made anyone else think they might be better going off and making a fortune in business or traveling the world or writing poetry or joining an international separatist group in the jungle or becoming a Don Juan or anything anything else and that only a dweeb or a buffoon with no ambition and no notion of the sublime would submit to five years of memorizing dictionaries and reading philological commentaries in an attempt to climb the petty hierarchy of classics scholarship and academia (not to mention years as an assistant professor in whatever rural wasteland you end up in; the inevitable low salaries; the losers who will be your colleagues - I mean when, really, have you met a Classicist who really struck you as being a superior human being, a man or woman of extraordinary character and beauty and nobility and a wide-ranging intelligence - not, that is, a philological mind crammed with stuffy facts and texts memorized and decaying parchments - )? What a depressing path we are embarking upon, friends... Load the pistol now, Werther -

Has anyone noticed how all the best classicists are at Oxford? But that a PhD from Oxford gets you nowhere on the American job market? What a paradox. How about the fact that Princeton is the only place with a decent placement record? I wonder what you have to do to get into Princeton.

Wow. You are the most misinformed and ignorant person I know. I really hope I don't end up getting accepted at a place where you end up. Oxford graduates non existent in the US? Complaining about job salaries and "loser colleagues." Can you be any more foolish? And you've never met an awesome classicist? Why are you even applying to Classics graduate schools?

I've certainly met a few classicists with nobility and wide-ranging intelligence. I think the sad thing about classics, or any other discipline for that matter, is that it doesn't necessarily lead to nobility or extraordinary character. People build those characteristics in other ways, and the really good classicists do it through classics. I think most people expect that just because you're accomplished, you're good. I guess that's disappointing to realize, though I hope that my peers might've realized that far before applying to graduate schools.