Classics 2008

kbatulli

Btw, does anybody knows if Fordham's classics program is any good (and what about their placement record...)? And what about Western Ontario (MA)?

I still don't have any news from the departments to which I have applied, so I'm contemplating what would happen in case nobody important wants me and I end up having to choose between the most obscure places... :cry: I've already been accepted for a M.A. at my alma mater (u of Montreal, nothing to brag about, really), so I could remain there if all else fails. I'm currently debating what would be the best move, in case I end up having to choose: PhD at Fordham, MA at Western or MA at UofM?

Btw, does anybody knows if Fordham's classics program is any good (and what about their placement record...)? And what about Western Ontario (MA)?

I don't know anything about Fordham, but I've heard good things about Western Ontario. A friend of mine went there for an MA a couple of years ago and says tht the program is expanding, maybe getting a PHD in a year or two. You gotta like languages, though, since that's mostly what they do there.

Is anyone else interviewing at Brown? I received a request for an interview via email (they didn't actually call it an *interview* but that's obviously what it is since I haven't been offered admission, but rather am on their shortlist). Now I am totally freaking out because I don't know if the people who fly up for interviews are basically "in" as long as they don't royally screw up, or whether, say, they are flying up twice as many people as they are will actually offer admission to. I heard that there is a waitlist as well. If anyone else is going and has more info, or has interviewed at any Classics programs and can tell me what to expect, I would be so grateful! Thanks!

Is anyone else interviewing at Brown? I received a request for an interview via email (they didn't actually call it an *interview* but that's obviously what it is since I haven't been offered admission, but rather am on their shortlist). Now I am totally freaking out because I don't know if the people who fly up for interviews are basically "in" as long as they don't royally screw up, or whether, say, they are flying up twice as many people as they are will actually offer admission to. I heard that there is a waitlist as well. If anyone else is going and has more info, or has interviewed at any Classics programs and can tell me what to expect, I would be so grateful! Thanks!

Wow, you are so lucky! I guess I am not getting in Brown, if people are already interviewing (and I haven't gotten an email...oh well). Good luck!

Wow, you are so lucky! I guess I am not getting in Brown, if people are already interviewing (and I haven't gotten an email...oh well). Good luck!

If you haven't received an actual rejection yet then it might mean that they are hanging on to your app in case offers are declined. The interviews are set for March 13-16, so I would imagine that offers of admission would be made soon after that and then people would start accepting/declining, in which case they might want to fill spots if they go under quota. Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about Fordham, but I've heard good things about Western Ontario. A friend of mine went there for an MA a couple of years ago and says tht the program is expanding, maybe getting a PHD in a year or two. You gotta like languages, though, since that's mostly what they do there.

Thanks a lot. I am going there for the languages, basically. I was told by one of professors that two new Latin professors had been hired. Good thing, that (I'm a Latinist).

This is probably a long shot, but did anyone around here get a funding offer from UW-Seattle? I'm on the alternate list , and it's killing me.

No, but I was also told that I am on the alternate list for funding.

Thanks a lot. I am going there for the languages, basically. I was told by one of professors that two new Latin professors had been hired. Good thing, that (I'm a Latinist).

Yay, Latinist! That will be awesome if they do have two new profs for you to work with.

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking, Acosta hughes for hellenistic poetry, Anne Carson for feminist studies in Ancient Greece, Derek Collins for Epic and rhetoric, Sara Forsdyke for Greek history, Dirk Obbink--papyrology; not to mention Ruth Scodel, who's one of the leading greek philologists of our century...

I agree with kbatulli - Michigan is a great program, a model for what a classics department at a Big 10 university should be. And have you not read any secondary literature on archaic Greek poetry? Janko is all over the bibliography for Homer, Hesiod, lyric poets...

I'm thinking, Acosta hughes for hellenistic poetry, Anne Carson for feminist studies in Ancient Greece, Derek Collins for Epic and rhetoric, Sara Forsdyke for Greek history, Dirk Obbink--papyrology; not to mention Ruth Scodel, who's one of the leading greek philologists of our century...

FYI: Acosta-Hughes is now at Ohio State. Anne Carson is only quarter time in the Classics Department, while the rest of the time she is with Comp. Lit. And Dirk Obbink is more or less full-time at Oxford, though he does have an office still in the UM Classics Department.

There are still lots of great people at Michigan (e.g. Potter, Scodel, Janko, etc.), and the University and Department are in much better shape vis-a-vis the economic crisis than most major programs out there.