Nightmare

tbonetocque

So... about a month ago I got into my dream school with full funding. Great, right? This semester, meanwhile, I've been writing my undergraduate honors thesis, which I just submitted in final form to be defended, well before the final deadline.

I go to talk to thesis advisor yesterday, who informs me that they have not yet contacted the necessary outside evaluator. The advisor, who wrote a LoR for me, apologized saying that they had too much on their plate. Long story short, it seems that a committee may not be ready in time for my graduation.

I wrote about this project in the SoP to said dream school- and while in my discussions with faculty there it's not come up, of course I feel like I have to tell them if it will not be approved by graduation. It's possible that I could delay graduation and take on another semester to defend it, but this means a lot of extra money that I don't really have.

Is it a big deal? Should I write to them? Should I just not mention it? Should I ask my advisor to write the Department (but this feels childish)? Should I write them myself (but I don't want to embarrass my advisor)? It's not just a matter of them possibly rescinding admission- is this possible? - but also of course I want to start off on the right foot at dream school.

You already did your part. It sounds like it's your school's fault for falling through. It doesn't seem like you should be penalized for this, and I doubt if your offer would be rescinded. I would just leave it for now, and plan to attend!

Then again, I have no experience with this and could be completely wrong.

You need to get this fixed - fast. Start with your advisor, explain that you must graduate on time, and ask what can be done to make sure this happens. If you don't get a concrete plan from this person, go to the department chair or whoever is your advisor's supervisor. Explain the situation. Don't blame your advisor, but do ask for assistance in getting this matter resolved.

I would be less worried about burning bridges with these people and more worried about getting out ON TIME.

Frankly, if this is just undergrad, I can't imagine they would hold up your graduation because of their oversight. Also, can you graduate without the honors designation? Perhaps that is another option?

I speak from experience. My master's thesis was completed ONE YEAR before I was due to graduate - had to finish rotations during the last year. One person on my committee didn't bother to look at it until the final quarter before graduation and then went all diva. Luckily, my chair and other committee member weren't having any of it. You need to find someone who will advocate for you.

Good luck!

You need to get this fixed - fast. Start with your advisor, explain that you must graduate on time, and ask what can be done to make sure this happens. If you don't get a concrete plan from this person, go to the department chair or whoever is your advisor's supervisor. Explain the situation. Don't blame your advisor, but do ask for assistance in getting this matter resolved.

I would be less worried about burning bridges with these people and more worried about getting out ON TIME.

Frankly, if this is just undergrad, I can't imagine they would hold up your graduation because of their oversight. Also, can you graduate without the honors designation? Perhaps that is another option?

I speak from experience. My master's thesis was completed ONE YEAR before I was due to graduate - had to finish rotations during the last year. One person on my committee didn't bother to look at it until the final quarter before graduation and then went all diva. Luckily, my chair and other committee member weren't having any of it. You need to find someone who will advocate for you.

Good luck!

Problem isn't graduating on time. A non honors designation is certainly a possibility. But I am concerned that faculty at dream school might not look too favorably after I mentioned that I was working on this honors thesis in my SoP and did not complete it. Not sure if anyone would check.

Problem isn't graduating on time. A non honors designation is certainly a possibility. But I am concerned that faculty at dream school might not look too favorably after I mentioned that I was working on this honors thesis in my SoP and did not complete it. Not sure if anyone would check.

I don't think you need to worry about this. You're still going to graduate, which is the only important thing in terms of going to the grad program. If it's really just a scheduling conflict, your school should be able to amend your transcript after graduation to show you had honors. It's doubtful the prof at the grad school will ever know - but if it comes up just explain the situation. It's not like you've done anything wrong!

They aren't going to check nor will they care.

Not your fault! A real nightmare would be fearing somehow you'd not finish a thesis on time! You're so lucky you're already done. I'm still working it.

If -- in some weird circumstance -- said dream school mentions it, just offer to let them read your thesis. :D Win.

So... about a month ago I got into my dream school with full funding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the main point of contention, right? So, assuming you agree to the paperwork they've given you, I find it HIGHLY unlikely they will retract their offer. They picked you up because of the knowledge, experience and potential they saw in you, not the line about finishing your dissertation and honors in undergrad. You'll never lose that experience of doing the dissertation.

If they completion of your thesis is important to you, see if you can get the evaluator during the summer or something of the like - hey, it's the school that was arranging it for you, so they should at least bend here - and that shouldn't be that difficult to do. Good luck, God bless and congrats!