Any SLP Master's Applicants?

SLPtoBe

I'm a hearing and speech major at Ohio University, decided to go more towards Audiology but all of my friends are SLP's and anxiously awaiting their letters. The only people who have heard back are those that applied to Miami University (ohio). And those that heard were just acceptances. Waiting sucks and its killing all of us. Each day we leave the house and say a little prayer for just one letter. lol pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this was an interesting week! Right before I had to take a midterm, I found out that the CD department at U Wisconsin-Madison has recommended me for admission! Yesterday, I got rejected from the Med SLP program at UW-Seattle. It's for the best, I'm sure. I'd really love to go to Madison, in addition to it being an excellent program, rent there is so cheap!

Anyone going to the MGH Info Session next weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't apply to Northeastern, though a few of my friends did. I know one person that has received an acceptance there, and the others haven't heard yet.

Anyone have final decisions yet? I'm having a hard time deciding!

I haven't visited Madison yet, but I'm really leaning towards MGH.

Pros:

++Excellent medical outplacements

+Research opportunities I'm really interested in

++Don't have to leave my job at MEEI

+Get to stay in my lovely apartment

++Don't have to leave my BF and family here

+One of my friends from my undergrad program is going there

+Clinic "dyads"

Cons:

-Not interested in the reading component

---More expensive!

I'm currently trying to decide between Emerson and MGH - I keep changing my mind every day (and the time to put that deposit down is coming up very fast!). MGH's medical placements, research opportunities, and the huge range of courses are really amazing and don't seem to be offered at other Boston-area schools. However I have to second SLPtoBe - MGH is extremely expensive, which is part of the reason I'm considering Emerson. All of my professors (who all did their master's programs in Boston schools) told me then in this field it really doesn't matter where you get the degree, as long as you get it, and to not take out a lot of loans because it simply wouldn't be worth it. Anyone have any insight into this situation? I'm going to see Emerson next weekend, so maybe that will shed some light on it!

I'm at Emerson now but I don't plan on going there. Not because I think it's a bad program, I just want a change. I've volunteered in the clinic and have friends in the grad program, so I have a pretty good idea of what it's like. Is there anything you want to know about it?

• 1 month later...

I applied to San Diego State University and got rejected on 3/19/08 via postal service. =( I finally heard back for University of Redlands, and I've been wait-listed. A little inconvenient when you don't know where you're gonna live in a month... has anyone else applied to University of Redlands as a Post-Bacc.?

• 10 months later...

Hey I'm here! Currently deciding if I can afford to attend Vanderbilt with 50% tuition covered. I love everything I have heard about it, but I am just very concerned about student loan debt in this economy. On the other hand, I feel that it would offer me the best preparation for my interest in feeding/swallowing in pediatrics.

Tulip O'hare, I just heard back from UMD at the end of last week, via email. In the email they congratulated me on my recent acceptance, in reference to a letter, but I have yet to receieve anything in the mail. They must still be notifying students, so dont worry! I also haven't heard back from TC, although someone else did on grad cafe apparently. Good luck! Which was your top choice?

Well, no. As indicated in my sig. I'm hoping you're not asking that with a surprised intonation. :cry:

A little surprised, yeah. I heard back from Maryland at the beginning of February. Have you checked Testudo?

Still waiting on their financial aid, though. They said I'd be hearing about an award "in the near future." That was a month ago. Nu?

hailmerry, I also have the same concerns. I have about 50% tuition covered at MGH and BU, which leaves. . .still a lot of money. Trying to think of the best way to get Emerson to give me something, too. It keeps me up at night worrying.

A little surprised, yeah. I heard back from Maryland at the beginning of February. Have you checked Testudo?

Still waiting on their financial aid, though. They said I'd be hearing about an award "in the near future." That was a month ago. Nu?

Nu shto? I haven't heard anything at all and Testudo says "Pending Decision."

sigh.

Which was your top choice?

I'd actually be very happy to go to any of them -- TC is intense clinically (important to me because I've been a research assistant for 4 years and I'm f'n tired of research!) and has a bilingual program; NYU is a small program with a lot of cool young faculty; Maryland is a huge program with well-established and interesting clinical stuff going on; Temple has a bilingual program and is by far the most affordable of the four.