Any SLP Master's Applicants?

SLPtoBe

I'm a non-speech undergrad major applying for a masters degree in SLP. Has anyone heard from Temple, GW, or Northwestern?

Yeah, I heard back from Northwestern on 3/1. I logged into my original online application and there was a link to "Admissions Decision" at the bottom of the page. Got a snail mail letter a couple days later. I'd love to go there, but it's just way too expensive. Also a non-SLP undergrad here, so I have to make up the prereqs. Northwestern doesn't have a concentrated summer program like the others (aside from Maryland, but I get in-state tuition there so it's OK) and it would cost an extra year. Too much money!

yivorecheco, do you happen to know if in-state students hear sooner than out-of-state students at Maryland? It would make sense if they had to give priority to in-staters.

fwiw, speechpathos09, I'm in-state for Temple and have all kindsa other Temple connections, and I haven't heard either.

yivorecheco, do you happen to know if in-state students hear sooner than out-of-state students at Maryland? It would make sense if they had to give priority to in-staters.

fwiw, speechpathos09, I'm in-state for Temple and have all kindsa other Temple connections, and I haven't heard either.

Wow! You still haven't heard from Temple? Wonder whats going on.

Congrats! I'm still waiting...

Thanks! It's a good program that's very active in the specialty I'm going for (bilingual), but it is so... friggin... expensive. I could get a Teach NYC scholarship that pays full tuition in return for a service commitment. No word yet from fin aid on whether other scholarships and etc. have gone out.

Just outta curiousity, where did you apply, speechpathos09?

Thanks! It's a good program that's very active in the specialty I'm going for (bilingual), but it is so... friggin... expensive. I could get a Teach NYC scholarship that pays full tuition in return for a service commitment. No word yet from fin aid on whether other scholarships and etc. have gone out.

Just outta curiousity, where did you apply, speechpathos09?

I applied to GW, UMD, Howard, Temple, and Northwestern

I checked OWLnet (Temple's internal registration system) this morning and found out I was accepted as of last night.

If they sent you a TUID after you applied*, you should be able to log onto http://owlnet.temple.edu/. Look at the tabs at the top of the page and there should be a light green tab in the top right that says "Graduate Applications." Click through a couple more screens and you should see a big list of the parts of your application and the dates they received them -- at the very top is "Decision" and "Date." If this part is blank, then they haven't made a decision yet (mine was blank until today).

* Some of the schools I applied to sent me student ID numbers after receiving my app, some didn't. I don't know if Temple does because I already had a TUID before I applied.

I'm a future speechie and I'm really wanting to hear from Teacher's College (they're one of my top choices) but I hear they've been really crappy when it comes to giving out decisions (last year a friend of mine didn't even hear she was rejected until late april...wtf?). Hoping i hear from them soon because I wouldn't mind go back to the east coast.

I checked OWLnet (Temple's internal registration system) this morning and found out I was accepted as of last night.

If they sent you a TUID after you applied*, you should be able to log onto http://owlnet.temple.edu/. Look at the tabs at the top of the page and there should be a light green tab in the top right that says "Graduate Applications." Click through a couple more screens and you should see a big list of the parts of your application and the dates they received them -- at the very top is "Decision" and "Date." If this part is blank, then they haven't made a decision yet (mine was blank until today).

* Some of the schools I applied to sent me student ID numbers after receiving my app, some didn't. I don't know if Temple does because I already had a TUID before I applied.

Mine is still blank :(

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before. :) I'm going to grad school at my undergraduate school this fall, having committed to debt for several years... but I love my advisor and I have a home three blocks away from it. ^_^ Best of luck to everyone getting funding!

I applied for UBC's MSc SLP program, but I'm 99.99% what the result will be since it's such a competitive field and they're so GPA-focused. I wasn't planning to apply at all but did so at the encouragement of my references!

Next year, I plan to apply to UBC and University of Western Washington (possibly University of Western Ontario too, if we're more financially stable to handle a move). I honestly have no back up plan if I don't get into grad school for SLP- I've been volunteering in a clinic for almost a year now, and I LOVE those kids. That day is honestly the brightest part of my whole week, every week. :)

I am going for my first interview on Wednesday :|. Does anyone have any experience with Loyola? I was accepted a few weeks ago. I know some have been rejected from TC already, and others that I've talked to say that TC has notified them to tell them their application is "still on the table."

Well, waitlisted at Maryland.

Still biting my nails for NYU.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you get in off the waitlist and that NYU sends good news!

I visited MGHIHP this weekend and I don't think I'm going to go there. I liked the faculty and students I met but it seems unusually intense and I don't think I like not having a university infrastructure associated with the program. It feels like something is missing. On the other hand, the close association with MGH is great; we wandered around in the hospital a bit waiting for the shuttle and it was a pretty amazing place. But you really can't go wrong with any medical facilities in Boston.

Aww, thanks, yivorichecho. I'm a lot less nervous about the waitlist now that I'm in at other places, though -- my worst case scenario is now "selling my organs to afford grad school," not "not going to grad school." :D Have you got a front-runner in mind?

Aww, thanks, yivorichecho. I'm a lot less nervous about the waitlist now that I'm in at other places, though -- my worst case scenario is now "selling my organs to afford grad school," not "not going to grad school." :D Have you got a front-runner in mind?

I'm leaning toward Maryland at this point but I haven't even visited there yet and I still have to look at Emerson and BU this weekend, so I guess anything could happen. Being close to home again after 4 years halfway across the country is pretty appealing for a lot of reasons. One of the student hosts at MGH said Maryland was "too small" for her, but I kind of like the sound of that.

I hear you on the finances, these numbers are scary! How do people pay these rents?

Hi all,

I'm a future SLP Master's student - current undergrad at Temple. Any questions you have about the program, feel free to ask me.

I've been accepted to Loyola in MD, GWU, and Colorado. Waitlisted at MD. Still waiting on CUNY Hunter and Temple (very frustrating).

I'm leaning towards Colorado. Want a change in scenery. Any thoughts?

kgrowe, do you know why Temple makes grad applicants wait until midsummer to find out about assistantships and etc.? Is something going on in the department or is it a university-wide thing?

And if you want a change of scenery, going from a flat coastal place in the Northeast to a mountainous place in the West sounds like a good one. :) Particularly if you like doing anything outdoors, Colorado's a fantastic place for it.

While we're waiting, let's dork out a bit. What aspects of SLP are y'all most interested in? I am really excited to learn everything, but I'm most interested in "bilingual" stuff, working with non-English speaking and ESL/ELL people. In addition to the actual clinical work, I also like the advocacy side of it -- driving home the idea that nonnative English speakers are different, not broken. I have some experience working with aphasics, which is really fascinating; I'd like to keep a toe in that too.

While we're waiting, let's dork out a bit. What aspects of SLP are y'all most interested in? I am really excited to learn everything, but I'm most interested in "bilingual" stuff, working with non-English speaking and ESL/ELL people. In addition to the actual clinical work, I also like the advocacy side of it -- driving home the idea that nonnative English speakers are different, not broken. I have some experience working with aphasics, which is really fascinating; I'd like to keep a toe in that too.

Cool. I actually majored in theatre in undergrad, so this is a major career shift for me. If I do go to GW (I hope they offer funding), we work clinical tracks in every area. I am interested in working with aphasics too, how was that experience? Primarily, I want to work with senior citizens who have neurological disorders (strokes, etc).

I just got back from revisits at BU and Emerson. I loved BU. I didn't expect to for whatever reason, but I adored this school. They gave us an extremely detailed tour, talking in small groups with all the professors, watching students in clinic, etc. It took 1.5 hours just to see 2 floors of one building. I got a great vibe from the program. I thought I was settled on Maryland (doing my visit this Friday) but this is complicating things. Emerson, I don't know. I liked it a lot more when I saw it last summer.

Has anyone been to open houses and been surprised by the number of parents there? It was like being back in undergrad, almost. Why do so many parents come to these things? My parents are interested in what I'm doing, of course, but they feel that it's no longer appropriate for them to be there and that it has to be all me at this point. Emerson was insanely crowded because of all the parents tagging along.

Hi yivorechecho,

That's exciting to hear how much you liked BU. I have decided to attend the more expensive option though I am unable to attend an open house until April 13. Now that I've settled on it, I hope that I am just as excited after attending an open house as I am now. I will have to turn down a scholarship at another school by April 1 so it is sort of putting all my eggs in one basket, but I am confident it is the right choice. I will have to work part time to afford this option which I'm not as thrilled about, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Also, I am pretty shocked that parents would attend a grad school open house. Not to sound judgemental, because I'm sure most parents are just curious and not trying to rule their children's lives. As for me, I'm 24 and every time I try to get a little advice from my parents, they refuse to give me anything other than that "its up to me." I'm glad they don't put any pressure on me, but I think they think its a little foolish to turn down a full scholarship for one that only covers half. I've crunched the numbers and still think its worth it, so bring on the loans!