Any SLP Master's Applicants?

SLPtoBe

I am interested in working with aphasics too, how was that experience?

To be fair, the people I see are people motivated enough to commit to a six-month-long research study, so it isn't necessarily a representative group. But I was a linguistics major in undergrad, so it's been totally fascinating for me figuring out which aspects of their speech are still intact, which ones are damaged and how, what strategies they use to prop up their deficits, etc. In addition to research my workplace also runs social events for aphasics, and working those has been both awesome (all the patients are so incredibly patient, helpful, and supportive with each other) and sad (this is the ONLY social interaction a lot of these people get, for various reasons, and then most aphasic people have no access to this kind of thing at all). My boss is also very active in aphasia awareness, and it's nice to see that once they actually have aphasia explained to them, people do get that loss of language ability is not the same thing as loss of intelligence.

Also, I am pretty shocked that parents would attend a grad school open house.

I'm pretty shocked too. Now I'm wondering if I should also be shocked that neither of my schools are having open houses or visiting weekends. :|

Hello all,

I always hated these admissions processes. I go to Bklyn's undergrad program in SLP. I was admitted to Hunter saw this online. I'm still waiting on TC so I'm surprised others have heard back already (probably not a good sign for me). Today, I received a rejection letter in the mail from NYU. This is so ridiculous b/c my grades and gres are top notch. WTVR, I'll survive. Does anyone know if CUNY Hunter has a good program and if I should go to it?

Thanks

Hey tulip,

It's wierd that I heard from NYU and you didn't and I still haven't heard back from TC yet. But I think I will be accepting Hunter. I agree, I don't think I can turn that bang from your buck down.

Good Luck

Thanks

Has anyone heard about funding, scholarships, anything from any of the speech therapy programs?

I have been accepted to Columbia, BU, GW, Pitt, Northwestern, NYU, and Univ Of Maryland. I haven't heard about funds yet from any of these. Any ideas of if/when we will hear? Thanks.

Has anyone heard about funding, scholarships, anything from any of the speech therapy programs?

I have been accepted to Columbia, BU, GW, Pitt, Northwestern, NYU, and Univ Of Maryland. I haven't heard about funds yet from any of these. Any ideas of if/when we will hear? Thanks.

I just found out that I am Waitlisted at Northwestern. They indicated that news of my acceptance or rejection as well as funding opportunities will occur on April 18th.

Yes. I have 2 merit scholarship offers from BU and MGH that came with the acceptance packets and was just offered an assistantship at Maryland this week. I will be accepting that offer and heading to College Park in the fall. I really liked the people and the program when I visited, and the in-state tuition and a chance to be back home are too good to pass up. I'm also going to be living with a friend from high school. I'm really excited.

I'd expect you should hear something very soon on funding as April 15 is approaching, but a lot of schools may be short this year. Didn't NYU lose tens of millions with Bernie Madoff?

Cool. I actually majored in theatre in undergrad, so this is a major career shift for me. If I do go to GW (I hope they offer funding), we work clinical tracks in every area. I am interested in working with aphasics too, how was that experience? Primarily, I want to work with senior citizens who have neurological disorders (strokes, etc)

Speechpathos09--I am primarily interested in adult neurological disorders and I have decided on GW...still hoping for funding as well!! Gahh...so expensive. Anyways, hope to meet you in the fall!

kgrowe, do you know why Temple makes grad applicants wait until midsummer to find out about assistantships and etc.? Is something going on in the department or is it a university-wide thing?

And if you want a change of scenery, going from a flat coastal place in the Northeast to a mountainous place in the West sounds like a good one. :) Particularly if you like doing anything outdoors, Colorado's a fantastic place for it.

It's a university-wide thing. It's a HUUUUGE school so it takes them so long to do everything; lots of red tape. I go there now and just received my letter of acceptance (even after all my professors told me I got in). I haven't heard about financial assistance for any school - I was thinking it was related to FAFSA.

What does anyone know about Temple Grad program?

I'm an undergrad there currently, graduating in May. It's a really great program (the best I'd say in Greater Philly area) and awesome because of its urban location. Also well-known for bilingual work (Dr. Goldstein). I got accepted, but I want a change from the past 4 years so I am committing to Univ of Colorado @ Boulder.

Speechpathos09--I am primarily interested in adult neurological disorders and I have decided on GW...still hoping for funding as well!! Gahh...so expensive. Anyways, hope to meet you in the fall!

Cool! I'm probably going to GW. They already told me since I am not SLP undergrad, I have to go into the re-entry program which does not offer funding for the first year. Looks like I have to tough it out with loans for the first year and hope I do well enough to receive a fellowship for the following two years.

From e-mails and phone calls I made this week...

NYU does not fund master's students, period, end of story. Pretty lame considering they're the most expensive of that whole list.

Columbia is supposed to be making its scholarship nominations this week. There are assistantships, but they are few, and first-year students rarely get them.

I got in to Northwestern and Pitt too! I haven't heard anything about funding from either though....I talked to my advisor about Pitt and she told me that they never make funding decisions until after the 15th :|

Has anyone made decisions yet? I can't pick and it's driving me nuts....I got into Case Western Reserve University (where I go for undergrad), Ohio State University, University of Cincinnati, Duquesne University, Pitt, Rush University, and Northwestern. I'm definitely leaning towards Northwestern, Pitt, or Rush but they're all soooo expensive!!!

Also about the whole families and open houses thread, I recently attended a very small open house--4 prospective students including me...one of the prospects brought her parents, siblings, AND boyfriend.

I got in to Northwestern and Pitt too! I haven't heard anything about funding from either though....I talked to my advisor about Pitt and she told me that they never make funding decisions until after the 15th :|

Has anyone made decisions yet? I can't pick and it's driving me nuts....I got into Case Western Reserve University (where I go for undergrad), Ohio State University, University of Cincinnati, Duquesne University, Pitt, Rush University, and Northwestern. I'm definitely leaning towards Northwestern, Pitt, or Rush but they're all soooo expensive!!!

Also about the whole families and open houses thread, I recently attended a very small open house--4 prospective students including me...one of the prospects brought her parents, siblings, AND boyfriend.

Yup, I went to Maryland's open house on Friday and there were more parents there. 4 for 4 on that front. I guess a few of them were driving in from out of town and the parents thought they should just stay since they'd come on the trip anyway, but my parents went with me to Boston and they still stayed out of the open houses. They just went off and did other stuff and told me to call when I wanted to meet up. It would have felt too weird to have them there and I think I would have been more hesitant to ask questions and try to meet people.

I did decide on Maryland, by the way. I thought I was going to have a really horrible time picking between 4 programs but when I visited them all it became a lot clearer. It's a big relief to know for certain where I'll be in the fall.

I did decide on Maryland, by the way. I thought I was going to have a really horrible time picking between 4 programs but when I visited them all it became a lot clearer. It's a big relief to know for certain where I'll be in the fall.

Congratulations!! Considering my visits I'm leaning toward going to Pittsburgh myself, I'm just trying to get over the loans I'll have to take out...

It is done: I have chosen Temple.

I love the department at TC, but I simply cannot afford to go. The NYC DOE scholarship could pay for a lot of it, but I'm not willing to commit to being in NYC for 8 1/2 years when I could have Temple completely paid off before then.

It's disappointing to have a door opened and then closed for you -- but I'm not at all disappointed about going to Temple! It's a department with a huge range of interests, I already know some of the faculty, and I get to stay in a place I love.

I'm heading up to WSU-Spokane for my SLP master's program in August. No word on funding at this point although my folder's marked as being interested in a TA-ship. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyone else going into the WSU/EWU program?

As far as academic/research interests go, I'm interested in Autism spectrum disorders and bilingualism.

Melirisho, I'm going to Loyola (MD)! I was impressed by my visit to the clinic and had a good overall feeling about the program, particularly with the clinical experience. I also spoke with a second year student who has been very happy with her experience there. I like that they throw you into the clinic right off the bat in your first semester with at least 5-7 clients. There are about 40 students per class (80 total in both years combined), and supervision is 1:1. Students attend classes on Mondays from about 9-5, and see clients for the rest of the week. The director of program operations told me that between classes and clinical work, I should expect to be on campus from 9-5 Monday through Friday. Students also take classes and complete clinical internship rotations during the summer between the first and second year, so the program runs for two academic years and the summer in between them. I expect the program to be rigorous, but I think that I will be well prepared for a career in SLP if I can get through it!

• 3 weeks later...