MBA/MPP decision

JWSS

Hello! I've been a lurker for the past couple of weeks as I prepare for the 2018-19 application cycle, and this forum has been incredibly valuable. Since the application season is pretty much over, I thought this would be a good time to ask a question that's been on my mind for the last few months: was anyone else who eventually applied to an MPP/MPA program deciding between one of those programs and an MBA? I feel like almost daily my thought process changes.

A little bit of background about me: I am an American currently working in international development in sub-Saharan Africa. I absolutely want a career in int'l development, but I'm just not sure the best way to get there. Yes, programs like SAIS open a lot of opportunities in that respect (and seem culturally like an incredible fit), but in the venn diagram of MPPs and MBAs, there's a lot of overlap especially when it comes to development consulting (at least as far as I can tell). I think I could get into a better MPP than MBA program, and a couple of my ex-colleagues went on to WWS and one to HKS, but others are in MBAs at Cornell and Georgetown. I also know that I'd probably be able to more quickly pay down any debt I might have with an MBA, but the "fit" of the MPP/MPA programs is much better for my background and interests.

Do you all have any thoughts? I'd love to hear from someone who was in a similar position, or who plans on working in development in the future!

I didn't apply to any MBA programs, but I have two thoughts:

1) Dual MPP/MBA programs are pretty common. If you have strong reasoning why both would help you achieve your goals, plenty of schools have programs where you can get both degrees in 3 years.

2) Why do you think you'd be able to more quickly pay down your debt with an MBA? I think post-grad income is dependent more on the industry you're in than the specific degree you get, and people conflate the two because people who get MBAs tend to pursue higher-income careers in finance, consulting etc. more often than MPPs, which leads to the perception that MBAs necessarily lead to better-paying jobs. If you've already settled on development consulting as a sector, the jobs that will be available to you probably won't be that different whether you get an MPP or an MBA. You'll probably be making about the same amount of money regardless of the degree you choose because of the industry you want to enter.

Hi! 

I agree with buff_hamster on everything. I'll just add my perspective in regards to the first point.

I'm about to enter HKS as an MPP student and frankly couldn't believe the amount of dualies (MPP(A)/MBA) there were. Half of the folks I met during the visit days were also pursuing their MBA...and a quarter of folks who weren't yet in that cohort were thinking about applying to pursue their MBA (like me!). 

@Damis

Do you feel like you’re more likely to get into an MBA program at Harvard applying from HKS than you would otherwise be? That would make sense, but I’ve always been curious what that feels like from the inside. 

On 6/22/2018 at 11:14 AM, JWSS said:

@Damis

Do you feel like you’re more likely to get into an MBA program at Harvard applying from HKS than you would otherwise be? That would make sense, but I’ve always been curious what that feels like from the inside. 

You may already know this, but you have to apply to the MPA/MBA program at the same time to do joint at Harvard. So now that I'm in at HKS, I can't apply to HBS this year. I could apply next year, but then I'd have to do the normal 2 year route. I didn't apply to HBS because I wanted to attend an MBA program at another institution (essentially I wanted another network), but I sorta regret it now that I know a bit more about the combination of schools. 

With the other MBA programs, that's the tactic I'll be using for sure. My standardized test scores weren't so great, but I have a demonstrated background with data and, come to find out, a bit more experience than a bunch of my fellow classmates. HKS does have a bit of quant, so I'm hoping to rock all of that and combine it with the school's name overall to help me make my case. I'll hopefully be applying Round 1, however, so I don't know if I'll have much of an academic impression to make by the time deadlines are around.

I've heard that a lot of folks actually do apply to business school once they're in at HKS, so I'm not freaking out about it much. If you're like me, the idea of applying to both schools with my life at the moment, let alone back in October-December would have been impossible. I barely got the HKS application in haha! I imagine many are in that position and want to utilize the extra year to apply.

You do have to be mindful of the deadline dates, however, with many of the R1 deadlines coming up right after class starts (my top choice has a deadline of September 18...class starts on September 6th). Many of the MBA programs are also only just opening up their applications as well, so there's not a huge window to put together an application. Just be as strategic managing the process as you'll be in applying to Public Policy programs and you'll be fine!

@Damis

So wait, you're going to apply to an MBA while in your first year at HKS? How does that work when you get accepted for Fall 2019 and you're starting your second year at HKS? Or would you just try to split time between Harvard and like MIT for the MBA? Just curious how that would work being a simultaneous student in both programs.

I'm so torn this application cycle. I'm definitely interested in both MBA/MPP programs as they'll each get me where I want to be career-wise, but I'd also like to go wherever I get into the best program. I'm working in community economic development for Peace Corps right now so most of my application fees are waived, so part of me wants to just put out a lot of apps and see who bites, but another part feels like I should just make up my mind and apply to mostly MBAs or MPP/MPAs. Thankfully the nature of my job means I have quite a bit of time to put together applications, so we'll see.

3 hours ago, JWSS said:

@Damis

So wait, you're going to apply to an MBA while in your first year at HKS? How does that work when you get accepted for Fall 2019 and you're starting your second year at HKS? Or would you just try to split time between Harvard and like MIT for the MBA? Just curious how that would work being a simultaneous student in both programs.

I'm so torn this application cycle. I'm definitely interested in both MBA/MPP programs as they'll each get me where I want to be career-wise, but I'd also like to go wherever I get into the best program. I'm working in community economic development for Peace Corps right now so most of my application fees are waived, so part of me wants to just put out a lot of apps and see who bites, but another part feels like I should just make up my mind and apply to mostly MBAs or MPP/MPAs. Thankfully the nature of my job means I have quite a bit of time to put together applications, so we'll see.

Yup! I'll be applying to business school over the next few months...putting myself through another round of pain and suffering. Glutton for punishment! :)

You basically have it correct. If accepted (Gods be good) I would more than likely start my MBA during the Fall semester of 2019. It also depends on the school, too. For instance, I called Wharton today and they have a rather interesting situation with HKS. They would probably require me to do my first year and first half of my third year there. I'd then finish my last semester at HKS. That's generally how it flows with all schools from what I'm seeing.

I would encourage you to think it through rather carefully. You'll find the process can be a bit overwhelming...especially if you haven't yet tested. I only applied to HKS and it was still a whirlwind. I also had a Fellowship past that allowed me to apply to a bunch of MPP/MPA programs for free, but I ultimately only applied for one anyway haha. It worked out rather well on my end though and I'm hoping the best for you too! :)

• If you didn't have the profile (WE & stats) to get admitted as a regular MBA student, your status as an HKS student have virtually zero impact. Plenty of HKS students apply to MBA programs and get rejected because their WE and/or stats aren't up to par
  • The converse is not true - it's virtually impossible for an MBA student to get rejected by HKS if they put the bare minimum of effort
  • If the MBA programs like your application, they will send invites to interview. If you do not get an interview invite, you will not get accepted
  • Majority of non-HBS MBA students (basically 90%+) end up doing MBA/MPA at HKS because of the flexibility. Although HKS looks to be changing this somewhat
  • HBS students have to do MPP and that sucks because the core classes add very little to the MBA curriculum
  • You split a year - 1.5 semesters at MBA program, 1.5 years at HKS. Some programs are more flexible when you can split. If this is the case, you have to think carefully about which class you want to graduate with
  • Do not expect to get funding (unless admitted to HBS/GSB which are needs-based) 

@Nonprofitguy

Thank you! That was exactly the information I was looking for. One question though, what do you mean by "Majority of non-HBS MBA students (basically 90%+) end up doing MBA/MPA at HKS because of the flexibility. Although HKS looks to be changing this somewhat"? 

Non HBS MBA students from where?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, JWSS said:

@Nonprofitguy

Thank you! That was exactly the information I was looking for. One question though, what do you mean by "Majority of non-HBS MBA students (basically 90%+) end up doing MBA/MPA at HKS because of the flexibility. Although HKS looks to be changing this somewhat"? 

Non HBS MBA students from where?

Thanks!

The established dual degree programs: Stanford GSB, Wharton, MIT Sloan, Dartmouth Tuck.

You should read the HKS guide here for more info about the dual degree process.

• 3 months later...

My MBA/MPP experience is from the Heller School at Brandeis, which I have graduated from.

The MBA degree was added to the Heller School's roster of programs because students from the other programs, particularly the MPPs, often have a difficult time finding work after graduation. I'm unsure if that is as true for the MPPs from all schools or just Heller. These days, there are plenty of Heller students who choose the MBA program over the MPP or SID because of employment options. The MBAs generally get work and they are generally fairly decent jobs. (Unless they are silver spoon babies who just like to float. Brandeis is still a bit elitist and you see this sometimes.)

Heller is a small school but it can be very generous with aid. I'd rather have a degree from there and zero debt than an MPP or MPA from HKS (but I know people will fight me on that decision). Always visit before committing though. Heller isn't for everyone.

Edited by LadyJuju
grammar