I don't feel I have enough research experience to apply, but a mentor is interested in me?

TrishaK1997

Hi,

So I'm a psychology undergraduate who unfortunately has pretty limited research experience for a rising senior. I began working an Autism Research Lab this January, now I'm completing a directed project with the lab for the summer, and I'll be writing a thesis with this lab for my senior year. I am also working in a psycho physiology lab this summer. A couple weeks ago, an Autism researcher from Dalhousie University visited my lab, and spoke to a few of the interns. She was interested in my project and asked if I was planning on applying to graduate school. I said yes but that I would probably be taking a gap year; however, I mentioned that I would apply this year if I had identified a really good fit. She emailed me this week and asked if I would like to Skype her. 

The reason I only recently became involved in research is because I was planning to go to OT school. I didn't believe in my ability to pursue a PhD until recently. 

So, if the Skype call goes well, I would be applying to Dalhousie's Clinical Psychology program this Fall. If the research fit is great, will that help compensate for my sort of limited research experience? Or should I still take a gap year? Thanks for the advice.

Okay, honestly I'm also a rising senior so I don't know how qualified I am to answer this, but I would say go for it! My advisor has told me that research fit is super important, and if this researcher has expressed enough interest to offer to Skype you, that's definitely worth an application. And even if you end up not getting in, you can take a gap year as planned.

10 hours ago, TrishaK1997 said:

Hi,

So I'm a psychology undergraduate who unfortunately has pretty limited research experience for a rising senior. I began working an Autism Research Lab this January, now I'm completing a directed project with the lab for the summer, and I'll be writing a thesis with this lab for my senior year. I am also working in a psycho physiology lab this summer. A couple weeks ago, an Autism researcher from Dalhousie University visited my lab, and spoke to a few of the interns. She was interested in my project and asked if I was planning on applying to graduate school. I said yes but that I would probably be taking a gap year; however, I mentioned that I would apply this year if I had identified a really good fit. She emailed me this week and asked if I would like to Skype her. 

The reason I only recently became involved in research is because I was planning to go to OT school. I didn't believe in my ability to pursue a PhD until recently. 

So, if the Skype call goes well, I would be applying to Dalhousie's Clinical Psychology program this Fall. If the research fit is great, will that help compensate for my sort of limited research experience? Or should I still take a gap year? Thanks for the advice.

It’s worth applying if the lab is a good fit and you’d be okay with going there. Having a faculty member who wants to accept you is the most important thing. I applied to dal and all applicants need to be approved by the clinical admissions committee, but I wouldn’t worry about that. 

I would plan to take a gap year, but apply to a couple places just in case! It sounds like that professor is interested in working with you. If you think it's a program you would like, it can't hurt to apply. If you don't get in, take your gap year and apply again. Applying will also give you some practice for the next time if you don't get in :)

On 6/16/2018 at 10:21 AM, TrishaK1997 said:

Hi,

It's good that she is interested in you and your project. Lots of people take a gap year if they don't feel like they have enough research experience. It sounds like you would have less than a year of research experience at the time of applying this fall, so that is not a lot in comparison to some people who are bringing in 3-5 years. That being said, mentor fit is the most important aspect of the application. Ultimately, it is up to the mentor (and the application committees) to determine who will be joining their lab and the program. 

I don't admit to know anything about Dalhousie's reputation, but I do know it is in Canada. If you are pursuing clinical and are a resident of the U.S. and want to return to work/practice in the U.S., you might want to consider issues of reciprocity. Canada and the U.S. are about the most reciprocal you get out of any U.S.-other country combo, but there are still issues sometimes. I would definitely ask your prospective and current mentor about this, as well as other people in the field who know more on this issue than I do. 

Also, if you take a gap year, I would recommend trying to find a paid RA job and taking at least 2 years, if possible. You won't get any meaningful pubs or posters out of a 1 year position, most likely, as it takes 6-8 months to fully get up to speed and develop your own ideas in the new lab. Most people take 2+ years of gap if they take any gap.