Pittsburgh GRE Recency Requirement

mithrandir8

Apologies for the narrow post topic, but I was just looking at Pittsburgh's application page (https://www.philosophy.pitt.edu/graduate/apply), and it says that GRE scores "should be no more than two years old." My past impression, and the policy I've seen everywhere else and on the GRE website, is that the scores are good for five years. Does anyone know anything about this? I would really rather not choose between not applying there or taking the GRE again.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:14 AM, mithrandir8 said:

Apologies for the narrow post topic, but I was just looking at Pittsburgh's application page (https://www.philosophy.pitt.edu/graduate/apply), and it says that GRE scores "should be no more than two years old." My past impression, and the policy I've seen everywhere else and on the GRE website, is that the scores are good for five years. Does anyone know anything about this? I would really rather not choose between not applying there or taking the GRE again.

I don't know about their specific requirement, but if I were in this situation, I think I'd consider getting in touch with whomever handles graduate admissions at Pitt, and inquire as to whether this is a hard requirement or not given the specifics of your situation. If your scores are, say, three years old, perhaps they'd be willing to accept them anyway. It might be worth a shot.

I'm also curious about this. Pitt is the only school on my list with this requirement, so it would be nice if the requirement were no longer in effect for some reason. That said, if they weren't serious about the requirement, why would they keep it on their website, which seems to be updated fairly regularly? 

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the person and it turns out that, on a year-to-year basis, they sometimes accept GREs that are up to 5 years old, but that that is a decision for the admissions director, who has yet to be determined for the coming cycle. I'll let you folks know if I hear anything more.