Useful books/resources for teaching- assistants ?

CharlieR

Hi everyone ! 

I am starting my PHD in the fall with a teaching assistanship ! I taught during my masters at well but felt very unprepared. I was wondering if some of you had books or resources that could help me prepare better !

Thanks !

9 hours ago, CharlieR said:

Hi everyone ! 

I am starting my PHD in the fall with a teaching assistanship ! I taught during my masters at well but felt very unprepared. I was wondering if some of you had books or resources that could help me prepare better !

Thanks !

• Read and reread all of your school's policies and training materials on work, on teaching, and student conduct.
    • Make a list of the grey areas between policies as well as of the questions you have.
    • Make sure you get those questions answered before stepping in a class room.
  • Read and reread the course syllabus.
    • Understand that at some institutions, if not in a court of law, it is a contract between you and your students.
    • Revise it as necessary to give yourself flexibility without compromising the overall structure of the class.
  • Read and watch Oleanna.
    • Regardless of what you think of Carol, make sure you understand what she's saying about the dynamics of power. Accept that there's some of John in all of us.
  • Watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
    • Regardless of what you think of Jade Fox, make sure you understand what she's saying about personal ambition and betrayal.
  • Avoid the CHE fora on teaching.
    • That place is a swamp in which educators disrespect their students and thereby themselves and the craft of teaching.

#HTH

I got training at my old university but it was not very interesting. A lot of FERPA stuff and "don't date your students" but not a lot regarding pedagogy. Hopefully my new school's training is better ^^