Moving overseas - anyone else anxious and homesick?

Nocturnae

I honestly never thought I would feel like this. I have never been particularly happy here in my country. And now I got accepted to a program I am really excited about, under the supervision of a professor that I really admire, in a country that I really like. However, with the moving date approaching, I am getting more and more nervous, and almost homesick already. It feels weird to leave my family behind as well as all things that are familiar to me.

Does anyone else feel like this? I guess I am just looking to see if there are other people going through this. I feel like people tend to hide this side of the process while solely projecting the good stuff.

Oh yeah. My field requires summer archival research in Europe, so I have to leave my wife, cats, and home for 2-3 months every year and head to a place where I know nobody. I wish I could say it gets easier, but you really just learn to live with it.

At least since you're moving semi-permanently, you can start collecting new friends!

I moved abroad three years ago to do my master's. I didn't have any jitters approaching the move since it was something I wanted to do for a long time, but once at the airport, it really hit me.

Although expensive, I flied back for winter and spring breaks, which helps a lot. That way, you're only away from family a couple months at a time - which is a helpful mental way to break up the time away. Video chatting certainly helps too!

I think you'll find that once you make friends in the program and you're busy with schoolwork, that you'll rarely have time to feel lonely. Your program will go by quickly and you will enjoy it once you adjust. I had so much fun learning and being involved with my department. Focus on making the most of your experience. You'll remember it fondly once it's part of the past. :) 

It is perfectly normal to feel that way. I left home for 9 years to do my undergrad and postgrad. I am still away from home as I have found a job in my university. Even up to now, I still feel homesick and nervous from time to time. As others said, go and make new friends in your new city. You can always catch up with family and friends back home via Skype. 

I guess it is pretty normal to feel homesick when going overseas. You will be sad during the first week, but then you will get used to it as time goes by. Try to meet new friends, and explore the beauty of the said country when you have time. Also, there's the internet to ensure that you will be connected to your love ones. 

• 5 weeks later...

It's still a loss process, regardless of how you feel about your home town or country. Well, perhaps it's worse for those who love where they live already - but even for those ready to go, you still have culture shock and climate adjustment and new bureaucracy, etc. It's a big change. If you are a younger student, it might be the biggest change of your entire life so far.