PhD Application Advice

Hi everyone!

I am reapplying to grad school after failing miserably this year and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I applied to only three programs (2 MAs and one PhD) because I honestly did not know what I wanted to do. I got into American University's Public Anthropology MA program with some money (I was still unable to afford it) and Syracuse's Anthropology PhD without funding. I want to be accepted into a program that I can actually afford and was actually considering getting an MA before a PhD but I just can't afford one and it's hard to get funding as an international student.

I recently graduated from Columbia University with a BA in Anthropology and a 3.6 GPA in both my major and overall. My GRE scores are 160Q/165V/4.0 AW. I am interested in Cultural Anthropology and am looking for more of an Applied Anthropology focus. My area of interest is Latin America, specifically Central America, and I have done work in education, but I am also interested in social justice and issues of identity, politics, human rights... I have had a couple of summer internships where I've done research related to education but I haven't really published anything.

I am considering applying to UC Boulder, Vanderbilt, CUNY, Syracuse, McGill, UT Austin, NYU  and Teacher's College-Columbia University (all of them Anthropology PhDs except for Columbia which would be a PhD in Applied Anthropology)

What are my chances? Is this a good list of schools? Are there any other schools that have a focus on Latin America? Should I even be applying to PhD programs?  Please share your thoughts, I could really use some feedback.

Thank you!

Hi @perpetualalligator,

I've had friends who have had similar interests to yours and who have applied to anthropology PHD programs

Some of the schools they applied to were:
-University of Florida
--Vanderbilt University (Which claims on its page to have the largest teams of Latin American anthropologists)
-Indiana University
-University of Wisconsin
-Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)
-University of Chicago
-Duke University

13 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

Hi everyone!

I am reapplying to grad school after failing miserably this year and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. I applied to only three programs (2 MAs and one PhD) because I honestly did not know what I wanted to do. I got into American University's Public Anthropology MA program with some money (I was still unable to afford it) and Syracuse's Anthropology PhD without funding. I want to be accepted into a program that I can actually afford and was actually considering getting an MA before a PhD but I just can't afford one and it's hard to get funding as an international student.

I recently graduated from Columbia University with a BA in Anthropology and a 3.6 GPA in both my major and overall. My GRE scores are 160Q/165V/4.0 AW. I am interested in Cultural Anthropology and am looking for more of an Applied Anthropology focus. My area of interest is Latin America, specifically Central America, and I have done work in education, but I am also interested in social justice and issues of identity, politics, human rights... I have had a couple of summer internships where I've done research related to education but I haven't really published anything.

I am considering applying to UC Boulder, Vanderbilt, CUNY, Syracuse, McGill, UT Austin, NYU  and Teacher's College-Columbia University (all of them Anthropology PhDs except for Columbia which would be a PhD in Applied Anthropology)

What are my chances? Is this a good list of schools? Are there any other schools that have a focus on Latin America? Should I even be applying to PhD programs?  Please share your thoughts, I could really use some feedback.

Thank you!

Sent you a PM.

• 5 weeks later...

Penn's education department has a really strong applied anthropology slant to it, I would suggest you check that out. Talk to Kathy Hall, a fantastic anthropologist and chair of their department could probably direct you to other potential advisers/programs.