Resignation/2 Week Notice Letter

samman1994

Hello everyone,

So I'm in the process of writing my 2 Week Notice/Resignation letter, and I'm having a bit of difficulty. I've tried looking online for some simple formats, but they all seem too detailed and too long. I've talked to my co-workers, and I've gotten really mixed results. Some of them have told me to simply say thank you and goodbye (basically in one or 2 sentences), others have informed me to maybe write a bit more detailed thank you discussing the experiences I've had and the skills I've learned thanks to the job (like a paragraph or 2). So I'm having difficulty finding a in between since I have gotten such polarizing responses.

I should also add, I've only had this job for 9 months, so haven't been here too long to write anything too in-depth. I had also told my boss and the company around 2 months ago when I would be leaving, so this letter is literally only a formality. 

Finally, I don't quite know how to give it to my boss. Do I email it to him or should I hand it in? Again co-workers give different answers. Some say it's better to just hand in the letter, others say it's better to email it (especially for record keeping for myself). 

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks ahead of time!

Keep it short and simple. Any thank yous can be done in person or in a thank you card. The resignation letter is effectively a legal document. 

Hand it to your boss in person - email would be inappropriate in my opinion. Arrange to meet privately (book in a time), resign, and give him the hard-copy letter. Follow up with the resignation letter attached to an email, and cc HR if your company has a HR. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 2:59 PM, lemma said:

Keep it short and simple. Any thank yous can be done in person or in a thank you card. The resignation letter is effectively a legal document. 

Hand it to your boss in person - email would be inappropriate in my opinion. Arrange to meet privately (book in a time), resign, and give him the hard-copy letter. Follow up with the resignation letter attached to an email, and cc HR if your company has a HR. 

Before meeting your boss and handing over the letter of resignation, make sure that your personal effects are boxed up and ready to go as your boss may decide to show you the door then and there. If this event happens, understand that it's (probably) nothing personal.