Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

According to the results page, previous years had gotten their results from Chicago by now. But I didn't hear anything. So unless they're running late, I guess I'm not accepted, haha (tho that email did say mid-Feb).

To be honest tho, I really liked the faculty members I met during my Eastman interview. So Eastman would have to be my top choice now. It's hard to find people you connect with like that, not just as scholars but as people too.

My semester's off to a slow start because I'm done with all classes. Only have to work on my thesis. There are pros and cons having to rely on self-discipline alone, but I suppose it's good preparation before a PhD... Fourteen hour flights?!? Yikes, time to watch a lot of movies (or sleep if you can)!

Guest barkin62

Isn't all of this waiting stage just reading tea leaves?

Personally I'm getting antsier than I should about Yale Theory, even though old results don't show anything until a week or two from now.

3 hours ago, spianist said:

According to the results page, previous years had gotten their results from Chicago by now. But I didn't hear anything. So unless they're running late, I guess I'm not accepted, haha (tho that email did say mid-Feb).

To be honest tho, I really liked the faculty members I met during my Eastman interview. So Eastman would have to be my top choice now. It's hard to find people you connect with like that, not just as scholars but as people too.

My semester's off to a slow start because I'm done with all classes. Only have to work on my thesis. There are pros and cons having to rely on self-discipline alone, but I suppose it's good preparation before a PhD... Fourteen hour flights?!? Yikes, time to watch a lot of movies (or sleep if you can)!

Good to hear! Was your Eastman interview very short too? They asked me maybe a couple questions and I asked them a couple, wasn't quite 20 minutes. It's nice to be able to meet your potential profs and see some faces even if its just via Skype.

28 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Good to hear! Was your Eastman interview very short too? They asked me maybe a couple questions and I asked them a couple, wasn't quite 20 minutes. It's nice to be able to meet your potential profs and see some faces even if its just via Skype.

I only got asked like 5 questions, the last of which was asked after all of mine. So yes, it was very short, lol. Glad I'm not the only one! I had anxiously prepared to defend my research, but thank God I didn't have to do that. 

I feel like it would be hard to get a feel for what a program would be like without meeting the professors. Certainly, research fit is important, but so are people! Especially if it involves leaving the people at home behind.

1 hour ago, spianist said:

I only got asked like 5 questions, the last of which was asked after all of mine. So yes, it was very short, lol. Glad I'm not the only one! I had anxiously prepared to defend my research, but thank God I didn't have to do that. 

I feel like it would be hard to get a feel for what a program would be like without meeting the professors. Certainly, research fit is important, but so are people! Especially if it involves leaving the people at home behind.

Yeah I agree. When you click with someone it can make for a much more productive relationship than someone whose research fits well but may not 'get' you or vice versa.

Admittedly I am a little hard of hearing and had to do the interview on a lousy internet connection so my short time wasn't as productive as it could have been. But no point sobbing over split soymilk.

Edited by klavierstucke

4 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

ESM musicology interviews are only 20 minutes?! Mine for theory was like 90...

Yeah I heard about that. I wonder why the difference in time allotted to musicology students...

2 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

But no point sobbing over split soymilk.

Sounds lactose intolerant? ?  haha jk. It's alright. I can relate. It's hard for anyone to get a good impression of us and vice versa, in such a short time. 

Edited by spianist

Guest barkin62
20 minutes ago, spianist said:

Yeah I heard about that. I wonder why the difference in time allotted to musicology students...

Because you don't actually need to show you can do any specific skills?

Sorry, music theorists find musicology as a field to be an easy punching bag: BuT wHaT aBoUt ThAt PaPeR hAs AnYtHiNg To Do WiTh MuSiC?

11 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Sorry, music theorists find musicology as a field to be an easy punching bag: BuT wHaT aBoUt ThAt PaPeR hAs AnYtHiNg To Do WiTh MuSiC?

Us composers don't think you theorists are doing anything related to music either

(I kid)

42 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

That sounds like a definition of musicology that leaves out music theory, as opposed to an encompassing one that integrates both...

Guest barkin62
1 hour ago, Parsifal said:

Us composers don't think you theorists are doing anything related to music either

(I kid)

I'm currently in a composition program, I almost don't think composers are doing anything related to music!

Guest barkin62
28 minutes ago, spianist said:

That sounds like a definition of musicology that leaves out music theory, as opposed to an encompassing one that integrates both...

To be fair musicology departments at places that also have music theory programs are literally defining themselves as distinct departments.

Hmm I like to think of music as a diamond - a hidden gem, if you will, since it is not treasured by all. But those who do see it all have a different way of looking at things, each through their own dimension based on idiosyncratic interests and skills. So there's no doubt as to their distinction. But ultimately, they're just different sides to the same object of music. In a sense, none of the various subfields are studying anything related to music because all views are partial. We're all limited. But to leave out any side would be detrimental to music as a whole. Not only are they separate but equal; they are in fact one.

(Sorry for the long metaphorical post... Didn't mean to get carried away... You know how musicologists can get ?)

What I meant by musicology encompassing music theory was not to undermine theory in any way. I was just trying to express, however poorly, that musicology approaches music from a multi-dimensional view. That it doesn't detract from music theory or composition, or any other fields for that matter, but rather adds more sides to them... If that makes sense...

(Sorry once again for this tangent. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people have a two dimensional view of musicology.)

3 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

To me, musicology and music theory are the exact same thing, and there is not a grain of difference.

It is a funny distinction — in the UK musicology is too inclusive to the point of telling you nothing of what someone does, but in the US it turns into theory versus musicology when it should be “theory and analysis” versus “music history” as subdisciplines. Ethnomusicology is an even more confusing category that can include anything and it gets rather crazy. 

Edit: Not saying we need more subdisciplines, just clearer names for them in English

Edited by Musica

29 minutes ago, Musica said:

when it should be “theory and analysis” versus “music history” as subdisciplines.

Right. I think too many people confuse musicology with music history.

Music history and theory are different subdisciplines... But music theory/analysis is inherently a part of musicology.

1 minute ago, musician94 said:

Does anyone know if UPenn interviews historical musicology applicants? 

From my vague recollection of browsing the results page a while back, I'm pretty sure they do (or at least have done so in the past). But I didn't hear anything from them either.