Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

4 minutes ago, musician94 said:

Does anyone know if UPenn interviews historical musicology applicants? 

Results page say they do interview for musicology, and in previous years those interviews have been sent out the same day as ethnomusicology interviews. It looks like we're probably rejected.

2 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Results page say they do interview for musicology, and in previous years those interviews have been sent out the same day as ethnomusicology interviews. It looks like we're probably rejected.

What do you mean by "results page?" Sorry if that sounds dumb haha do you mean the "applyweb" page where we submitted the application? 

Just now, klavierstucke said:

Oh that results page! I wouldn't give up just yet, as things vary from year to year. If we were not selected for interviews I wonder if they'll let us know now that we didn't make the cut. Would be silly to wait until they send out decisions....

5 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Great, so all of us are rejects ? lol

11 hours ago, musician94 said:

Does anyone know if UPenn interviews historical musicology applicants? 

Every year can be different, but the year I was admitted I was interviewed and those notifications went out the same day as for ethno. Penn does not force you to specialize immediately (even though you have to apply as a specialization), so I would be a little surprised if they did it separately. 

Guest barkin62
2 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

me too ?

2 hours ago, Musica said:

Yale interview invite earlier ?

Were your Yale letters clearly musicology-specific, or for the whole music department? I applied for theory and haven't heard anything.

40 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Were your Yale letters clearly musicology-specific, or for the whole music department? I applied for theory and haven't heard anything.

I am pretty sure the emails were for the whole dept., musicology was not mentioned in the email.

3 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

I am pretty sure the emails were for the whole dept., musicology was not mentioned in the email.

I am not so sure about this (unless you were a theory applicant to Yale), as in past years they have been separate processes, and the timeline a friend of mine received for theory had it slanted towards slightly later than now

Someone in the results section said they received an interview request from Harvard even though their website specifically says they do not interview....anyone care to explain? 

Edited by musician94

28 minutes ago, musician94 said:

Someone in the results section said they received an interview request from Harvard even thought their website specifically says they do not interview....anyone care to explain? 

This is not me, but I remember from previous threads Harvard occasionally interviews despite what they say. Most accepteds seem to get accepted without having to do one. But yeah it's odd nonetheless. My guess is it's less an interview and more a asking for details on ur app kind of thing. Wonder who it is tho.

Guest barkin62
11 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

well guess I'm doomed ?

7 hours ago, Musica said:

I am not so sure about this (unless you were a theory applicant to Yale), as in past years they have been separate processes, and the timeline a friend of mine received for theory had it slanted towards slightly later than now

How'd said friend receive a timeline? I haven't heard anything from the department.

@klavierstucke was your email from Rick Cohn as DGS, a musicologist, or someone else? I'm hardcore reading these tea leaves.

2 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

well guess I'm doomed ?

How'd said friend receive a timeline? I haven't heard anything from the department.

@klavierstucke was your email from Rick Cohn as DGS, a musicologist, or someone else? I'm hardcore reading these tea leaves.

The interview will be with the DGS and another music theory prof. 

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet though, interview dates on results page seem a little scattered across early Feb.

3 hours ago, musician94 said:

Someone in the results section said they received an interview request from Harvard even though their website specifically says they do not interview....anyone care to explain? 

They reached out to me for more information. I have a feeling the interviews are for clarifications, though, when they ask to actually talk to them. 

My friend talked to Prof Cohn in December, and the range he gave was later in February for theory. 

My email was from Prof Cohn connecting me with two other professors to set up an interview next week (in musicology). 

18 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

I thought you were applying for musicology?

I am applying for musicology, so I was surprised my interviewers are theory faculty.

This may be simply a matter of faculty availability. My research is also heavier on analysis than most musicologists and I discuss this in the SOP so that may have contributed to this decision.

Edited by klavierstucke

26 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

I am applying for musicology, so I was surprised my interviewers are theory faculty.

This may be simply a matter of faculty availability. My research is also heavier on analysis than most musicologists and I discuss this in the SOP so that may have contributed to this decision.

One of my interviewers is a theorist and the other a musicologist, so it just works out based on availability. 

To clarify last post: Harvard reached out to me for more info. 

15 minutes ago, nardis said:

I just received an admit notification from UChicago from Ethno. Wording makes it look like musicology decisions have been made as well

Congratulations! Was it from the DGS, your POI, or some other faculty member?