Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

7 minutes ago, spianist said:

Same. Happy for everyone else. This is exciting!! As for me, I may not get movement till March or so... So much waiting, can't focus on my thesis...

Yeah, I'm hoping for good news from Yale and princeton in next few weeks, they were (at least to me) the best fits!

1 hour ago, SoundArt? said:

Hey everyone!

I applied to Columbia's Sound Art Program and I'm curious if anyone else here also applied?

And if so, have you heard anything back?

Cheers!

I applied as well and haven't heard anything!

Has anyone applied to Brown MEME?  Curious if interviews have already taken place.  Feeling as though it's probably a no at this point.  I know ethno/musicology results are out.

2 hours ago, musician94 said:

Anyone hear from Harvard? I was sure they would make offers today. 

In a roundabout way, I heard that we should hear by/around Tuesday (I have a fellowship deadline that necessitates making a decision horribly early)

13 hours ago, mhm said:

Has anyone applied to Brown MEME?  Curious if interviews have already taken place.  Feeling as though it's probably a no at this point.  I know ethno/musicology results are out.

Hi there, I spoke to the chair of the music department yesterday and he said he was calling the accepted students for the whole department. 

Edited by musician94

16 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Rejected at Princeton, waitlisted at UPenn.

If you haven't already done this, I would call the chair at Penn to find out where you are on the waitlist. I did the same for Princeton and found out I was No. 1 on the list. If that's the case for you at Penn, the chances of an offer are EXTREMELY likely. Also, if you express an interest very early and check in regularly, it could make a considerable difference. Some might even say to let them know you'd commit if you were given a spot, but I'd only do that if Penn is definitely where you want to go. 

Edited by musician94

48 minutes ago, musician94 said:

Hi there, I spoke to the chair of the music department yesterday and he said he was calling the accepted students for the whole department. He also said they only accepted 2 ethno/musicology and 2 MEME, which is sort of mind-blowing....

Oh interesting, so does that mean that they won't be doing interviews this year?  And/or that the calls have already gone out?

Wow that makes for a tiny cohort!  

Edited by mhm

1 minute ago, mhm said:

Oh interesting, so does that mean that they won't be doing interviews this year?  And/or that the calls have already gone out?

Wow that makes for a teeny tiny cohort!  

My impression from the phone call was that decisions have already been made. They didn't interview me for the ethno/musicology program but I don't know much about the MEME process. 

Yes the department is tiny! They apparently like to keep it small to ensure maximum individual attention.

3 minutes ago, musician94 said:

My impression from the phone call was that decisions have already been made. They didn't interview me for the ethno/musicology program but I don't know much about the MEME process. 

Yes the department is tiny! They apparently like to keep it small to ensure maximum individual attention.

Good to know, thanks for your response.  And congrats on your acceptance!  

2 hours ago, musician94 said:

If you haven't already done this, I would call the chair at Penn to find out where you are on the waitlist. I did the same for Princeton and found out I was No. 1 on the list. If that's the case for you at Penn, the chances of an offer are EXTREMELY likely. Also, if you express an interest very early and check in regularly, it could make a considerable difference. Some might even say to let them know you'd commit if you were given a spot, but I'd only do that if Penn is definitely where you want to go. 

Thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call on Monday. I hope things go well for you at Princeton, its an incredible department.

2 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

The results page is positively drowning in Princeton results, much moreso than it did for any other school. Why?

I assume it's because Princeton sent all their decisions at the same time as opposed to sending acceptances first and then rejections/waitlist 1-2 weeks later. 

19 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

The results page is positively drowning in Princeton results, much moreso than it did for any other school. Why?

I wonder this as well.  It is a bit odd.  I know that there are other schools which get at least as many composition applications (Yale for instance gets more than double, and they also post all results on one day).   I can't think of any reason why someone who would want to go to Princeton for composition would be particularly likely to post on this site.  

It'll remain a mystery.  In any case I was rejected.  

Edited by Parsifal