Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

21 hours ago, bhai_jaan said:

Thank you! Yes, it's the MA/PhD in Ethnomusicology. I'm planning to work with Anna Morcom! 

That's great. Morcom was my POI as well. UCLA is a great school.

Edited by Soufie_S

52 minutes ago, spianist said:

Just got notified that I'm ranked #1 on the waitlist at USC Thornton... Since I'm ranked first, I guess there's a good chance! ? But seriously, what's up with me and waitlists?? Lol ?? 

cOnGrAtUlAtIoNs! Yeah sounds like a good chance. We are total waitlist gurus. What's an acceptance??‍♂️

Edited by klavierstucke

14 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

What's an acceptance??‍♂️

Even our acceptances are worded as "#1 on waitlist with very good chance of funding available" ??

Northwestern sent me an email they'd be interested in speaking with me about my application sometime this week! Interesting since their interview week is over ??

Even my interviews come after formal interviews are all done... I can't even... ??

I just saw that funding for USC's Musicology program is WAY better than for composition.  

I may be a composer, but something is wrong with this picture right? 

Maybe it's just a function of the number of students in each program (not that that can't be changed)?  

14 minutes ago, Parsifal said:

I just saw that funding for USC's Musicology program is WAY better than for composition.  

Maybe it's just a function of the number of students in each program (not that that can't be changed)?  

I knew of USC's generosity in funding for musicology but wasn't aware of the differences between the various subdisciplines. Is that a general trend in music or just USC? Either way, I'm sorry to hear that. I think composition is a respectable field. ?

I'm not sure how it works, really. If the number of students they want to accept determines funding, or if the limited amount of funding determines the number of students they can admit. 

Guest barkin62
2 hours ago, Parsifal said:

This is fairly normal for places with variable-ish funding. Eastman's lowest theory stipend is twice as much as their lowest composition stipend.

On 3/8/2019 at 7:16 PM, nichemusicnerd said:

Hi again! Any news from UCLA musicology?

They hosted the students invited for interview a couple of weeks ago and I know at least one offer was given.