Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

Guest barkin62
1 hour ago, klavierstucke said:

Update: I emailed Yale to ask about app status.  They made decisions yesterday and will be sending out later this week. I am waitlisted!

Thanks---I'd emailed last week and had heard that they "could give a clearer idea at the beginning of next week" (ie now this week). Wasn't sure whether to bother Prof. Cohn again or not (though I'm still not sure; I guess I could just wait...)

4 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Thanks---I'd emailed last week and had heard that they "could give a clearer idea at the beginning of next week" (ie now this week). Wasn't sure whether to bother Prof. Cohn again or not (though I'm still not sure; I guess I could just wait...)

Best of luck! Hope an acceptance is in store for you.

I'll keep my hopes up but its beyond me why someone would turn down Yale.

Guest barkin62

Tbf if I was accepted they probably would've emailed me already, so probably futile. Though it would be nice to know.

I could easily imagine people turning down Yale for Chicago or Harvard, from what I know of musicology. For theory it's apparently common for people to use Yale as a bargaining chip to get more money from Eastman.

3 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Tbf if I was accepted they probably would've emailed me already, so probably futile. Though it would be nice to know.

I could easily imagine people turning down Yale for Chicago or Harvard, from what I know of musicology. For theory it's apparently common for people to use Yale as a bargaining chip to get more money from Eastman.

Haha oh wow, I hope you're right! 

Where do you have left to hear from?

Guest barkin62
12 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Haha oh wow, I hope you're right! 

Where do you have left to hear from?

I'm waiting just for Yale and UCSB. I've been doing pretty well, got into 3 places, waitlisted at 2. I've been quiet about that here; it just seems kinda rude/jealousy-inducing to talk about acceptances to people with so much existential angst.

Edited by barkin62

28 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

I'm waiting just for Yale and UCSB. I've been doing pretty well, got into 3 places, waitlisted at 2. I've been quiet about that here; it just seems kinda rude/jealousy-inducing to talk about acceptances to people with so much existential angst.

Wow sounds great! 

It's my hope everyone on here gets accepted somewhere. I've got a plan if nothing works this yr so nbd.

1 minute ago, klavierstucke said:

It's my hope everyone on here gets accepted somewhere. I've got a plan if nothing works this yr so nbd.

Same. I hope it works out for all of us. What is your plan? I'm wondering if I should become a starving novelist and write novels haahah

34 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Wow congrats!! Looks like you've got a lot of options? I LOLed at "existential angst" bc I'm the president of the Waitlisted Club, lol.

2 minutes ago, spianist said:

Same. I hope it works out for all of us. What is your plan? I'm wondering if I should become a starving novelist and write novels haahah

Wow congrats!! Looks like you've got a lot of options? I LOLed at "existential angst" bc I'm the president of the Waitlisted Club, lol.

If Waitlisted Club needs a treasurer i am game. I hope we can disband Waitlisted Club pretty soon.

My school's music dept. (i go to a liberal arts college) offers a 9th semester fellowship following graduation to do a research project with the profs. For spring and summer I'll probably get a part time job back at home, unless I can find some music related paid internship somewhere.

Guest barkin62

That sounds pretty solid. My only plan for if I got rejected everywhere was pretty much "reevaluate my life and get a miserable quasi-busywork tech job," which I'm very glad to not have had to do. (I've watched what it does to my friends.)

I've seen people be very successful with grad apps after taking some time off.

CUNY musicology is emailing results today. I got news I am "high on the our waiting list for funding", and that I am very likely to get off the list. Seems like an oddly worded acceptance? Nonetheless some cool news.

What is it with me and waitlists? Lol

CUNY musicology is emailing results today. I got news I am "high on the our waiting list for funding", and that I am very likely to get off the list. Seems like an oddly worded acceptance? Nonetheless some cool news.

What is it with me and waitlists? Lol

Ooo u have a very good chance then! 

Guest barkin62

Damn?

Was Yale high on your list? Also Im very curious what your options are at this point!

I'll PM you; I'd rather not be too identifiable to adcoms and my irl acquaintances.

2 hours ago, yung_microtone said:

Hey everyone - Canadian MM composition applicant here.  Applied to McGill, UCalgary, and UOttawa.  Anybody else apply for these programs?

I applied to McGill. Have you heard anything?

Guest barkin62
10 hours ago, futuredrb said:

I applied to McGill. Have you heard anything?

2 years ago I heard from McGill composition on 3/1. This year I heard from McGill theory 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Soufie_S said:

Cambridge finally made a conditional offer today...official letter to follow...

This is moving with a glacial pace

Oh God Cambridge, y u do dis?

:'-O

Congrats! I hope the conditions are good?

Yeah, annoying some schools that are dragging their feet