Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

1 hour ago, klavierstucke said:

Yeah, annoying some schools that are dragging their feet

Really though....I know I’ve been rejected from Columbia and Harvard, but it would be really nice to get the official letters and move on. The fact that it’s been nearly two weeks since Columbia made their offers and rejected applicants still haven’t heard anything is a little irritating. 

Edited by musician94

1 hour ago, musician94 said:

Really though....I know I’ve been rejected from Columbia and Harvard, but it would be really nice to get the official letters and move on. The fact that it’s been nearly two weeks since Columbia made their offers and rejected applicants still haven’t heard anything is a little irritating. 

Yeah I applied and was rejected to both as well. What's the point in waiting? Isn't it like a click of the button-type thing and all rejections are sent out?  Im sure theyve sent out all their waitlists too so no point keeping us around?

27 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Yeah I applied and was rejected to both as well. What's the point in waiting? Isn't it like a click of the button-type thing and all rejections are sent out?  Im sure theyve sent out all their waitlists too so no point keeping us around?

I didn't apply to Harvard but feel the same about Columbia. We're not even worth a click I guess ahaha. ??

Not too disappointed tho. I wrote mostly about a music theorist at Columbia in my personal statement when I applied as a musicology major. But  I didn't want to change majors, so I want sure how that was going to work/fit. It seems most schools have a more rigorous interview selection process for theory majors relative to musicology. But if they don't take the time to test whether I have the same skills, why would they choose me over a theory major (since I'm quasi-theory but mostly musicology-oriented)? Haha, if that makes sense. Sorry for my rant. It was just really hard for me to find programs to apply to that for my interests. And I'm still not sure if I applied to the right ones.? But dont want to go for round 2. Oh the dilemma lol.

Edited by spianist

1 hour ago, spianist said:

I didn't apply to Harvard but feel the same about Columbia. We're not even worth a click I guess ahaha. ??

Not too disappointed tho. I wrote mostly about a music theorist at Columbia in my personal statement when I applied as a musicology major. But  I didn't want to change majors, so I want sure how that was going to work/fit. It seems most schools have a more rigorous interview selection process for theory majors relative to musicology. But if they don't take the time to test whether I have the same skills, why would they choose me over a theory major (since I'm quasi-theory but mostly musicology-oriented)? Haha, if that makes sense. Sorry for my rant. It was just really hard for me to find programs to apply to that for my interests. And I'm still not sure if I applied to the right ones.? But dont want to go for round 2. Oh the dilemma lol.

Hey, I'm a similar case to you, occupying some liminal space between "Music Theory"  and "Musicology". I have also been curious how/whether this affected my apps. One of my writing samples is pure analysis, the other more cultural history. For what its worth I wrote about 3 people in my POS to CUNY musicology, 2 of which were theorists, and I very high on waitlist there. I also brought up a theorist in the yale one and many others. At Columbia, isn't Hisama cross listed as theory & musicology faculty? Our rejections are prob not due to unclear disciplinary identities. But it may be how to frame it. Interidisciplinary / crossing boarders etc. sound like buzzwords after a while so theres a convincing way to frame my research topic in it. That, or they just didnt find my topic interesting.

I've been told it varies by school re. how "accepting" professors and departments are of disciplinary border crossing. I'm not sure how to glean this exactly. I imagine we would have the easiest time at schools that throw applications from all disciplines into one big pile and admit from them (Yale and Chicago are some I know). 

At several schools I would have preferred to apply to theory but my showing on the musicianship tests would pale compared to, like, music theory majors at conservatories. Or anyone who regularly practices aural skills.

My advisor told me musicologists with strong theory backgrounds are few and far between these days. So it will probably help!

Edited by klavierstucke

4 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Hey, I'm a similar case to you, occupying some liminal space between "Music Theory"  and "Musicology". I have also been curious how/whether this affected my apps. One of my writing samples is pure analysis, the other more cultural history. For what its worth I wrote about 3 people in my POS to CUNY musicology, 2 of which were theorists, and I very high on waitlist there. I also brought up a theorist in the yale one and many others. At Columbia, isn't Hisama cross listed as theory & musicology faculty? Our rejections are prob not due to unclear disciplinary identities. But it may be how to frame it. Interidisciplinary / crossing boarders etc. sound like buzzwords after a while so theres a convincing way to frame my research topic in it. That, or they just didnt find my topic interesting.

I've been told it varies by school re. how "accepting" professors and departments are of disciplinary border crossing. I'm not sure how to glean this exactly. I imagine we would have the easiest time at schools that throw applications from all disciplines into one big pile and admit from them (Yale and Chicago are some I know). 

At several schools I would have preferred to apply to theory but my showing on the musicianship tests would pale compared to, like, music theory majors at conservatories. Or anyone who regularly practices aural skills.

My advisor told me musicologists with strong theory backgrounds are few and far between these days. So it will probably 

I thought of applying to Yale (bc of Brian Kane), but decided not to last minute and apply to Columbia to work with Ben Steege (and Lydia Goeher, who is in the philosophy dept at Columbia and does a lot with the philosophy of music. Was it wise to talk about the music theory and philosophy dept faculty as POI as a musicology applicant? Who knows?‍♀️ Having bit of an identity crisis as I realize that the people I'm most interested in are not musicologists. 

But yeah, you're right. It is probably just the way I framed my research (or my topic wasn't interesting enough to them). It probably doesn't have to do with the nature of my work. I think honestly there should be just 2 degrees -- DMA and PhD in music -- and those doing the PhD track should be able to work in any and all disciplines they're interested in. That would give us so much "research freedom"! ?

13 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Congrats! I hope the conditions are good?

Yeah, annoying some schools that are dragging their feet

Hey thank you so much! Well, they have only updated my status on the application portal...offer letter will only be uploaded in the next 48 hours...

So, fingers crossed on that one...and more so because I am an Indian applicant...

Are you waiting to hear from places too?

6 hours ago, Soufie_S said:

Hey thank you so much! Well, they have only updated my status on the application portal...offer letter will only be uploaded in the next 48 hours...

So, fingers crossed on that one...and more so because I am an Indian applicant...

Are you waiting to hear from places too?

I've heard back from most places.  I am waitlisted at 3. Rejected officially and unofficially at most others. One to hear back from. I hope Cambridge works out for you!  Anywhere left to hear from for you ?

Edited by klavierstucke

11 hours ago, spianist said:

I thought of applying to Yale (bc of Brian Kane), but decided not to last minute and apply to Columbia to work with Ben Steege (and Lydia Goeher, who is in the philosophy dept at Columbia and does a lot with the philosophy of music. Was it wise to talk about the music theory and philosophy dept faculty as POI as a musicology applicant? Who knows?‍♀️ Having bit of an identity crisis as I realize that the people I'm most interested in are not musicologists. 

But yeah, you're right. It is probably just the way I framed my research (or my topic wasn't interesting enough to them). It probably doesn't have to do with the nature of my work. I think honestly there should be just 2 degrees -- DMA and PhD in music -- and those doing the PhD track should be able to work in any and all disciplines they're interested in. That would give us so much "research freedom"! ?

Yeah a Music PhD would be cool... Also on that note I think U  Penn does the same thing as Yale and Chicago. It seemed to be Columbia handles theory / musicology apps separately. Brian Kane is a cool scholar. And I know he has been the primary advisor on several musicology dissertations.

Though I do think there is virtue in having a lot of depth in the methodologies of one subfield. Sometimes I feel when I spread myself too thin, the whole ends up being less than the sum of its parts. But as I'm sure you know, philosophy definitely corresponds with music(ology, theory) in many ways.

In any case you don't get an interview (and waitlisted to boot) at NYU if you dont have an interesting project, especially with their level of competitiveness this round.

What's surprised me this round is that whiile my research is on Russian music, all the places with Russian music scholars have rejected me...only ones without them are interested. Lol

Edited by klavierstucke

46 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

What's surprised me this round is that whiile my research is on Russian music, all the places with Russian music scholars have rejected me...only ones without them are interested. Lol

Omg I know!! So far all the places I am (or probably will be?) waitlisted at, i.e. NYU. Northwestern. UCSD, there aren't scholars in my field. Only people without my interests are interested in my research lol.

53 minutes ago, Jep said:

Hey everyone! Is there any ethnomusicology applicant who has received an answer from UCLA, Harvard or Columbia?  

I was accepted to UCLA over Skype a little more than a week ago (I went into the call thinking it was an interview, so it was quite a happy surprise), and have been unofficially rejected from the other two

6 minutes ago, musician94 said:

Hi there, 

I believe those three schools have already made offers. 

thanks for the reply. I have read in this thread about the musicology acceptances but hoping that ethnomusicology decisions might differ. 

1 hour ago, bhai_jaan said:

I was accepted to UCLA over Skype a little more than a week ago (I went into the call thinking it was an interview, so it was quite a happy surprise), and have been unofficially rejected from the other two

Congrats! thanks for letting me know.

6 hours ago, Elliona said:

Hi all, I’m new here! I’m applying for MM/MA in composition. Just finished my last interview last week. I got my first offer yesterday and still waiting for 4 other schools.

And now I’m super anxious... 

Congratulations!! Where did you get accepted?

6 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Just got the official rejection from the University of Harvard ?‍♂️

Me too ? and this is shocking!!!

I wonder what it even means when POIs are greatly interested in your project, and when they convey that one is a perfect fit for the program. I recall words like "awesome" and "amazing" ?

The only silver lining is that I got into Cambridge, which has been my top choice throughout...

Edited by Soufie_S

9 hours ago, bhai_jaan said:

Congratulations! Is this for the Ethnomusicology program? May I also who was your POI?

10 hours ago, yung_microtone said:

Where did you apply?

UCLA, UT Austin, UMich, IU Jacobs, and Peabody. So far I’ve only heard from UT Austin. 

5 hours ago, futuredrb said:

Congratulations!! Where did you get accepted?

Thanks!! I got accepted to UT Austin by email yesterday. They’re the first school to notify me of any results despite I’ve just done my interview there 2 weeks ago.