Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

5 hours ago, Soufie_S said:

Did anyone get in at Harvard?

I believe Harvard will making their offers today. As of Friday, they had not and yesterday was President's day so it'll probably be today at the earliest, and definitely by the end of this week. 

14 minutes ago, musician94 said:

I believe Harvard will making their offers today. As of Friday, they had not and yesterday was President's day so it'll probably be today at the earliest, and definitely by the end of this week. 

Thanks! Would you know if they interviewed shortlisted candidates? 

14 minutes ago, Soufie_S said:

Thanks! Would you know if they interviewed shortlisted candidates? 

I emailed Harvard a couple of weeks ago to inquire as to whether they conduct interviews and they very explicitly stated that musicologists are not interviewed. I think the only discipline that does is theory and maybe comp. 

25 minutes ago, musician94 said:

I emailed Harvard a couple of weeks ago to inquire as to whether they conduct interviews and they very explicitly stated that musicologists are not interviewed. I think the only discipline that does is theory and maybe comp. 

Ah well. Thanks for this and good luck! ?

Guest barkin62

Ugh I'm kinda freaking out about the likely incoming Yale decisions, and we don't even know when exactly they'll be. Precedent suggests any day now (though precedent also suggests we're not accepted if we haven't heard yet).

8 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Ugh I'm kinda freaking out about the likely incoming Yale decisions, and we don't even know when exactly they'll be. Precedent suggests any day now (though precedent also suggests we're not accepted if we haven't heard yet).

Yeah I’m thinking the same about Harvard. In the past 3-5 years, acceptances were sent on the second Friday in February, which would’ve been last Friday. I’m hoping someone here is admitted and posts their result so we can all exhale. 

I got a Restricted Call this morning while in class.  They didn't leave a voice mail.  Was really hopeful it was Harvard or Yale informing me of acceptance but i got no follow up voicemail/e-mail ??

I probably will only opt to go to grad school if I get into Harvard Yale or UPenn.  My other remaining possibilities don't seem to place that well into tt positions. It's beyond me why people probably much smarter than me give a hoot about prestige. I search 30 music depts across the country, HYP, UCB grads across the board (musicoology)

Edited by klavierstucke

13 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Congrats to harvard acceptance! Did you get the news via a restricted phone call by chance?

Thank you! I'm very excited about it. It's actually my first real acceptance after a few rejections. It wasn't restricted for me, just a (510) area code phone number who left me a message.

9 minutes ago, Musiking said:

Thank you! I'm very excited about it. It's actually my first real acceptance after a few rejections. It wasn't restricted for me, just a (510) area code phone number who left me a message.

OMG congrats! I can't believe you got rejected at UCSD but accepted at Harvard?! Forget UCSD then, lol!

I wish I had applied for more Ivies instead of doubting my chances and not applying. Oh wells, too late now.

BTW, 510 is a San Francisco Bay Area code, namely from the Fremont/Hayward/Oakland/Alameda areas, lol.

Edited by spianist

3 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

I got a Restricted Call this morning while in class.  They didn't leave a voice mail.  Was really hopeful it was Harvard or Yale informing me of acceptance but i got no follow up voicemail/e-mail ??

I probably will only opt to go to grad school if I get into Harvard Yale or UPenn.  My other remaining possibilities don't seem to place that well into tt positions. It's beyond me why people probably much smarter than me give a hoot about prestige. I search 30 music depts across the country, HYP, UCB grads across the board (musicoology)

Yep, and also Stanford. I've noticed that a LOT of the faculty at Eastman are from Stanford. Like I've counted 6-7 people from Stanford all teaching at Eastman.

28 minutes ago, Musiking said:

Did you get your phone call from DGS or a person of interest? Congrats again!

8 minutes ago, spianist said:

Yep, and also Stanford. I've noticed that a LOT of the faculty at Eastman are from Stanford. Like I've counted 6-7 people from Stanford all teaching at Eastman.

Yeah Stanford seems to represented at some places. I've only ever seen CUNY Musicology PhD holders teaching at CUNY (theory is a different question though)

I was accepted at Harvard with a phone call that I missed, and then a follow-up email from the historical musicology advisor.  The number was not a Boston area code. It was Oakland.  

Edited by Musica

31 minutes ago, Musica said:

I was accepted at Harvard with a phone call that I missed, and then a follow-up email from the historical musicology advisor.  The number was not a Boston area code. It was Oakland.  

Congrats! You've been doing pretty well this round it looks like. thanks for the info too. That restricted call I got probably wasn't Harvard then. It was probably God calling me from Area code 333 to tell me his plan for me.

Unless divine intervention can thrust me through the gates of Yale I will probably be playing Waiting Game 2.0 with the penn waitlist. If anyone's accepted to the Musicology PhD at the University of Pennsylvania and is sure they won't be attending please let them know :P

Edited by klavierstucke

1 hour ago, barkin62 said:

Hey, you don't know you're not also on the waitlist at Harvard (or Yale)!

Haha true, though from results page it looks like they usually send those out same day as acceptances. I'm really hoping Yale releases acceptances tomorrow though. Assuming no one here's gotten in yet.

I wonder if it's better to settle the first round or to try again second round in hopes of better options. Not asking for me. I'm definitely settling lol (where my family will live in the future is partially dependent on me). But I did notice in the other threads that some people have tried multiple rounds, so that's always an option.

5 hours ago, Musica said:

woah!!!

Hmm just got an interesting email from Northwestern that they're still considering my application, and for me to let them know if I get other offers... I thought their interview (weekend) was over? I'm taking this as a waitlist?

Edited by spianist

38 minutes ago, spianist said:

I wonder if it's better to settle the first round or to try again second round in hopes of better options. Not asking for me. I'm definitely settling lol (where my family will live in the future is partially dependent on me). But I did notice in the other threads that some people have tried multiple rounds, so that's always an option.

Yeah, this is my plan if I don't get in anywhere I like.

5 minutes ago, spianist said:

Hmm just got an interesting email from Northwestern that they're still considering my application, and for me to let them know if I get other offers... I thought their interview (weekend) was over? I'm taking this as a waitlist?

Wow! That's peculiar but exciting nonetheless. That does sound like a waitlist.

6 hours ago, spianist said:

I received that, too! A dear friend is leaving today for their interview week(end) as a musicologist, so apparently there are different levels of consideration? Unsure of why. 

7 hours ago, spianist said:

I went to do a master’s degree abroad when I wasn’t sure the programs I was accepted to the first go-round were the right fit/whether a doctorate was right for me. This gave me time to figure all of that out, come up with better writing samples, and get some new recommendations. 

In 2017 Yale sent out interview requests on Jan 31, and held them first week of Feb (same schedule as this year). They didn't send rejections until Feb 28 that year (all fields).  I'm assuming acceptances came in a few days before that.  Just some hardcore tea leaf reading for any  hopefuls out there ?

?‍♂️

Update: I emailed Yale to ask about app status.  They made decisions yesterday and will be sending out later this week. I am waitlisted!

Edited by klavierstucke
added another emoji