Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

1 minute ago, nichemusicnerd said:

I am still waiting to hear back from 3 Canadian universities and UCLA and not knowing when to expect answers is killing me. I need to stop refreshing my email (and here!) before I lose my mind lol

Have you gotten interview at ucla

Just now, klavierstucke said:

Have you gotten interview at ucla

nope, no interview! though I did have a lengthly skype meeting with a faculty member during AMS so I'm wondering if that's part of why I haven't been asked to do one. That or they're not interested I guess haha

Guest barkin62
53 minutes ago, spianist said:

May I ask for which discipline? I applied for musicology (or what they call Integrative Studies), and got neither a rejection nor an acceptance so far.... 

UCSD is notorious for its internal waitlists---they have multiple rounds of acceptance/rejection and don't tell you your standing, and then some people get accepted on April 15th.

35 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

UCSD is notorious for its internal waitlists---they have multiple rounds of acceptance/rejection and don't tell you your standing, and then some people get accepted on April 15th.

Oh, I didn't know they were notorious for that. Until I hear back about an acceptance, just gonna assume I'm in that limbo stage. Great, I'm gonna have so much fun waiting till April... ?

Edited by spianist

Best Valentine's Day ever! Accepted to PhD Music-Ethnomusicology at Cambridge ?

Now awaiting a formal offer letter and information on funding and college.

p.s. fingers crossed for funding as I am an international (Indian) applicant.

Edited by Soufie_S

19 hours ago, musician94 said:

Hi all! 

Im back and just received an offer from Brown :) don’t recall seeing this on anyone’s list but just in case! 

Terrific! Many congratulations! Which program in Music did you apply to? 

6 minutes ago, musician94 said:

Congrats! From POI or the automated email?

I have been in touch with POI before this/had an informal talk last week, but this was the automated “Click link to view decision...” email

1 minute ago, nichemusicnerd said:

How did you hear from UCLA? :)

I had a phone call this morning. I believe the Ethno and Musicology processes are done separately, since they are technically different departments. 

17 minutes ago, nardis said:

In at UCLA and Brown! Waitlisted at Columbia. (all Ethnomusicology)

What an exciting morning...

Woah! Super! I have not heard anything from Columbia, so I am guessing it's a "no" for me.

Also, who is your POI a UCLA?

Guest barkin62

Also waitlisted at Columbia today. A bit surprising given that my interview consisted of a prof complimenting me and telling me "it would be perfectly rational" to think about planning a visit.

4 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Also waitlisted at Columbia today. A bit surprising given that my interview consisted of a prof complimenting me and telling me "it would be perfectly rational" to think about planning a visit.

Are all shortlisted candidates interviewed at Columbia? 

Guest barkin62
11 minutes ago, Soufie_S said:

Are all shortlisted candidates interviewed at Columbia? 

Unsure---I was interviewed by one theorist, and he implied there are separate subcommittees and they hadn't yet converged.

Based on past years, though, if you haven't heard anything today you're probably rejected.

2 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

Unsure---I was interviewed by one theorist, and he implied there are separate subcommittees and they hadn't yet converged.

Based on past years, though, if you haven't heard anything today you're probably rejected.

Ah well...you win some, you lose some...but thanks for the tip ?

39 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Congrats to all acceptances today!!.. Exciting to see some movement! nothing from Columbia for me so prob rejection  though...

Same. Happy for everyone else. This is exciting!! As for me, I may not get movement till March or so... So much waiting, can't focus on my thesis...