Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

1 hour ago, spianist said:

None for me. ? Congrats! Maybe they didn't like the people they interviewed the first round, and you were on some unofficial waitlist. Good luck!

Are you expecting to hear from anywhere else by the end of the week?

1 hour ago, klavierstucke said:

Are you expecting to hear from anywhere else by the end of the week?

It's so hard to predict. I'm thinking more like by the end of the month (unless I hear back from NYU interview earlier). Crossing all fingers, toes, eyes, and anything else I can right now, lol.

Now I wish I had cast a wider net and applied to more schools... Oh wells, too late now!

Edited by spianist

2 hours ago, spianist said:

It's so hard to predict. I'm thinking more like by the end of the month (unless I hear back from NYU interview earlier). Crossing all fingers, toes, eyes, and anything else I can right now, lol.

Now I wish I had cast a wider net and applied to more schools... Oh wells, too late now!

Yeah, many places haven't seemed to be that consistent over the years, makes the reading of tea leaves and coffee beans even harder. How many did you apply in total? I did quite a few but I think it was 3 too many. In my opinion, more is always in your favor if money/time isnt an issue (I got waivers almost everywhere). At least that's what my profs told me.

In my boredom I made a spreadsheet with date ranges I can expect to hear back. Next week and the following one will hopefully be the noisiest for me, with two straggling behind in March. I really want to convert some of these interviews into acceptances, like alchemy.

Also looks like Cornell acceptances are out. Congrats to the lucky phone call receiver who posted on resultsboard!

25 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Also looks like Cornell acceptances are out. Congrats to the lucky phone call receiver who posted on resultsboard!

Womp womp. Here's hoping they somehow only called one person but the rest are coming... later... at some point.... soon... ?

3 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Yeah, many places haven't seemed to be that consistent over the years, makes the reading of tea leaves and coffee beans even harder. How many did you apply in total? I did quite a few but I think it was 3 too many. In my opinion, more is always in your favor if money/time isnt an issue (I got waivers almost everywhere). At least that's what my profs told me.

In my boredom I made a spreadsheet with date ranges I can expect to hear back. Next week and the following one will hopefully be the noisiest for me, with two straggling behind in March. I really want to convert some of these interviews into acceptances, like alchemy.

I've applied to 9, some of which I've applied to just cause they were close to home and I didn't want to leave my community here. Looking back, I wonder if I should have just applied to schools that were more fitting instead + around 12 schools in total. Wish I could have both of research fit and location, but I guess some things require sacrifice, even people.

29 minutes ago, spianist said:

I've applied to 9, some of which I've applied to just cause they were close to home and I didn't want to leave my community here. Looking back, I wonder if I should have just applied to schools that were more fitting instead + around 12 schools in total. Wish I could have both of research fit and location, but I guess some things require sacrifice, even people.

I'm from the Midwest and all schools I applied to are East/West coast except UChicago and Indiana theory. Rejected from the latter and probably rejected from former, so I am excited that if I am accepted to a grad school it will be far from home, I've never actually visited either coast. Are you applying straight out of undergrad like me?

Guest barkin62
33 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

I'm from the Midwest and all schools I applied to are East/West coast except UChicago and Indiana theory. Rejected from the latter and probably rejected from former, so I am excited that if I am accepted to a grad school it will be far from home, I've never actually visited either coast. Are you applying straight out of undergrad like me?

I thought you applied to Eastman? ;)

(Sorry, arguing on the internet about whether or not Rochester is the East Coast is basically my #1 hobby.)

1 hour ago, barkin62 said:

I thought you applied to Eastman? ;)

(Sorry, arguing on the internet about whether or not Rochester is the East Coast is basically my #1 hobby.)

Lol, I'm probably wrong but for me anything East of Indiana is "EastCoast" and California/Oregon/WA/whatever is West Coast

Guest barkin62

Ah, you're from the west-of-the-Mississippi Midwest. I always forget about the "Ohio is East Coast" sorts; the furthest west I've lived is Chicago.

The issue is that Rochester is west of the Appalachian Mountains, and right on a Great Lake. It's right by Buffalo, which is basically Chicago but smaller and with more snow.

16 hours ago, Musica said:

I am actually a historical musicologist, but we have not heard anything yet either as a group other than the languages email, too. The email for more information for me just wanted clarifications on my area of interest. I expect that we should hear within the next two weeks, though, as historically that is (almost) always the case!

Thank you. 

13 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Nah, I actually graduated from college a few years ago without a major in music (only minored in it), which is why I went back to school for it. I'm currently in my last semester of my M.A. in music history. And now onward to a PhD if I get in!

Even just thinking about the midwest and the East Coast makes me shiver. I like looking at snow, but only pictures of it online. Californians are so spoiled in terms of weather and nature. Lol.  Makes it hard to leave, but I'm sure the midwest and the East Coast are nice in their own way.

Guest barkin62
1 hour ago, spianist said:

Californians are so spoiled in terms of weather and nature. Lol.

We don't have any droughts or fires here. Frankly the great lakes is gonna be the only inhabitable area of the US once global warming sets in.

Guest barkin62
1 hour ago, Soufie_S said:

Has anyone heard back from CUNY, Cambridge and/or Columbia Ethnomusicology?

Apologies for spamming, but I am currently staring into a deep, dark application abyss...

I just got an interview request from Columbia Theory. Not sure how much relevance that has to you, though.

Apologies for spamming, but I am currently staring into a deep, dark application abyss...

Cambridge interviews should be finished by now (my understanding was that I was one of the last). Admits should be out this month, I think, but funding might take until March at the earliest.

Columbia decisions ought to be out or at least finalized internally next week after the faculty meet. 

I have not heard anything re: CUNY but they seem to do all their decisions within the next ten days historically as well. 

And if thou gaze long into the application abyss, the application abyss will also gaze into thee - Nietzsche

I'm with ya.  Currently wrestling with the fact that all but one place I applied to don't even give half of a living wage (nevermind getting accepted).  

21 minutes ago, Musica said:

Cambridge interviews should be finished by now (my understanding was that I was one of the last). Admits should be out this month, I think, but funding might take until March at the earliest.

Columbia decisions ought to be out or at least finalized internally next week after the faculty meet. 

I have not heard anything re: CUNY but they seem to do all their decisions within the next ten days historically as well. 

I was interviewed by Cambridge on 22 January and by Chicago on 28. Haven't heard back anything yet, except that Chicago will release decisions by end of this week or early next week.
Fingers crossed for Columbia then...if there is still hope that is...

Have you applied to UCLA?

18 minutes ago, Parsifal said:

And if thou gaze long into the application abyss, the application abyss will also gaze into thee - Nietzsche

I'm with ya.  Currently wrestling with the fact that all but one place I applied to don't even give half of a living wage (nevermind getting accepted).  

?

I can actually feel the searing eyes of application abyss peering into my soul...

But we are all in this together. And I am sure good news will come knocking to our doors very, very soon~Rumi

I had a dream last night about grad schools...Dreamt I was accepted to Princeton and got a 30k stipend. I don't know why it was 30k. Also then I received a very personal email from an adcom at some other unspecified college "We found your application utterly vile and repulsive, and your research very boring, so we are rejecting you", like some cruel inversion of an acceptance email. I would like the first part to come true. Lol

I need to stop looking at screens

Edited by klavierstucke

Lol. Sounds like we're all a bit crazy ?Ready to embrace low income/stipend, cold weather, and whatnot, and give up what we have now... Just to study music for the next 5-6 years... I didn't hit the dreaming stage yet, tho I'm sure I will soon?

Guest barkin62
4 hours ago, Musica said:

CUNY theory interviews are next weekend (8-9 days away). Make of that what you will.

39 minutes ago, barkin62 said:

CUNY theory interviews are next weekend (8-9 days away). Make of that what you will.

Slow and steady wins the race ? (I always forget about the theorists...)