Hello all! I am getting ready to start getting stuff together for this upcoming app cycle and could use some advice. I am going to apply to programs in anthropology and public health this winter for fall 2019 matriculation (dual programs and schools that just offer both degrees separately). I was thinking of applying only to master’s programs because I don’t know if I’ll get in to any PhD programs right off the bat, but my undergrad research advisor thinks I should apply straight to PhD programs. I really do want to get my PhD and it would be nice not to have to spend more money than I need to, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to get in without publications and a specific research topic. I know what I want to study and do research on (medical anth, epidemiology, infectious diseases, epidemics and outbreaks, sexual health, disease mapping, water-borne diseases), but I don’t have a super specific question/dissertation topic decided yet.

Some background: I graduated May 2017 with BA Anthropology, biomedical science and public health-related minors, 3.5 GPA. 158V 157Q 4.0 GRE (I could definitely improve this if needed. I’d rather not have to spend the money but I can make it work). I am a current AmeriCorps VISTA and spent 6 months as a Peace Corps Volunteer as well (yay medical separation)—both positions in the public health field—and have tons of other public health education experience. I was a research assistant for my anth programs for 2.5-3 years on projects related to health demography/historical epi, maternal and child health, osteology and paleopathology; was a TA for 5ish classes; did clinical lab health research on parasites. I have 2 strong letters of rec lined up (anth professor/research advisor/mentor and a biomedical science professor/mentor) but am still deciding on who the third should be. No publications (yet—maybe this year) but a dozen posters and paper presentations under my belt.

For reference, these are the schools I’m potentially applying to: University of Washington, University of South Florida, University of Iowa, University of Hawai’i, University of Kentucky, Emory University, University of Florida, University of Connecticut [and possibly Mississippi State University, University of South Carolina, Oregon State University, especially if I only go for a masters]

My advisor thinks I’ll get in to PhD programs but, honestly, he’s been out of grad school for a while and may be a little biased when it comes to his students. I know that the schools and professors themselves would be the best gauge of whether I’ll get accepted or not but I just wanted to see what fellow [hopeful, future, current] grad students thought! Any tips, concerns, reality-checks are greatly welcome! Thank you!!!

You have a strong CV - VISTA and Peace Corps will look especially good to anthro programs.  You don't need publications or a Master's thesis to get into PhD programs, but you will need to be more specific about a potential research topic - geographic region, especially.  If you have the money for it, I would suggest applying to a mix of PhDs and MAs.  You'll probably get some PhD offers, but a Master's might be a good route as well in terms of honing your research topic.  This comes with a giant caveat - only do a Master's if you get funding!  I'm not sure which programs have funding available, but there's more info about that elsewhere in the forum if you care to find it.

If you're interested in MedAnth, you might also check out the PhD programs at WUSTL, UCSF, UCSD, and Brown.  Best of luck with your applications!

This was definitely me a year ago. My advisor also told me NOT to apply to Masters programs since rarely do they ever offer any form of financial support. While isn't required to have a masters if you're applying to a Ph.D. program, I have noticed that many admitted students tend to already have their masters once they applied for Ph.D. 

I was able to get into a Ph.D. program without a masters degree but we tend to be very rare in doctoral programs.  

Seek out those fee waivers to avoid application fees. Some programs require that you send them proof that you need a fee waiver. Once you're approved, the only expenses you should have are for sending off GRE results to schools or transcripts once you are recommended for admission. 

I say speak directly with your advisor about putting together a possible project for the statement of purpose. The interesting thing about writing a convincing SOP is that most programs don't tie you down to that project. It is more or less a way to show that you are able to think analytically and make sound observations and connections to concepts/theories. 

While you may not have any publications, your research experience is very helpful. It more or less pads your CV.

I would also recommend that you apply for Berkeley and the University of Michigan. While you're at it, contact some medical anthropologists, epidemiologists...whose research is somewhat related to yours. Believe it or not, they are more than willing to assist you with those types of concerns. 

Good luck!