What programs are worth applying to for a low quant/high everything else applicant?

JiHoo

Have 10 years work experience in public policy/loads of volunteer experience domestically + abroad in several countries/4.0 GPA/170 verbal + 5.5 Written

BUT

I only have a 156 quant GRE. Studied plenty and can't get it higher. Did perfectly fine in quant/stats courses in university though. Now I know all schools go on about holistic processes etc., but not sure that I believe that.  My colleague suggested that the quant score would pretty much rule me out for certain programs.

Sooo, I would give big thanks to anyone who could let me know what type of programs I should be competitive in applying to. I am looking for public policy mainly, though I've also considered political science. Masters level. Mostly looking in the US but would consider internationally too.

I didn't post in the how competitive thread because I'm not even sure what programs to have in play at this point! I'm new to this process...

Edited by JiHoo

If you have 10 years experience, you're in a different category. The standard policy programs are for people with 2-5 years experience, whereas people with your level of experience tend to go for executive programs. 

That said, without knowing what your experience is, with 10 years of policy (not admin assistant, not random barista job) experience, you are competitive anywhere.

Hey thanks for that response ?

I was thinking I may fall into the executive category (I do have leadership experience and not just lower level stuff),  but from little I know so far the options for funded executive programs seem rather limited (granted I think they're on the shorter side, so less pricey). There is Princeton's (the MPP), and that seems amazing, although I'm under the impression that is exceptionally hard to get accepted to. Are there any other notable executive policy programs? I guess on the brighter side, from what I've seen quant demands are a bit lower for executive programs.

When it comes to the standard programs, those more typical for people with 2-5 years of experience,  I know of HKS, WWS MPA, and SIPA (I've been told the first two are pretty much out due to my 156 quant) . Am I right in thinking the major programs are offered through here? I am trying to compile a list of programs, both executive and non-executive, so any others that posters here have in mind would be great, especially those realistic for a 156 Q.

And right now I'm going to search around here to see what I can find!

Edited by JiHoo

• 2 weeks later...
hours ago, UrbanPolicy&Development said:

I got in everywhere I applied including WWS with a 157 Q. 

Congrats! Would you mind saying a bit about the type of experience you have? Anything particular that mightve balanced out the quant score?

Edited by JiHoo

9 hours ago, JiHoo said:

Congrats! Would you mind saying a bit about the type of experience you have? Anything particular that mightve balanced out the quant score?

If you look through people's posting history, you can usually find this information in the results thread.

16 hours ago, woolscarves said:

If you look through people's posting history, you can usually find this information in the results thread.

Thanks for that!

Edited by JiHoo

Don't let a low quant score deter you. I got into Johns Hopkins SAIS (which has a reputation for quantitative rigor) with a 154 on the quant portion (although, admittedly, I only took the bare minimum of quant required). Wound up with B-s (aka grade inflation) for all my econ classes and As for everything else. 

My low quant score never came up in my interview.

• 2 months later...

So, I'm wondering if I should apply to Princeton's MPP (1-year program for mid-career'ers) or MPA program (2 year program).

On the one hand, I have about 10 years full-time work experience in policy (although only 8 of those were post undergrad) and am in my early 30s, which are both a bit higher than the usual for the MPA program. On the other hand, in experience and age I think this is slightly lower than the norm for the MPP program, so I'm kind of in between.

Also, although I have high verbal and writing scores, my quant score of 156 is lower than virtually every MPA student's (according to the admissions guide), but not nearly as comparatively low for the MPP.

The 1 year vs 2 year isn't so much of an issue for me as both fit with my goals and interests in some way. It's more a matter of which I would have a better shot in. I worry that with my quant score applying to the MPA would virtually be blowing any chance, even though my experience is probably strong for that program.

Thanks!

Edited by JiHoo

On 7/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, irapplicant1776 said:

I got into SIPA and other good schools, and I think my quant was lower than yours. Given your profile I wouldn't rule out any school; the question will just be funding.

Hey! 

So I have a low GRE score but my overall profile is great! I have 2.5 years experience and a bunch of volunteering work. 

I want to know how low can a GRE score be for SIPA standards ?

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, JiHoo said:

So, I'm wondering if I should apply to Princeton's MPP (1-year program for mid-career'ers) or MPA program (2 year program).

On the one hand, I have about 10 years full-time work experience in policy (although only 8 of those were post undergrad) and am in my early 30s, which are both a bit higher than the usual for the MPA program. On the other hand, in experience and age I think this is slightly lower than the norm for the MPP program, so I'm kind of in between.

Also, although I have high verbal and writing scores, my quant score of 156 is lower than virtually every MPA student's (according to the admissions guide), but not nearly as comparatively low for the MPP.

The 1 year vs 2 year isn't so much of an issue for me as both fit with my goals and interests in some way. It's more a matter of which I would have a better shot in. I worry that with my quant score applying to the MPA would virtually be blowing any chance, even though my experience is probably strong for that program.

Thanks!

Go for it !! :)

I am somewhat in a similar boat.  I have a MPA for Syracuse, and I have about 14 years experience.  I applying to Mid Career MIPP programs (one year) in the DC region though.