Advice: PhD Biostats 2019

I would like to ask for your opinion regarding my application for PhD programs in Biostatistics 2019. All programs seem to require strong background in mathematics, demonstrated by several semesters in Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus, ideally Real Analysis and Numerical Analysis as well. Some top programs seem to favor students with previous experience in programming languages such as Python, R or MATLAB.

However, I am not sure if PhD programs in Biostatistics also require previous exposure to Biology and/or Genetics of any sorts. I graduated with a bachelor and a master degree with heavy mathematical/statistical components from a top UK institution (my bachelor degree was in fact mathematics with specialization in statistics). But I am not sure if the lack of formal training in biology will be a big disadvantage to me when applying for top Biostatistics programs. 

Apart from PhD programs in Biostatistics, I am also applying to Statistics programs, where there are faculty members with interests in biomedical sciences.

Thanks very much for your opinions.

You don't need a bio background to get into any biostats phd program, it probably doesn't even help in a lot of cases since programs want to see first and foremost that you have the math background to handle their coursework. I majored in math/cs (took one stats class during undergrad) and got into good biostats programs, your background won't be a problem.

Furthermore, a lot of biostatistics isn't really biology at all anyways. Sure, you need to know some bio for a lot of statistical genetics, but less so to research clinical trials, electronic health records, environmental spatial statistics, epidemiology, etc.