Second thoughts and cold feet

Hey everyone. I have been accepted into an expensive and prestigious SLP program in Boston. After being waitlisted by three schools and then, finally, being accepted, I paid my deposit. 

School is a month away and I feel like backing out. It’s primarily motivated by finances. With 50k in undergraduate debt (I put myself through and was young and naive) I really fear adding 100k on top of this. Especially for a program in a career I don’t feel totally attached to. Like if I had no reservations I would go, but I’ve made the mistake of reading reddit and seeing professionals disillusioned by the field.

The problem is I can see myself doing all manner of careers and being happy. I love kids and I love helping people, but can’t I find that fulfillment in a career that won’t bury me in debt?

i guess I have to decide whether the pros of SLP outweigh the cons. Flexible schedule, decent pay, and benefits all sound great. But two years of school and mountains of debt is giving me a lot of anxiety and second thoughts. 

Am I crazy to back out of a program I accepted? I feel kind of crazy. And I feel bad for accepting, when someone else could have taken my spot gladly. 

Any thoughts on this? Words of advice? 

Have you looked into scholarships or teaching assistant positions to give you a break on tuition? Personally I’m not overly concerned about my student loan debt because I know I’ll love this field and it’ll give me job stability since I’ll never be without a job. You could also look into loan forgiveness programs, I know the state of NY does one in exchange for working 6 years with their public school system.

i know money is a concern but if it’s a field you love, don’t let it be the reason you don’t go. 

As for someone else having had the chance, you shouldn’t feel bad. What’s for them won’t pass them by and a spot might open after all if you turn it down. 

20 minutes ago, bzzzzzzz said:

Hey everyone. I have been accepted into an expensive and prestigious SLP program in Boston. After being waitlisted by three schools and then, finally, being accepted, I paid my deposit. 

School is a month away and I feel like backing out. It’s primarily motivated by finances. With 50k in undergraduate debt (I put myself through and was young and naive) I really fear adding 100k on top of this. Especially for a program in a career I don’t feel totally attached to. Like if I had no reservations I would go, but I’ve made the mistake of reading reddit and seeing professionals disillusioned by the field.

The problem is I can see myself doing all manner of careers and being happy. I love kids and I love helping people, but can’t I find that fulfillment in a career that won’t bury me in debt?

i guess I have to decide whether the pros of SLP outweigh the cons. Flexible schedule, decent pay, and benefits all sound great. But two years of school and mountains of debt is giving me a lot of anxiety and second thoughts. 

Am I crazy to back out of a program I accepted? I feel kind of crazy. And I feel bad for accepting, when someone else could have taken my spot gladly. 

Any thoughts on this? Words of advice? 

If you are having this many doubts, can you see if you can defer for the year and work full-time?

Given your debt loads, I would hesitate to take on more loans for a career that you are not sold on yet.  And honestly, grad school is always going to be there.  If you decide in your year off that you really do want to go then you can reapply if they don't let you to defer. 

I have seen a good number of people enter graduate programs that they either never finish or finish - but don't want the attached career - and it's a very difficult road for them mostly because of their student loan debt that tends to curtail their choices.  My advice is to be at least 80-85% sure that you want this career before going back for the degree.

Flexibility and pay will never be enough of a reason to enroll in any program if you don't love the field. I think one of the best quotations I've heard is this:
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

There are plenty of jobs out there that offer flexible scheduling, decent pay and benefits. No job is worth it if you feel the stress will continue and you'll have a mounting debt.

If you are not passionate about this field specifically don't do it!  100%. If you have honestly reflected and know other career you are more passionate about do that!  No one should judge you for listening to your gut.  I think maybe those who are posting on Reddit may have felt the same way or gone into the field without all the facts about the day to day struggles and found themselves in a position where the cons outweigh the pros.  There are many happy SLPs not posting on Reddit very happy working years the same place.  It really depends on the individual and their  passion!!  Follow yours and don't worry about changing your mind!

I had a friend who clearly was not as passionate about the job and didn't like most of the clinics.  I doubt she will be in the field 10 years from now.  It's a lot of money for a temp career!

I agree with all of the other people. Don't pile on more debt if you are not 100% positive this is what you want to do. I would hate for you to pay the money and then realize after taking out loans or whatever you are planning on doing, that this is definitely not the field for you and then you back out half way through. It is a lot of money and time to commit to if you are already having thoughts about backing out. With that being said, if you really love the field there could be ways around all this debt. It will be a lot of hard work and a lot of research on your part. I know that UPMC in Western Pennsylvania will help pay off loans as long as you commit to them for the number of years they are paying for you. Now, jobs can be hard to come by but UPMC is a huge company in my area so that is what I am praying for. If you are from the Boston area, you could always look into companies that would do something similar. I always say that some loan forgiveness is better than none. 

Another thing to consider is if this field is for you, but you can't see yourself paying that much for grad school, then take a year off. You could maybe work full-time doing something that is interesting to you for that year. This could help solidify your mind when it comes to pursuing and graduate degree , and give you time to apply to less expensive programs. If you do take this route, I would suggest only applying to programs that will be reasonable for you to pay back. My program gives every SLP graduate student a GA position that is 3/4 tuition reduction for the first year. That is what sold me on this particular program.

Ultimately, this is your life. You should definitely do what makes you happy (cheesy I know) and what you feel most comfortable with. Don't go to graduate school because you think you should. There are plenty of other fulfilling careers out there, that could definitely be for you! 

Best of luck. 

Have you thought about deferring for a year? See if it is an option. Work full-time and save as much as you can. 

You're right, $100,000 is a lot of debt. That is basically like buying a house! I'm not saying don't go, but maybe think about it. 

If you got in once, you've definitely get what it takes to get in again...at a more affordable, state school. 

Just my 2 cents

One additional note from a non-SLPer: I don't know if you can work for the state in SLP (I would think you could?  But I'm not sure), but those loans might be eligible for loan-forgiveness if you can after 10 years.  So that might be an element worth investigating too.  Maybe income-based repayment too?

That said, if you do, make sure that each of your payments over that decade "counts" towards that 10 year/120 payment line.  Loan companies frequently don't know what they're talking about, and I've had several friends whose company told them they were good...only to discover a few years later that they didn't have the "Right" type of loan.

Either way, I wouldn't go to grad school for a program you're not at least 90% sure of, no matter how prestigious it is.  I think you have to look in your heart to determine if you just have jitters, or if you're legit not passionate about the field.

I agree with everyone, try finding some sort of funding and really work on that. I think you miss all the shots you don't take right, but at the end of the day making a pro and con list and talking to people who know you might help clear up the decision. 

I love what I do, I came from a complete different background so I understand. its scary moving on when you know you don't want to do something, I am an older student now and I don't regret leaving behind my other career. 

Sleep on it and make a pro and con list. Also talk to someone, maybe an advisor etc. Also don't be swayed by online presence, there are a lot of misers that get burned out or went into it with the wrong expectations and reasons, there will always be that!