How Strong Is My Application? Mech E PHD

Erin226

Hi everybody!

I am currently planning on pursuing a PhD in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on robotics. While researching schools to apply to, I keep coming back to the same question. How strong is my application? I've listed credentials below and will just let you know right away that my biggest weaknesses in my application are my GPA , Letters of Recommendation, and lack of research experience.

Major: Mechanical Engineering from UT Austin

GPA: 3.31/4.00

GRE:

Quan: 168 (94%)

Verb: 159 (83%)

AW: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: Three professors (Either all three from engineering, or two from engineering and one from business). I'd say they will all be lukewarm letters.

Research Experience: None

Work Experience: Currently 1 year in manufacturing (unrelated to what I want to study my PhD in)

Let me know what you all think! I'm currently looking at schools with grad mechanical engineering programs ranked 40-80. Also, should I consider doing a master's to acquire a better GPA and add research experience? Is it worth paying out of pocket?

Thanks!