GRE Subject Suggested? What to do...

virusologii

None of the graduate schools I am applying to require me to take the subject test in the GRE (I am a biomedical sciences prospective applicant), but several of them say "GRE Subject Suggested" and one says "Subject Highly Suggested". I had fairly decent GRE General test scores, but I'm not sure if I should try and take the subject test (it would be Biology). Since no one really requires it, would it hurt my chances a lot if I don't take it? My grades are good and I have excellent letters of recommendation, as well as four years of research experience. 

I am struggling financially, and I don't know if I can even  pay rent this month, let alone afford to take the test right now, but if it really is a necessary part of the application, I can try and figure something out. Applications alone are going to be a struggle, and though I qualify for waivers for applications, I still have to pay to send the GRE scores themselves (I know I have to do this for the General test anyway).

Any input or suggestions?

Don't take it. Waste of money. Many schools aren't even requiring the normal GRE these days - subject would be excessive. If it was necessary it would be required, and if you can't afford it don't bother. Especially if you have a good GPA in your field, you're already displaying subject competency. 

Edited by BabyScientist

If you are on the fence about it, email the graduate admissions secretaries for the departments to which you are applying. They will know if students generally submit scores for these exams. You can also email prospective professors in the department, and ask if those scores are heavily weighted the admissions process. My rule of thumb for test scores and submitted documents is to email people in the actual program, because only they can give you a definitive answer.