How to diplomatically figure out if MA is awarded in PhD program?

galois

I think it's an important to have an exit strategy in the case that a doctoral endeavor goes sideways, whether that be financial problems, marriage problems, or failed candidacy. Hence, part of my decision process on schools is whether or not there is a viable exit strategy. Ideally, an M.S or M.A. is typically awarded on the way to Ph.D. Next best option is that it is typical to be awarded an M.A. upon failure to advance to candidacy, provided that masters requirements are satisfied. Every other school I've encountered either 1) says nothing about the topic or 2) says that masters might be awarded in exceptional cases.

I've had to really dig through handbooks and alumni listings to figure this out for most schools, but still for some I could not find any information. Can anyone help me complete this list, or tell me a good way to figure this out? Somehow I think emailing and asking sends the wrong message..

School (Stat Dept unless specified) - Masters awarded

UC Santa Cruz - Yes

U Washington (Applied Math Dept) - Yes

Caltech - Maybe (exceptional cases)

Duke - Maybe

UC San Diego (Math Dept) - Maybe

UC Davis - Maybe

UC Irvine - Maybe

UC Santa Barbara - Maybe

UC Berkeley - Unknown

U Washington (Stat Dept) - Unknown

NC State - Unknown

UNC Chapel Hill - Unknown

University of Florida - Unknown

USC - Unknown

UT Austin - Unknown

Edited by galois
Specify looking at Statistics departments.

6 minutes ago, galois said:

UC Berkeley - Unknown

This document answers your question about Cal on page 22 (digital) / page 19 (printed).

FWIW, finding this document took less than thirty seconds. Maybe if you refine your search terms, you'll get the answers for other programs as well.

4 minutes ago, galois said:

@Sigaba Thanks for the help. That document is specifically for Department of Mathematics, and other departments, like Department of Statistics, might not follow the same policy.

"The Master's Degree. A student in the PhD program may obtain a Masters degree before completion of the PhD. To obtain an M.A., the student must meet the requirements of the Masters program."

Also, have you tried this resource? 

http://sgsa.berkeley.edu/prospective-students/the-department/prospective-students-faq

Edited by Sigaba

UF awards the Master of Statistics degree to those who obtain a "Masters pass" on the First Year Exam and who complete a Masters project. A 3.0 GPA is also needed to stay in the program but that is standard across all departments and grad schools (two people one year were asked to leave the program without a MS since they couldn't keep their GPA above 3.0).

I think almost all schools in the USA give you the option of getting a Masters along the way, either automatically after passing written qualifying exams and finishing required coursework, OR after all Masters requirements have been completed and an additional written Masters report/project is done. I would be surprised if there are any programs that explicitly forbid this "exit with a Masters" option, but maybe I'm just personally not aware of any.

Thanks, that's very reassuring. I do worry about the programs with verbiage such as "exceptional cases" and if those ones might make you jump through hoops.

I think you're over-thinking the worst case scenarios here. The schools aren't going to try to cheat you out of a master's degree. For instance, you say that UT Austin is a "maybe" but you can clearly look on their website and see that they offer a master's degree - just complete the courses! If the school offers a master's, you can probably get it. I'd suggest applying to the schools you want to apply to and just ask this question when you visit! Nobody is going to think less of you for it - it's not like you're scheming does a way to cheat the system; you just want to know in case something goes wrong!

Edited by bayessays

I was under the impression that they all award masters degrees if you've completed your coursework (the reqs for the masters degree). 

I doubt they would advertise it since they don't exactly want to admit students to PhD programs who they feel aren't committed to the PhD program and just want to use it for a free masters. 

Okay, this makes me feel better. And yeah, I suppose it's not as weird of a question if I've already been accepted and am just trying to have more information. Thanks for responding!

At UCB about 80 or 90 per cent of the starting PHd students complete the degree.  The rest usually get an offer from industry that they cant refuse and go to work in industry.  So getting a masters degree is not usually an issue.  That said after one or two years most PHd students would qualify for a masters degree and would get it if they left.

21 hours ago, Gauss2017 said:

At UCB about 80 or 90 per cent of the starting PHd students complete the degree.  The rest usually get an offer from industry that they cant refuse and go to work in industry.  So getting a masters degree is not usually an issue.  That said after one or two years most PHd students would qualify for a masters degree and would get it if they left.

Didn't you apply this past cycle? How would you know this?