Updating my CV

mcfc2018

Hi, sorry if this has been asked on the forum before, but I'm updating my CV for grad school (neuroscience) applications and was wondering what I should be putting on it. Namely:

1. My current CV was made when I was a college freshman and as such contains a lot of my high school stuff. This includes: Summer research program, teaching experience, and certain extracurriculars. Should any of this be included or should I just toss out everything prior to college? Similarly, are extracurriculars worth mentioning? I include it in resumes but I don't know about CVs.

2. What's the order of headings should I go in? 

3. How much detail should I add about my research?

Thanks for any help

1 hour ago, mcfc2018 said:

Hi, sorry if this has been asked on the forum before, but I'm updating my CV for grad school (neuroscience) applications and was wondering what I should be putting on it. Namely:

1. My current CV was made when I was a college freshman and as such contains a lot of my high school stuff. This includes: Summer research program, teaching experience, and certain extracurriculars. Should any of this be included or should I just toss out everything prior to college? Similarly, are extracurriculars worth mentioning? I include it in resumes but I don't know about CVs.

2. What's the order of headings should I go in? 

3. How much detail should I add about my research?

Thanks for any help

Hi,

To answer some of your questions:

1) I would take out anything that's not related to research or teaching.  It doesn't matter if you've done it as a high school student, if you've done research, I would definitely include it on there.  Teaching I would put under a separate section

2) Mine starts with my name, education, research experiences, bibliography/publications, presentations, teaching experiences, I have a small section on the two undergraduate grants I wrote, if you have awards (like a poster award) you can add that, and I have my relevant volunteer information last (ex. science fair judging).

3) I went into a fair amount of detail with my research.  I mentioned what my projects were or what my job duties were if I was a tech.  I didn't go into background, significance, or into the techniques I used too much when describing my research in the CV.  I saved that information for my research or personal statements.

I second the advice from @StemCellFan. For each of my research experiences, I included two bullets: one describing the project in one sentence, then one describing the general approach taken (e.g. techniques used). Also, I would include publications you have in any state, under review, submitted etc. 

I agree with StemCellFan's detailed response. 

Mine goes education, research experience, publications, abstracts, skills summary, and other experience.

Research experience was essentially each lab. I put in a sentence describing the labs overall goal, and then bullets describing techniques used.

Skills summary was a quick bulleted list of my general skills (ie histology, microscopy, data analysis with certain software, etc) 

Other experience was anything I did that I thought had any relevance. That included volunteering at a homeless shelter and working a customer service job (being able to handle people is always important). 

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, BabyScientist said:

I agree with StemCellFan's detailed response. 

Mine goes education, research experience, publications, abstracts, skills summary, and other experience.

Research experience was essentially each lab. I put in a sentence describing the labs overall goal, and then bullets describing techniques used.

Skills summary was a quick bulleted list of my general skills (ie histology, microscopy, data analysis with certain software, etc) 

Other experience was anything I did that I thought had any relevance. That included volunteering at a homeless shelter and working a customer service job (being able to handle people is always important). 

I know that this topic is super old, but I figured that my question didn't require an entirely new topic.  If I did volunteer work in a hospital/helped found a non profit, do you think that would be a positive or negative thing to include for a biology PhD program application? I don't want to give the impression that I'm pre-med, but I am super interested in the capacity of my future research for drug development (my hospital experience showed me that I like translational research, especially since I'm into stem cell modeling in neurological conditions).  Also, while the nonprofit I held a leadership role in wasn't actively involved in research, it was a public health initiative to limit the spread of preventable diseases, thereby kind of playing to the same tune as both share the common goal of reducing disease symptomology.

I hope that my CV shows that I like research (I will have worked in the same lab for 3 years when applying; 3 current WIP/soon to be submitted publications), but am interested in human applications

On 4/23/2020 at 10:53 AM, dopamine_machine said:

I know that this topic is super old, but I figured that my question didn't require an entirely new topic.  If I did volunteer work in a hospital/helped found a non profit, do you think that would be a positive or negative thing to include for a biology PhD program application? I don't want to give the impression that I'm pre-med, but I am super interested in the capacity of my future research for drug development (my hospital experience showed me that I like translational research, especially since I'm into stem cell modeling in neurological conditions).  Also, while the nonprofit I held a leadership role in wasn't actively involved in research, it was a public health initiative to limit the spread of preventable diseases, thereby kind of playing to the same tune as both share the common goal of reducing disease symptomology.

I hope that my CV shows that I like research (I will have worked in the same lab for 3 years when applying; 3 current WIP/soon to be submitted publications), but am interested in human applications

I would definitely add in your volunteer work. I'm in a very different field from you, but still Biology, and have a section for it on the last page of my CV. Some PIs apparently could care less about science outreach and/or volunteering, but whatever.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, dopamine_machine said:

I'd put it on there. Definitely won't hurt. Like dippedincoffee said, some people won't care, but some might like it. People have can have very different paths that lead them to a PhD, yours just included medically-relevant volunteer work. If you can tie those experiences in to why you want a PhD, even better. If not, no harm. We're allowed to explore careers before choosing one. 

56 minutes ago, BabyScientist said:

I'd put it on there. Definitely won't hurt. Like dippedincoffee said, some people won't care, but some might like it. People have can have very different paths that lead them to a PhD, yours just included medically-relevant volunteer work. If you can tie those experiences in to why you want a PhD, even better. If not, no harm. We're allowed to explore careers before choosing one. 

That's what I was hoping people would say, because I feel like working in the hospital helped me narrow down what kind of career I wanted.  Plus, I feel like it would be a waste to just discard so many of my extracurriculars when they did help bring me to the point I am at today in terms of my research goals.  Thanks everyone :)