How closely do research interests need align?

I'm preparing a SOP and was considering which faculty to mention as potential advisors/committee. One professor focuses on History of Education and War and Empire (the fields my research is most closely related to) within the context of post-Revolutionary France, whereas my research would focus on modern America. Is this too much of a discrepancy? Should I avoid mentioning him at all? Thanks! 

16 hours ago, historygeek said:

Have you contacted the professor? Are there other POI in the program that you could work with?

I haven't. I haven't had much guidance on how to compile that type of email. Would reaching out to him and asking him if our research interests align closely enough be warranted? 

2 hours ago, exitiumax said:

I haven't. I haven't had much guidance on how to compile that type of email. Would reaching out to him and asking him if our research interests align closely enough be warranted? 

I would. Just email him and ask if your interests align and if you’re a good fit in the department. 

• 2 weeks later...

In my applications if I didn't closely align with a professor I didn't mention them in my SOP. If I still ended up recommended to that professor (i.e. they called to interview me because someone slid my application in front of them) I would see how our research could be more closely aligned at that point. I wouldn't go as far as to mention a "committee" in your SOP though just persons you could see yourself working with and how your research ties into their work.

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to last year, this year when I sent out emails I included my CV and did a short write up on my research interest as well as how I thought our interests aligned. I got much better responses. Sometimes I sent an email saying "Although I realize our research interests are not a perfect fit, I believe my research interests tie in with the overarching themes of your lab due to x,y,x." Hope this helps!