Best Laptops for Research-- 2018

peter45

I am looking to buy a new laptop before beginning my psychology PhD program, and am trying to figure out if there are any somewhat affordable options ($500-$1000, I guess that's what passes for affordable these days) that will support data processing software and are light/ easy to carry around. I am ideally looking for a PC, but will go with Mac if it's the best option. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What kind of "data processing software"? Are you talking about statistical packages? Most laptops in that range should be more than capable of handling statistical packages these days, especially if you opt for 8 GB of RAM.

You're not going to find a Mac in the $500-1000 range. Not a new one, anyway.

I got an HP Spectre x360 several years ago for $800, and it ran Stata like butter. There are some good Lenovo machines in that price range, too. I replaced my HP recently with a Surface Laptop, which I love, and is super lightweight, and also plenty powerful enough for a statistical package. There are good Toshiba and Asus machines in the price range as well.

Mac isn't a good choice given the limited budget. Also, if you are going to seek something lightweight, the performance shall definitely be compromised. Therefore, if you are not moving a lot, try to consider some 15" laptops with great performance (i7, 16G RAM, SSD). There are a good many cheap choices within your budget, even with a great graphics card (if you are going to do some deep learning stuff).

Edited by civitas