Selecting PHD programs Art History

PHD!

I am trying to determine which art history phd programs to apply to if my goal is to work in a museum doing research and curatorial work on American culture, specifically monuments. Are there programs which have better results for placement with these kind of museums or in this field? I understand there are "The Big Three" art history phd programs. What schools would these be? Which is most important, ranking of school, placement record with museum programs, location of school, advisor who is doing similar research? How do I find a good fit. Is there a resource for this type of information. Thank you

Are there scholars you've read who are doing work related to what you want to do? What institutions are they affiliated with? Are they taking on new students? That's one way to research potential programs. If going into museum work (and not academia) is your goal, take a look at placement records for art history PhD programs and see where their graduates end up--what schools are placing graduates in the kinds of positions you would like to have? Location and program structure might also be factors to consider--are there programs that allow for internships at nearby museums, and/or that offer sufficient coursework to prepare you for a career in a museum? 

All these things you mentioned: ranking, placement record, location, advisor...these are what help to make up "fit." How to weigh each of those things depends on your own preferences and goals. If you're feeling overwhelmed by all the options, you might start by looking at lists of some of the top-ranked schools in your field (and subfield) and reading up on the details of the programs. Researching your options will allow you to determine what you need and want from a program, and from there, you can start compiling a list of schools that make sense for you. 

Are there lists of top-ranked schools which I could start with? There does not seem to be much comparative information available. For example UC has a professor who has written on a subject I am interested in but I have no way of determining how well respected the program is or how they compare to other programs. 

@PHD! I think you are using the wrong forum.  For history PhD, you'd want to look for programs that are strong in public history or American Studies.  Those programs will have professors more sympathetic to your career goals.  History PhD programs, even with all the talk about preparing for non-professor positions, still hinges on the tradition.

4 hours ago, PHD! said:

Are there lists of top-ranked schools which I could start with? There does not seem to be much comparative information available. For example UC has a professor who has written on a subject I am interested in but I have no way of determining how well respected the program is or how they compare to other programs. 

First, @TMP is right--you will probably want to consult the art history forum, rather than history.

As far as rankings go, here is one list: https://www.chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-History/124737.

You might also be interested in this thread, which is in the art history forum:

Thank you all. The thread on top ten was interesting but perhaps a bit out of date now. Does anyone have more current information on or experience with California programs, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, USC, UC Berkeley, Stanford, others? I am leaning west rather than mid-west or east, except perhaps the Univ of Pittsburgh where there is a monuments professor.  I do believe my field is better studied in an Art History Dept. but I am looking at History of Architecture as well as monuments crosses both. Comments on these programs welcome!

You're obviously not paying close enough of attention to what we are saying.  This isn't the right place for you to be asking questions.  Go to Art History fora.

16 hours ago, PHD! said:

Thank you all. The thread on top ten was interesting but perhaps a bit out of date now. Does anyone have more current information on or experience with California programs, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, USC, UC Berkeley, Stanford, others? I am leaning west rather than mid-west or east, except perhaps the Univ of Pittsburgh where there is a monuments professor.  I do believe my field is better studied in an Art History Dept. but I am looking at History of Architecture as well as monuments crosses both. Comments on these programs welcome!

History of architecture type work often takes place in art history departments. Really I can't stress how different history and art history departments are--it would be better to ask these questions of people who know about the art history field. It would also help to do some basic research into schools rather than asking people to identify "top schools" for you--unlike in undergrad the "top school" for your own research is very dependent on your subfield and approach.