Keeping Your Job While Doing a PhD?

GhostsBeforeBreakfast

Question

I've been thinking about doing something crazy lately but will probably convince myself that it's a bad idea sooner than later.

I have an MA. I'm essentially third in charge at my company, doing work directly related to my field and sometimes specific to my concentration. Yet, I personally feel unfulfilled in putting off a PhD and would like to feel more connected to academic circles and challenging academic work. Considering that my placement and hopefully indispensable nature at this company would allow the flexibility of attending courses, conducting research, and writing papers is it realistic for me to juggle the prospect of entering a PhD program and keeping this job?
Will I burn out really fast and regret my decision? I'd be doing this PhD for me more than anything; I don't even think it's necessary to help me move up in my career. I would need to keep the job to afford the PhD, as funding is nowhere near enough to sustain myself. Maybe it's just that I should be publishing but lack the motivation, needing the push from a structured program.

Bring me back to reality or send anecdotes about your own experience working a full-time (but flexible) job and starting a PhD program.

4 answers to this question

I think balancing a full-time job and a PhD program would be very difficult. Things can definitely vary from discipline to discipline, so you may be better off talking to someone in your specific field. However, PhD programs are competitive, so you may not get accepted to the one at a university nearby. Also, from my own experience, I just quit my full time job for my program because all of the responsibilities I wil have (coursework, research, and teaching) would make it impossible to work full time. From what I've seen talking to other people in my program, they sometimes have a part time job, but even that can be difficult to manage. 

You also have to keep in mind the amount of work that goes into a PhD that you do at home. When I did my MA, I was able to take a PhD level course and the amount of reading required for that course was significantly more than I had in my MA courses (which weren't necessarily light on reading either). 

If you are really considering this, see if you can email a current student in a PhD program you are interested in and ask them about the workload and time commitments. They would probably be the best at estimating how many hours a week you typically need to dedicate to doctoral studies. 

Edited by Hk328

Doing a PhD is a full-time job, one that requires significant commitments of time and energy over the course of several years. I have no idea how anyone would handle an additional full-time position on top of that. And if your funding package requires you to hold a research or teaching assistantship? I just don't know how there would be enough hours in the day, and that's without even mentioning the need for time to yourself, a social life, etc. 

3 hours ago, GhostsBeforeBreakfast said:

I've been thinking about doing something crazy lately but will probably convince myself that it's a bad idea sooner than later.

I recommend that you listen to your instincts on this topic.

As the number three in your company, it's likely that meeting, much less exceeding, the expectations of your organization will become increasingly difficult. Simultaneously, an academic department is going to expect you to be "all in." Murphy being Murphy, at the worst possible moment, you're going to experience a situation where both your private sector and academic interests need your full attention and effort. 

I recommend that you put yourself in the best position to succeed in one arena or the other.

1 hour ago, Sigaba said:

I recommend that you listen to your instincts on this topic.

As the number three in your company, it's likely that meeting, much less exceeding, the expectations of your organization will become increasingly difficult. Simultaneously, an academic department is going to expect you to be "all in." Murphy being Murphy, at the worst possible moment, you're going to experience a situation where both your private sector and academic interests need your full attention and effort. 

I recommend that you put yourself in the best position to succeed in one arena or the other.

This is wise. It's so hard to predict the future and even foolish to try and do so. My emotional instincts go through very strong flows of feeling the need to do a PhD for personal reasons and personal achievement. Maybe I should talk to my potential advisor about it, as we have luckily already met at functions, and attend some Q+A sessions at the program(s) I'm considering. I'd probably wait a few months to do this, since it's prime application season for those who are serious about entering for next Fall and I'm not ready for that. I guess these steps would make the situation feel more present and clear.