Transfer credits

NYCStudent

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone around here was successfully able to transfer graduate credits towards a PhD degree in a different subject. I'm in the process of applying for PhD programs in History for Fall 2019, and I'd like to focus on the history of U.S. education - particularly higher education - and its role in shaping the political/economic/social landscape in post WWII America.

My BA is in History, and I have my Master's degree in Higher Education Administration. My graduate program was out of the School of Public and International Affairs, so much of my coursework was more typical of a MPA degree than a counseling/student services degree. I took many courses in education history and policy, as well as wrote my capstone thesis on austerity policies around public higher education. One course in particular was taught from a historical angle, while the others were more from a sociology/poli sci methodology. 

Anyone have a similar background of previous graduate work more in the social sciences that was able to count towards a History PhD? 

Thanks!

it depends on the PhD program you're applying to.  I had an interdisciplinary MA.  I was accepted to 2 programs.

My current program: All of my MA credits transferred so I didn't have to take a MA exam but I still had to do 2 years of coursework like most people, regardless of they came in with BA or MA.

My other accepted program: My POI didn't think the credits will transfer because most weren't in history and the program really wanted to form me (as @telkanuru said) but my POI was interested in looking into waiving the MA thesis requirement because my MA thesis was already historically based.

It varies from one program to another.  Still, no matter what, you'll likely still have to do 2 years of coursework, primarily to prepare for your doctoral exams and teaching and getting to know faculty members who might sit on your committees.

It strongly varies based on department. For example, Princeton gives no credit for previously completed MAs, nor does Penn (HSS, at least). Yale and Harvard give some credit, so you don't have to write the MA thesis or take some course or whatever.