Any PhD Public Health People out there?

angrawa

Wow, stories, thank you for being so descriptive! It is a real treasure to find someone who will take the time to share their experience with others... and I'm happy that you enjoy it too! That is why these forums are so great... I can honestly say this discussion has been a real uplift to the whole prospect of my getting a PhD. Especially because I am a big-time planner (much to my wife's amusement, because she is a bit more relaxed... :mrgreen: ), I think just being able to hash it out helps.

Ok... so do well on the typical scoring stuff, but focus heavily on understanding the research culture at each university, market to that culture & the corresponding faculty that share your interests. While it has been on the books for a bit, I will focus on seeing if I can partner with one of Case's public health faculty to familiarize myself with the process of more established researchers (and if I can get a name on a paper, that works too! ... but mainly so that I can learn from/with them). That may help with the personal statement too, because I figure someone who has already done some research on his/her topic focus will sound more credible than another who just has an focus inkling.

Congratulations on getting into Yale! I think the gene-environmental is just fascinating... our health department is just beginning a grant for the National Children's Study, and that is just got me hopping to think of all that data... man, if you ever find a way to get a participants to honestly & accurately fill a 100 page questionnaire, that would be just golden. I'm really psyched ... It's like walking into a random store blindfolded, taking it off, and you discovering what is there over the course of your wanderings...so cool. What is your focus?

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts! It really is invaluable.

Haha, I can understand the enthusiasm. Getting a PhD is something that I've wanted to do for several years now, and now that I'm officially in the process of getting there, it's very exciting.

My own studies (once I get there) will be focusing on environmental exposures (most likely air chemicals) and lung cancer. I'm funded on a National Cancer Institute training grant, so cancer is going to be my outcome. What exactly, I still haven't determined yet. Yale has several labs in the PH school, so I'll probably be incorporating some gene-environment and molecular work, as well. It's all exciting, and once I get to the thesis prospectus stage, I'll definitely need to hone my ideas down to something that I can actually work on :)

You know, the PhD thing really is great because it helps you plan for your own career and life. It kills me when I don't have a general plan (and to me, graduate school is a general plan). I know where my money is coming from the next 4 years and I know what I'm dedicating my life to for the next 4 years. It was definitely a relief when I got accepted to one school because i knew even if I got into no other schools, I'd at least have one option. Luckily, I got into a lot more schools than that and had a choice to make :)

Okay, I'll stop rambling now!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I'm guilty of that too...I guess the important part isn't rambling itself, but knowing/admitting that you ramble, right? I am really glad the preventative side of healthcare is coming to the fore, be it environment, gene-mapping & mutagenic behavior, or nutrition. You've probably seen this clip before on regenerative medicine, but if things like this are coming in the next decade, then I can't wait to see what we all find through our research:

One of the ideas I had for a focus is based on accreditation. The current process with the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) is a national beta test - starting this summer - for a group of PH agencies that will measure how well they function within 10 identified public health standards (taken from the CDC's National Public Health Performance Standards Program [NPHPSP] and the National Association of County & City Health Officials [NACCHO]). Assuming everything stays on track, in 2011 the accreditation process will be opened up for anyone. For those that volunteer for it, I think it would be interesting to measure and compare how (un)successfully the transition is for a sample of small, medium, and large health agencies, and see if any best (or worst) practices are out there for managing the change.

One other one is another survey of best practice, this time for the rehabilitation of homeless that fall under the "dual-diagnoses" category... those with drug addiction and mental illness. I'd have to see what current research is out on that already, though.

Ok, now I'm the guilty rambler... but I did want to ask something. How did you present yourself in your personal statement & interview if you didn't have a specific research question yet? In other words, what level of focus-specificity do you think tells the faculty you are interested and a good fit? Was the interview them grilling you on your focus and seeing if you had thought it through?

:D I'm guilty of that too...I guess the important part isn't rambling itself, but knowing/admitting that you ramble, right? I am really glad the preventative side of healthcare is coming to the fore, be it environment, gene-mapping & mutagenic behavior, or nutrition. You've probably seen this clip before on regenerative medicine, but if things like this are coming in the next decade, then I can't wait to see what we all find through our research:

One of the ideas I had for a focus is based on accreditation. The current process with the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHAB) is a national beta test - starting this summer - for a group of PH agencies that will measure how well they function within 10 identified public health standards (taken from the CDC's National Public Health Performance Standards Program [NPHPSP] and the National Association of County & City Health Officials [NACCHO]). Assuming everything stays on track, in 2011 the accreditation process will be opened up for anyone. For those that volunteer for it, I think it would be interesting to measure and compare how (un)successfully the transition is for a sample of small, medium, and large health agencies, and see if any best (or worst) practices are out there for managing the change.

One other one is another survey of best practice, this time for the rehabilitation of homeless that fall under the "dual-diagnoses" category... those with drug addiction and mental illness. I'd have to see what current research is out on that already, though.

Ok, now I'm the guilty rambler... but I did want to ask something. How did you present yourself in your personal statement & interview if you didn't have a specific research question yet? In other words, what level of focus-specificity do you think tells the faculty you are interested and a good fit? Was the interview them grilling you on your focus and seeing if you had thought it through?

Whoa, that guy's regeneration of cells and building organs is really something. I suppose it's not a novel idea in itself, but to find a way to give it the proper form and shape, now that's something.

Ahh, sounds like you and I have very different research interests :) I understand the need for what is basically an audit of our healthcare delivery system. I'm sure anyone with a MPH has heard the same thing in their HPM class :)

My personal statement was defined as such: (1) Introduction of how and why I want to get a PhD in Epidemiology, (2) my characteristics that make me a good academic, (3) my research skills and past research, (4) my research areas of interest, (5) why school X is a good fit and professor Y and Z I'd like to work with for A B and C research topics.

I'll elaborate on topics 4 and 5. For number 4, I talked about my specific interest in respiratory health. I mentioned why I was interested in it (because of the plethora of outcomes to measure), how my past education fit into why I want to measure it, and what are potential areas I could measure. It was specific, yet still general because I don't mention specific research methods or study designs, but generally the subject matter I see myself going into. For number 5, I mentioned research centers or projects (by name) that the school had going which I had an interest in working with (and why it fit with me). I mentioned specific professors and their work and how they would fit into my studies as potential advisers. So I was pretty specific identifying who to work with and what direction I needed/wanted.

As for the interviews, there wasn't much grilling. It was much more of a, "we want to get to know you, so let's have a discussion, and let us sell the University to you". It's a bit odd compared to job interviews since they definitely try to push their own resources on you to help you make a decision. Especially if they bring you in for an interview, they're more likely trying to see if your personality would fit with the faculty more than seeing if you're qualified to be at the school since your grades/scores/personal statement really takes care of that aspect.

Awesome... that helps to clarify the tone of the interview. I tend to do well with interpersonal communication, so I'm going to focus on the meat & potatoes aspects of amping up the research portion of the resume & identifying/speaking-with faculty.

I really think that some of this information will be helpful to other aspiring PhD's, PH or otherwise. I am sure I am not the only one with these questions, and am really glad this is in the forums.

Thank you again Stories for all your insight... and for everyone else who took the time to give pointers. Hoping this coming Spring is productive, enjoyable, and not too stressful for all, and wishing you all the best in your acceptance & future careers! Hope to someday run into you at seminars/conventions, or read of you in the coming years!

Hello, first time poster.. cool forum, would have been helpful for my grad apps..

i just finished submitted application to three programs in canada:

- health and behavioural science PhD, Dalla Lana school of pub. health, university of toronto

- health policy PhD, McMaster University

- Health Services Research PhD, school of population and public health, university of british columbia

-I received email notice of acceptance to UBC. very flattering letter, which made me wonder if they indeed were talking about me :P Need to send my decision my Apr. 15..

-had a phone call with Mac. I hope they decide on my status soon.

-no news yet from the centre of the universe (ie. UofT). not optimistic about this one. Ithink they said next friday (Apr 3) was their deadline for sending out letters.

on a side note, i saw that one person was accepted into the Dalla Lana Behavioural Health Science PhD. Also a person reported being accepted to the Health Policy PhD at Mac. Would the guilty parties care to share their stories?!

congrats to those with options and continued good luck to all! this circus is almost over!

Awesome... that helps to clarify the tone of the interview. I tend to do well with interpersonal communication, so I'm going to focus on the meat & potatoes aspects of amping up the research portion of the resume & identifying/speaking-with faculty.

I really think that some of this information will be helpful to other aspiring PhD's, PH or otherwise. I am sure I am not the only one with these questions, and am really glad this is in the forums.

Thank you again Stories for all your insight... and for everyone else who took the time to give pointers. Hoping this coming Spring is productive, enjoyable, and not too stressful for all, and wishing you all the best in your acceptance & future careers! Hope to someday run into you at seminars/conventions, or read of you in the coming years!

Good luck with your applications. It's a stressful time, but the reward will be worth it!

just got my 'congratulations' email from the program director at the University of Toronto (Dalla Lana School of Pub Health). Should be getting the official letter in the mail soon.

im so eff'ing happy! :D

2-0-1

still waiting on McMaster, but I think I'm set for TO.

just got my 'congratulations' email from the program director at the University of Toronto (Dalla Lana School of Pub Health). Should be getting the official letter in the mail soon.

im so eff'ing happy! :D

2-0-1

still waiting on McMaster, but I think I'm set for TO.

Congrats! It's a wonderful feeling being accepted to your no. 1 choice isn't it? :)

^ was at work when i got the word.. felt like screaming out.. instead i emailed my brother in CAPS, hehe.. close enough.

I still won't feel totally secure until i receive the official letter (esp with my other accept deadline coming up on the 15th), but i'm still confident, happy and greatful. Sometime soon i want to document all my steps and experiences througout this process on the forum. Hopefully it will help other have an easier time than i did (felt like i was feeling my way in the dark at some points..). I'd encourage others to do so as well. Ours is a discipline unlike many others and from what i've been able to find, it is one that requires more coverage with regard to the application/review/admission processes.

anyway,

im sure once it's sunk in, i'll find something else to worry about (ie. moving across the country). At the moment, i think im finally ready to be productive at work again, hahah!

^ was at work when i got the word.. felt like screaming out.. instead i emailed my brother in CAPS, hehe.. close enough.

I still won't feel totally secure until i receive the official letter (esp with my other accept deadline coming up on the 15th), but i'm still confident, happy and greatful. Sometime soon i want to document all my steps and experiences througout this process on the forum. Hopefully it will help other have an easier time than i did (felt like i was feeling my way in the dark at some points..). I'd encourage others to do so as well. Ours is a discipline unlike many others and from what i've been able to find, it is one that requires more coverage with regard to the application/review/admission processes.

anyway,

im sure once it's sunk in, i'll find something else to worry about (ie. moving across the country). At the moment, i think im finally ready to be productive at work again, hahah!

It definitely seems like the PH disciplines weigh your SoP a lot more than other programs and GRE is pretty insignificant (at least that's what I've thought). I spent a LOT of time on my SoP and I had 2 professors review it 5+ times before submission :)

It definitely seems like the PH disciplines weigh your SoP a lot more than other programs and GRE is pretty insignificant (at least that's what I've thought). I spent a LOT of time on my SoP and I had 2 professors review it 5+ times before submission :)

ya, that sounds familiar. I must have spent 2.5 months preparing my SoPs. I got a lot of feedback from many different parties, which was GOOD and BAD. Deciding which advice to weigh more was a bit nerve wracking.. when i finalized my statements and submitted them i would go through periodic phases of reading and re-reading, trying to guess how they the adcomm would interpret them.. "did i use a term that red flagged my application?" "did i represent my interests adequately?" "did i have too much professional experience and not enough research?" and so on.

my final assessment is that i did a lot of things right and some things less-right in my statements.. i believe this is the area that needs the most elucidation by past applicants for future ones.

as a side note, i found the following article to be the most insightful in my investigation to write the 'perfect' SoP (even though it is in a different discipline):

http://wcx.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/21/3/242

I have the full pdf version if anyone cannot access it. just pm me with your email.

ok, I need advice! Hopkins (10k for two years, not including insurance) or Chapel Hill (14k for two years, includes insurance). This is for health policy and management. I have great advisors at both, both are great schools. I've thought about this a lot, I just want to make sure there isn't some factor I'm missing here. I feel like I might be leaning towards UNC because I'd have more freedom with my research there and cause it's not in Baltimore. :/

ok, I need advice! Hopkins (10k for two years, not including insurance) or Chapel Hill (14k for two years, includes insurance). This is for health policy and management. I have great advisors at both, both are great schools. I've thought about this a lot, I just want to make sure there isn't some factor I'm missing here. I feel like I might be leaning towards UNC because I'd have more freedom with my research there and cause it's not in Baltimore. :/

I think you should go with your gut and pick UNC. Your $$ will probably go farther there (especially after the first year, when you can pay resident tuition), and more freedom with your research is a huge plus, IMO. Plus, yeah, it's not Baltimore. :wink:

I think you should go with your gut and pick UNC. Your $$ will probably go farther there (especially after the first year, when you can pay resident tuition), and more freedom with your research is a huge plus, IMO. Plus, yeah, it's not Baltimore. :wink:

Seconded, UNC.

What's the stance on tuition? Waived? Must pay for it?

Just out of curiosity: I'm wondering how everyone did in the application game? It's about time that most of us have made final decisions on where to attend, I'm just kind of interest to know what the gamut is.

I applied to epidemiology programs. I applied to 17 schools and got into 4. Didn't hear back/withdrew from 5 before they had handed down a decision.

I got into one of my top choices, Yale. I accepted the offer with a NCI (National Cancer Institute) training fellowship which covers tuition, health insurance, and a stipend. Most folks are able to complete their degree within 4 years. My area will be environmental epidemiology looking at respiratory cancers.

Just out of curiosity: I'm wondering how everyone did in the application game? It's about time that most of us have made final decisions on where to attend, I'm just kind of interest to know what the gamut is.

I got 5/6 rejections. One of those rejections (NYU) annoys me - the school barely even has a Public Health pogramme, and they consider me beneath them?!?!

I think that I shot myself in the foot with the majority of my applications. I wrote my SoPs and writing samples in the last couple of days bfore my application deadlines. One of my recommenders told me straight up that he'd be able to write a stronger letter in a year when I had finished chapters of my thesis he could base his comments on. Finishing my MPH thesis would also have upped my GPA.

My acceptance is at UMass. Not particularly prestigous; fortunately, I couldn't care less about rankings. The programme requires a minor in a non-PH department, which is perfect for me. They'll get back to me about funding in a couple of weeks.

I'm excited, but uncertain whether to take it. Part of me wonders what would happen if I reapplied to my favourite programmes, Hopkins and Columbia, in a year. The application would be stronger for the reasons above, but my interests would still be weird and I'd still be an international student. And I have seen a few jobs advertised recently that would be PERFECT for me, not to mention I have an actual job offer, albeit not so exciting. The thought of choosing to be poor for 5 or so more years is not pleasant. On the other hand, it would be harder to do after a few years with an actual income.

Seconded, UNC.

What's the stance on tuition? Waived? Must pay for it?

Tuition waived at both for the first two years. I'm actually leaning more towards Hopkins now. I think the international name recognition might be worth living in poverty until I get some dissertation grant money. Also, the program looks a lot more rigorous.

With those federal traineeships do you have to do RA work or something along those lines to earn the funding?

Also, final score for me is in at 4 out, out at 1.

Tuition waived at both for the first two years. I'm actually leaning more towards Hopkins now. I think the international name recognition might be worth living in poverty until I get some dissertation grant money. Also, the program looks a lot more rigorous.

With those federal traineeships do you have to do RA work or something along those lines to earn the funding?

Also, final score for me is in at 4 out, out at 1.

Is there no tuition costs beyond the 1st two years or are you expected to bring in your own grant money at that point?

Hopkins, does indeed, have the huge name, but is it really that well known outside of the US? A ton of folks in the US don't even know about Hopkins (granted, those in the PH or medical fields will know Hopkins). I honestly don't thin the name recognition will do THAT much for you, the focus of your career will undoubtedly be on your research and you should definitely go where you might put out the better research.

As for my training grant/fellowship, I don't have to work as an RA--at all. My funding is for all my years (4). I basically do my dissertation work with the National Cancer Institute (where the fellowship comes from) while doing my coursework at Yale. Here's details: http://publichealth.yale.edu/nci/

I got 5/6 rejections. One of those rejections (NYU) annoys me - the school barely even has a Public Health pogramme, and they consider me beneath them?!?!

I think that I shot myself in the foot with the majority of my applications. I wrote my SoPs and writing samples in the last couple of days bfore my application deadlines. One of my recommenders told me straight up that he'd be able to write a stronger letter in a year when I had finished chapters of my thesis he could base his comments on. Finishing my MPH thesis would also have upped my GPA.

My acceptance is at UMass. Not particularly prestigous; fortunately, I couldn't care less about rankings. The programme requires a minor in a non-PH department, which is perfect for me. They'll get back to me about funding in a couple of weeks.

I'm excited, but uncertain whether to take it. Part of me wonders what would happen if I reapplied to my favourite programmes, Hopkins and Columbia, in a year. The application would be stronger for the reasons above, but my interests would still be weird and I'd still be an international student. And I have seen a few jobs advertised recently that would be PERFECT for me, not to mention I have an actual job offer, albeit not so exciting. The thought of choosing to be poor for 5 or so more years is not pleasant. On the other hand, it would be harder to do after a few years with an actual income.

I don't know anything about UMass, so I can't say much there.

One thing I know that being international will place you at a disadvantage is any spots in programs that are funded on federal grants (like my funding). Only US-citizens are eligible to receive those funds, which is unfortunate because any many non-US citizens would fit great.

Taking a job for a year isn't a bad thing at all. It's nice to be able to save up some money to bring to school. Especially on the meager stipends many students receive. But think of it this way, if you go to school now, you'll have a full year more of your increased earning potential in your eventual career post-PhD, rather than relying on money you earn with less earning potential.

^ i agree. everyone is different and has different motivation, but this is my take on the situation:

when i finished my MPH i felt like i was done (for the time being). i had shot through a Bachelors and Masters with no break. when i was about to wrap up the masters i felt it was time to start applying some of the knowledge and skills i had learnt. i wasn't ready for the PhD.

as an aside, both my brother and father have PhDs, along with a host of friends. the one thing i took from observing them is that you **DO NOT** jump into it until you are certain you a) want to do research and B) are completely infatuated with the topic and area of study. there WILL BE a point (never fails) where you dream of waking up in the middle of the night and taking a shotgun to your dissertation.. you passion for the topic and research is what will see you through. remember, it may not be well advertised, but there is a sizeable proportion of people who just cant complete.

if UMAS has a program that fits your needs, has supportive supervision and research opportunities AND you are absolutely ready for the PhD --> go for it. But just ask yourself: "Am i making a compromise?"

Sure there will be compromises along the way, but if they threaten your career goals and research objectives think carefully before you commit.

As for working, like i said before, i finished the MPH and wanted to work. i have had two great years working in the public sector for two big population and public health authorities. i wont name drop because that's not the point. the point is i have been able to observe how public health operates at a very high level and experienced first-hand the beauracracy within which it is embedded. if you want to do applied research in PH of any kind, learning the ideosyncracies of the beauracracy is essential.

why am i doing a PhD now? Now that i have a comfortable income and a secure job. simple. i want to do my own research and build myself towards a leadership role in PH. at the moment i have hit a ceiling. i already have the knowledge and skillset to do much more, but the PhD (for better or worse) is the credential/proving ground that allows one to do independent research credibly.

Re: non-US student funding. if you are canadian there are several lucrative sources for funding, including the Vanier and maybe even a Fullbright scholarship. check www.cos.com for more opportunities.

good luck in your decision! :)

my tally thus far

Official accepts: 1

Unofficial accepts: 1 (no letter yet, coming soon hopefully)

Pending: 1 (probably a rejection)

Total apps: 3

as an aside, both my brother and father have PhDs, along with a host of friends. the one thing i took from observing them is that you **DO NOT** jump into it until you are certain you a) want to do research and B) are completely infatuated with the topic and area of study. there WILL BE a point (never fails) where you dream of waking up in the middle of the night and taking a shotgun to your dissertation.. you passion for the topic and research is what will see you through. remember, it may not be well advertised, but there is a sizeable proportion of people who just cant complete.

Right on. I couldn't have said it better. The PhD is something you should feel absolutely certain about doing. It's not like undergrad (or even a MPH) where you can just coast through a lot of it. The results are entirely dependent upon your input. This is a marathon of an endeavor. Be sure you're prepared for it.

The PhD is something you should feel absolutely certain about doing. It's not like undergrad (or even a MPH) where you can just coast through a lot of it. The results are entirely dependent upon your input. This is a marathon of an endeavor. Be sure you're prepared for it.

Yeah, and I do feel ready for it. I had a few years between undergrad and my MPH. I absolutely know I want to do a PhD. Just a matter of whether this is my best option.

But congratualtions to all of us - applications are behind us, and we are fortunate that Public Health is actually the best academic discipline in existence!

Yeah, and I do feel ready for it. I had a few years between undergrad and my MPH. I absolutely know I want to do a PhD. Just a matter of whether this is my best option.

But congratualtions to all of us - applications are behind us, and we are fortunate that Public Health is actually the best academic discipline in existence!

Not only that, but there is also government and industry options outside of academia :)

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but since this is the most active one, I thought I'd ask my question here. I am an international student keen on working in the health communication/health education field. My original plan was to pursue a PhD in Communication with an emphasis on health communication. However, I am now starting to think that perhaps it would be better to apply to (more practical) MPH programs. What do you guys think ? I already have a master's in mass communication by the way.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but since this is the most active one, I thought I'd ask my question here. I am an international student keen on working in the health communication/health education field. My original plan was to pursue a PhD in Communication with an emphasis on health communication. However, I am now starting to think that perhaps it would be better to apply to (more practical) MPH programs. What do you guys think ? I already have a master's in mass communication by the way.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

You probably won't develop the exact skills you're looking for through a MPH program. The closest thing you'd learn is program assessment/development and community health in the Social Behavioral Health Sciences divisions of public health schools.