Any PhD Public Health People out there?

angrawa

I second the general enthusiasm about having a board of our very own - up until now, I was forced to channel my anxiety by neurotically stalking the history boards (my husband's discipline) instead. Which was admittedly rather pathetic, to put it mildly...Now I can legitimately wallow in my own suspense!

OK, but under which 'category' should it be? :-) Social Science, Humanities, Life Science, Government?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's always a good idea to let sleeping dogs lie :wink:

For all the health folks - still no word from Harvard Health Policy? I've been a bad applicant and have been calling the program all week, but it keeps going straight to voicemail. If God is trying to teach me a lesson in patience, he's failing miserably.

I also have not heard anything from Harvard Health Policy. (i haven't tried to contact them since submitting my application).

However, last fall I tried to contact the department multiple times and found it very difficult. My emails weren't answered for at least a month. And the response would be something like "I'm not sure if i've already replied to you, but if not..." I was very dissapointed with the communications skills of the department--I wonder if they are too innundated with applications, or if they only pay attention to students?

Also, the GSAS website was hacked this week. I don't know if it will impact admissions decisions, but it probably isn't going to hurry anything up.

Good luck!

I haven't heard anything from Harvard yet either but I am applying to Socio-medical sciences. I don't have any other offers so far, so I guess I am not in a rush to find out.

I have been working closely with a prof and UW Seattle (by far my first choice) for about a year and was hoping he would be advocating for my admission. I had a "hallway" meeting with him today and asked him what else I could do to strengthen my apps....he didnt seem to be that interested in the conversation. I'm a little bummed that I have been researching with him for a year and teaching a class, taking a class etc. while working full time in another town and he hasnt been pushing my apps.

Has anyone else heard from UW health Services PhD?

Silence on my end from UW Health Services. I guess it's important to remember that it's still only February.

I guess Tom Petty said it best with "The waiting is hte hardest part"--thanks for the reminder :D

I've definitely been quoting Tom Petty a lot recently.

Looks like someone finally did hear back from Harvard and posted their rejection over on the results board. Maybe I won't rush to get the mail today after all...

Anyone hears from UNC-Department of Health Behavior and Health Education or Columbia-sociomedical sciences? I am afraid the results won't come out until next month. :evil:

Nothing from Columbia on my end

Whohooo!!! Forget Harvard - I was just accepted into Wharton's PhD Program in Health Care Management and Economics!

UPDATE: Good thing, too, b/c Harvard just officially turned me down.

Congrats! This is fantastic news. You and hubby can be near each other and Philly is awesome!

I was also rejected from Harvard's Health Policy PhD program. I'm not really surprised because most of their current/former students in my area of study had MD's.

I also just received a very impersonal rejection from Yale, but at least they saved a tree (email > snail mail).

Thankfully I have two solid options so far (including my top choice of UNC!).

Best of luck to everyone else!

Be sure to take a class from Prof. Harsha Thirumurthy at UNC - he's a fantastic guy doing some brilliant research on the economics of AIDS treatment programs in Africa!

Thanks for the suggestion! Did you go to UNC by any chance?

Me? Never! I'm Duke blue through and through 8)

However, I worked with Harsha briefly and liked him a great deal.

Well, I wouldn't want to offend you, jaw17...but how familiar are you with the UNC campus? I want to start looking at housing options, but know nothing about the area. Ideally, I want to be near the School of Public Health and also near coffee shops, bars, ect. Any ideas? Thanks!

Just received an email that decisions from Harvard for Doctor of Public Health degree program in the Department of Society, Human Development, and Health are out.

I didnt get in :(

Ok, now there are only a few more schools left to hear from

sigh

I was also rejected by the same department, but for Doctor of Science degree.

I got the admission letter for Phd program in Department of Health, Behavior and Society in Johns Hopkins U, with a 50% tuition support. Would it possible for me to get TA or RA? I don't think I can afford the other tuition expenses.

Just received an email that decisions from Harvard for Doctor of Public Health degree program in the Department of Society, Human Development, and Health are out.

I didnt get in :(

Ok, now there are only a few more schools left to hear from

sigh

Hi Everyone,

So far, I have acceptances at Johns Hopkins and UW-Seattle for a Phd in Epidemiology. Also at UMD-College Park for PhD in Public & Commmunity Health. I'm still waiting to hear from Ohio State and U of Arizona (PhD in Epi for both).

I have a couple of questions ----

1.) Has anyone heard from Ohio State??

2.) Funding!?!?! What kind of funding are you all receiving? UW - Seattle seems to have a lot of funding opportunities. But, what about Johns Hopkins? Ohio State? Arizona?

I am trying to figure out where I can afford to go and just don't have a clear picture of funding --- It seems that other fields have so much more funding?!?!

Any thoughts/feedback/advice???

Thanks - and congrats to everyone who has gotten in -

EpiPhD--Thanks for bringing up the funding question! I was admitted to two departments in mid-Feb. The schools have only shared generalities about funding (like "all students will have an RA position for at least 2 years"). Funding will obviously have a pretty big impact on my decision, so I'm getting restless. I'm going to both visit days at the end of the month, and it would be helpful to know about the $$.

One caveat, although I've been accepted by the department, I'm pretty sure the graduate school is still processing my application. Does funding information usually come after the Grad School confirms your acceptance by the department?

I'm jealous that you've heard from UW-Seattle. Although I'm 80 percent sure I wouldn't go there (and about 75 percent sure they wouldn't accept me), they are the one other Health Services PhD program I would need to seriously consider.

• 2 weeks later...