Any PhD Public Health People out there?

angrawa

Has Anyone heard from UW seattle PHD Health Services?? or BU, UIC, USC?

waiting waiting waiting waiting

:)

Angrawa, I spoke with the UW Health Services PhD department last week. They apologized for the delay, and said I was on the waitlist and should receive my letter this week. I think this means that I was on the waitlist and now am officially rejected. I assume you'll receive a letter this week too. Good luck!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone apply to JHSPH in the Department of Population, Family, and Reproductive Health? I emailed them a few weeks ago asking about notifications. They said that letters should be sent by mid-week last week. I still have not received anything. I checked my status on the online application and saw a message stating that a preliminary decision is available and that I can check it my clicking on the link, but there is no link. I've emailed the department but have yet to hear anything.

Angrawa, I spoke with the UW Health Services PhD department last week. They apologized for the delay, and said I was on the waitlist and should receive my letter this week. I think this means that I was on the waitlist and now am officially rejected. I assume you'll receive a letter this week too. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I got my rejection letter today in the mail from UW and an interview request at BU. Since I am in Seattle, UW was my first choice :( but I'll see what happens to BU

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All...

Just an update -- I talked to University of Arizona and they said they expect to release decisions by April 5. Just in case anyone else is waiting to hear from them.

also - is anyone else waiting to hear from Ohio State? I am desperate to know something from them ---

Thanks to all...

I can't believe this process is almost over - Thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone--

I need some advice. I've been rejected at all the schools I applied to except one which is my bottom choice that I applied to on a whim. That said, they are not promising funding and do not have skilled faculty in my area of concentration. SO, i have 2 questions....

1) Does anyone know someone who has transferred from a PhD program in public health to another and if so, was it hard and were they transfering to a better school or an equal school ranking-wise? Is it normally frowned upon to do this?

2) Do you think that going anywhere is better than nowhere...I know it depends on my career goals yah-dah-yah-dah but a PhD is my career goal. I am in contact with the admission commitees to try to see what happened. I am just having a hard time deciding if waiting another year to **Maybe** get in somewhere I want to be is worth it or not.

Any ideas or words of wisdom are much appreciated:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Angrawa -

Sorry to be so slow with a reply. Have you made a decision?

I would personally probably wait a year and re-apply. I have a good friend who did not get in to any of her top choices her first year. This year, she was accepted at 5/6 schools. She really improved her GRE score, though. So, I guess it depends on whether there is something concrete you can work on during the next year.

I haven't heard about people transferring, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Good luck to you -

I have been admitted to two schools both Masters. One at Columbia University for MPH - Biostatistics and University of Minnesota - MPH Epidemiology. I am torn between the two. Job wise, which is more marketable between the two. I am sure Columbia is better than U of M. Please help make up my mind.

Thanks

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good to see someone else. I am also a little shaky on the whole thing. I am applying to PhD programs and also have a December 1 deadline. It will mean a few long nights this week, including tonight! Where are you applying, what level, and what specializations if I might ask?

Hopkins (yeah, like that'll happen), Columbia, UMich, Yale, UMass, NYU and public policy at Portland State. Would have liked to go for Berekely, but I hear they almost never accept international students, and UMinn, but the aplication fees (SOPHAS + school fees + foreign credential eval) are prohibitive.

Health policy/health and public policy, and Sociomedical sciences at Columbia. All PhD programmes.

It's funny, on these sort of forums it's rare to run into other Public Health types. Lots of History and English, and it's easy to think that public health is less competitive. But, no. Columbia sociomed gets about 100 apps and have about 6 slots.

What about yourself?

I agree with you about running into other PH prospects. Perhaps it happens in waves.

I am applying to JHU also for a PhD in Health Behavior and Society and a

PhD in Sociomedical Sciences at Columbia too! So it appears we are looking at the same things.

Those are the only two I am applying to. I did not apply to Harvard or anywhere else that used SOPHAS because of the rigmarole they put you through. I could not afford the fees and had worries my transcripts would not get there in time.

• 2 weeks later...

How about someone applying to PhD in Health Policy?

I am applying to UC - Berkeley's HSPA

John Hopkins PhD Program in Economic Evaluation and Policy

And some other public policy programs that have a concentration on health policy (chicago, princeton)

I really have no idea how strong/weak my app is

I have an undergrad in economics with a math minor GPA 3.3 and major GPA 3.6

I have a masters in economics from a top 10 econ dept GPA 3.2

I have 4 years of research experience at health policy/economics centers (2 in the states, 1 in spain)

I have published 1 paper in a peer-reviewed paper, co-authored with a very important health economist

GRE

750 quant

480 verbal

5.0 analytical

What are the backgrounds of people applying into health policy PhDs?

For me, I am switching from economics to health policy, but I personally wouldn't think I am competitive for say, a top 10 economics phD program. So for instance, do these programs, John Hopkins, Berkeley, Harvard that have the economics concentration, would being admitted into those mean that you **could** potentially be admitted into their econ depts?

cause if that's the case, then chances are waaay slimmer... :roll:

09-phd: Is there a reason you're not applying to the Wharton PhD in health economics at UPenn? Depending on your specific research interests, it definitely seems like it would be a logical fit in light of your prior training.

Jaw 17, I am in fact applying to Wharton's health econ too. I've heard however that it is really really hard to get into that program.

What strengths would you say they're looking for, given that you got in? and btw congrats !

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone! It's application time again and already I am dreading the long process and waiting. Thought it would be nice to know who's out there applying for PhD's for Fall 09 to share the misery with and of course support each other. I'm in International/Global health and am re-applying with hopes of a better school for this year. I've decided to try my luck at the GRE again :idea: in hopes to raise my verbal score.

Good Luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, first time poster.. cool forum, would have been helpful for my grad apps..

i just finished submitted application to three programs in canada:

- health and behavioural science PhD, Dalla Lana school of pub. health, university of toronto

- health policy PhD, McMaster University

- Health Services Research PhD, school of population and public health, university of british columbia

it was a long, time consuming process and i'm glad it's over.. although i rather be working on it than waiting for a couple months.

hehe, btw for those US grad applicants out there.. prior to submitting my application to UBC i wrote the program head a letter discussing the lack of merit GRE scores have in predicting graduate success (stating my own research and MSc demonstrate this more effectively). I even tabulated other major university programs in public health sciences and their GRE reqs.. all of which had none. in the end, the school removed the requirement.

for those interested, my academic background includes a BA in sociology and a MSc in population and public health (equivelant to an MPH).

good luck to all of us going through the upcoming round of admission reviews!

• 2 weeks later...
Just bumping this --

Anyone hear back from PhD admissions committees for public health?

I am waiting on Hopkins, UMN, Columbia, Tulane, UAB, UIC, and Emory - no news at all to date! Any ideas on when we'll hear?

There have been a couple of Public Health PhDs on the results page. U Arizona, UPitt, UNC, UMich. I'm waiting for Columbia and Hopkins too. In previous years, the results page has had notices from these programmes mid-Feb onwards.

I applied to the PhD in Epidemiology program at UNC. It's the only school/department in which I'm interested that doesn't require a prior Master's.

So...I also applied to:

UNC: MPH in HBHE

U Mich: MPH in Epi and MPH in HBHE

UW: MS in Epi and MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences

U Minn: MPH in Epi

I've already been accepted to U Minn. Absolutely dying to hear back from the other 6 programs. I've been obsessively checking my email, this site, and the MPH forum at studentdoctor.net a zillion times a day. :roll:

EDIT: Holy crap! I JUST checked my email not even a minute after I posted this and I got an email saying I've been accepted to the UW MS in Epi program!!!!! This is one of my top 2 programs, so I am thrilled!!! :mrgreen: