Keeping my full-time job during my MS Stats program

Substrata

Is it worthwhile to quit my job to focus fully on my master's degree?

My master's is currently unfunded, but I have a decent amount in savings and plan to hopefully work a part-time job to offset any loans I may have to take out. My undergrad was in Psychology, and I made the jump to Statistics and CS and the transition has been difficult, but I love it. My current job is unrelated to my field, but it is flexible and is funding my education, which is a huge incentive to stay. However, balancing both graduate school and full-time work is taking a toll on my mental and physical health. I have started having back problems and neck problems from sitting all day at work and sitting all night working on homework. The lack of free-time has also started triggering panic attacks. I've been seeking treatment for these conditions, but it all boils down to stress triggering these issues. 

I know if I really buckle down, I can get through the semester, but at what cost? Once I graduate, the types of jobs I can apply for pay a lot more than my current job. I'm feeling stuck because the situation I'm in is one that most would envy, but it's seriously effecting my health.

Should I quit and focus on graduate school full-time at the risk of incurring debt, or should I stay at the risk of degrading health? Any advice, personal experiences, etc. would be extremely helpful.  

19 minutes ago, Substrata said:

Is it worthwhile to quit my job to focus fully on my master's degree?

My master's is currently unfunded, but I have a decent amount in savings and plan to hopefully work a part-time job to offset any loans I may have to take out. My undergrad was in Psychology, and I made the jump to Statistics and CS and the transition has been difficult, but I love it. My current job is unrelated to my field, but it is flexible and is funding my education, which is a huge incentive to stay. However, balancing both graduate school and full-time work is taking a toll on my mental and physical health. I have started having back problems and neck problems from sitting all day at work and sitting all night working on homework. The lack of free-time has also started triggering panic attacks. I've been seeking treatment for these conditions, but it all boils down to stress triggering these issues. 

I know if I really buckle down, I can get through the semester, but at what cost? Once I graduate, the types of jobs I can apply for pay a lot more than my current job. I'm feeling stuck because the situation I'm in is one that most would envy, but it's seriously effecting my health.

Should I quit and focus on graduate school full-time at the risk of incurring debt, or should I stay at the risk of degrading health? Any advice, personal experiences, etc. would be extremely helpful.  

Were I in your situation today, I would prioritize my back and my state of mind. Physical pain and mental pain can feed into each other in an expanding spiral that can be overwhelming. Or so I've heard.

See if your job will pay for a standing desk and/or a chair with better back support, if not, give thought to investing in one or both. Concurrently, think of tactics that will allow you to get off the chair and still be productive. For example, can some of your meetings be held during walks?

If your work compensation includes health insurance, see if the policy will cover a visit to a competent chiropractor. In addition to the adjustments you may receive, the doctor may recommend stretches and exercises specifically geared towards the health of your back and your neck.

Similarly, see if your company offers "wellness" benefits. Such benefits may include complimentary unlimited telephone consoling sessions and a very limited number of face to face sessions.

In the event you decide to resign your position, understand that living off your savings and part-time paycheck may require a significantly greater level of sacrifice than you imagine. Even if you eat economically now, eating PB&Js out of choice is a lot different than eating PB&Js out of necessity.

4 hours ago, Sigaba said:

Were I in your situation today, I would prioritize my back and my state of mind. Physical pain and mental pain can feed into each other in an expanding spiral that can be overwhelming. Or so I've heard.

See if your job will pay for a standing desk and/or a chair with better back support, if not, give thought to investing in one or both. Concurrently, think of tactics that will allow you to get off the chair and still be productive. For example, can some of your meetings be held during walks?

If your work compensation includes health insurance, see if the policy will cover a visit to a competent chiropractor. In addition to the adjustments you may receive, the doctor may recommend stretches and exercises specifically geared towards the health of your back and your neck.

Similarly, see if your company offers "wellness" benefits. Such benefits may include complimentary unlimited telephone consoling sessions and a very limited number of face to face sessions.

In the event you decide to resign your position, understand that living off your savings and part-time paycheck may require a significantly greater level of sacrifice than you imagine. Even if you eat economically now, eating PB&Js out of choice is a lot different than eating PB&Js out of necessity.

Sigaba, all sound advice. I actually am doing a lot of these things already. I put an order through HR to get a standing desk and got one, and I am doing both physical therapy and Chiropractic work as well as meditation to try to mitigate all of the damage that's happening to my body.

Unfortunately, the desk I received was too big for me (I'm just shy of 5'0) and when I brought this up to HR, they were less than receptive. I feel I have done what I can do at this point to try and get better, short of quitting my job.

You're right, though, the financial hit will be significant. I will likely be able to finish my degree without incurring too much if any debt, but I will eat through the entirety of my savings, even if I live frugally. 

It's a tough decision indeed. 

28 minutes ago, Substrata said:

Sigaba, all sound advice. I actually am doing a lot of these things already. I put an order through HR to get a standing desk and got one, and I am doing both physical therapy and Chiropractic work as well as meditation to try to mitigate all of the damage that's happening to my body.

Unfortunately, the desk I received was too big for me (I'm just shy of 5'0) and when I brought this up to HR, they were less than receptive. I feel I have done what I can do at this point to try and get better, short of quitting my job.

You're right, though, the financial hit will be significant. I will likely be able to finish my degree without incurring too much if any debt, but I will eat through the entirety of my savings, even if I live frugally. 

It's a tough decision indeed. 

HR should have coordinated the purchase of the desk with the operations department and/or your supervisor; someone not named @Substrata needed to spec out the desk for your height. Operations arguably should try to work with the vendor to get an exchange/refund.

21 hours ago, Sigaba said:

HR should have coordinated the purchase of the desk with the operations department and/or your supervisor; someone not named @Substrata needed to spec out the desk for your height. Operations arguably should try to work with the vendor to get an exchange/refund.

Sigaba, so you think I should try to ask for a better desk before quitting? 

It took them 3 months after I got them the appropriate medical notes and after I had to file for disability to get the initial set up. I’m worried that by the time they get this fixed (if they do), my health will already be much worse again. 

The desk set up has caused significant damage to my shoulders and nerves in my hands (loss of feeling in my hands and weakness in my fingers as a result). It could lead to permanent nerve damage if my nerves stay pinched for too long. 

I have already brought up the issue with my supervisor but they aren’t taking it seriously. /: I feel a bit trapped. 

Its all rather ridiculous because I’m a healthy, active 20 something whose only real issue is being too short/small for my desk. I just need an appropriately sized desk, but they are turning it into a huge ordeal. 

I'm not sure how much of a height difference you need, but can you find a thick mat to stand on? They make anti-fatigue mats, but they're usually thin (~1"); there may be some other type of mat that is a little thicker. Of course, you want to be sure that whatever you're using is safe (not so small that you'll trip off of it while working). I probably wouldn't recommend something more than 2" for safety reasons.

Since you already have the initial disability set-up out of the way, it might not take as long to fix the desk issue. I would ask if you could get one of the adjustable stand-up desks that are placed on top of a regular desk. This way you can raise it only as high as you need it and you shouldn't face any more height issues. I'm not sure if this would be cheaper or more expensive than a stand up desk, depending on the quality of the desk they gave you, but it's worth exploring whether they'd cover that option. 

At the very least, I would try to work it out with them before quitting. Worst case scenario, they can't accommodate and you leave.