How detailed should I talk of my research interest in SOP

Hello, fellow GradCafe members!

I am currently preparing my SOP for clinical psychology program applications. I have a very good idea of what I would like to pursue for my Master's research. Should I be specific or broad in outlining my research interests for my SOP. I don't want to sound naive, but I fear that it could potentially be stolen, or alternatively, it could put off potential POIs given it's possible incompatibility with there research. Thank you for the help! 

If there aren’t faculty with compatible research interests, why are you applying to that program? The match doesn’t have to be exact, but you will need to put together a committee who can mentor you through the dissertation process and evaluate the final product.

In terms of how specific - I think the more specific you can be, the better. I found it helpful to create a “funneled” statement that started broad and got specific. 

BROAD: I’m interested in understanding how stigma or social disadvantage affects access to health care,

LESS BROAD: particularly in terms of how patients seek out health resources, how providers offer health resources, and how patients and providers communicate.

SPECIFIC: Specifically, I am interested in how these issues affect access to birth control and abortion care.

I also included a final paragraph about where I want my career to go where I talked about a couple of specific research questions or goals I would like to pursue. The committee wants to see a sense of direction because it says you’ve really thought about this.