How to write an SOP without talking about my research

Hi all,

I'm applying to neuroscience PhDs and for one of the schools I'm applying to, they ask for both a Research Summary as well as a statement of purpose. They specifically ask that the SOP be about how my personal background impacts my decision to pursue a PhD and highlight things like cultural/family experiences and challenges I've faced. Moreover, they emphasize not reiterating anything I say in my research summary. 

I sorta understand why they have it this way, but at the same time, I'm a bit lost as to how to write this SOP. Honestly, my background has had minimal influence on why to pursue a degree. I want a PhD because of my research experience, and I don't know how to write about my pursuit without talking about my research.

Thoughts?

Is that a statement of purpose or "Personal Statement"?  It sounds to me like the Research Summary is vaguely playing the role of the former and the "Statement of Purpose" sounds like a "Personal Statement". But I could be wrong.

PS is distinct from SOP

Edited by klavierstucke

1 hour ago, klavierstucke said:

Is that a statement of purpose or "Personal Statement"?  It sounds to me like the Research Summary is vaguely playing the role of the former and the "Statement of Purpose" sounds like a "Personal Statement". But I could be wrong.

PS is distinct from SOP

The section is distinctly called Statement of Purpose. 

I would maybe focus more on why I am interested in getting and PhD and what I want to do with it. I know you said you want to get a PhD because of your research experience, but what do you want to do with this degree? Why neuroscience? You can do research in physics, chemistry, anthropology, etc., so why neuroscience? What got you into the field? Why did you choose to go to college rather than becoming a plumber? What hurdles have you jumped through to get to where you are today? Everyone has struggles. Even a billionaire legacy to Harvard University will have faced some challenge in his or her life at some point. How did this adversity shape you into who you are today? It sounds like they want to see how well you can reflect on yourself and your goals. 

• 1 year later...

Any tips on how does one address the lack of research experience in a proper lab, under a professor? For example, if I have a wealth of work experience in a field, and have gained a deep understanding through direct interactions, but haven't really been part of a lab/research group as such, how do I address this in my SOP? Can I still apply for a PhD program, or will I be rejected right away?