Working while on GRFP tenure

Levon3

Does anyone else with the NSF GRFP still have to work full-time* for their advisor? It's not that I mind, particularly--it's interesting work and valuable experience, but I don't think I should be expected to work just like everyone who is funded by his grant, when I'm technically working for him for free. Plus, because of this work, there is zero chance I can actually complete the project they funded me for, which makes me worried people will ask about it when I'm on the job market. I'm just to figure out how normal this is.

*grad student expectation = 20 hrs/week

On 9/21/2018 at 10:06 AM, Levon3 said:

Does anyone else with the NSF GRFP still have to work full-time* for their advisor? It's not that I mind, particularly--it's interesting work and valuable experience, but I don't think I should be expected to work just like everyone who is funded by his grant, when I'm technically working for him for free. Plus, because of this work, there is zero chance I can actually complete the project they funded me for, which makes me worried people will ask about it when I'm on the job market. I'm just to figure out how normal this is.

*grad student expectation = 20 hrs/week

I’m extremely confused how you think 1) that working full time is 20 hr/wk (are you still taking courses?) and that 2) just because you’re funded you won’t need to work that much. 

You'll need to finish your PhD, right? You’ll need to accomplish work regardless. Also remember that the GRFP only covers a salary- you still eat up research costs. 

Also, you don’t need to keep doing the same project you proposed for GRFP... it’s to fund you, not a project. So don’t worry.

Edited by lambda

20 hr/wk is the maximum we're allowed to work while in my program (20 hours of research + 30 hours for coursework). Yes, I am still taking courses. It's not that I don't expect to work. It's that I want to not have to do administrative work as if I'm a research assistant for my advisor's grant, while I am not. I am not funded at all by his grant. Of course I want to accomplish research. I just didn't expect that landing the GRFP wouldn't change anything about my research. I thought it was supposed to allow me to do my *own* research. 

I'm confused as to how you think I eat up research costs. I'm working in my advisor's lab for free, so I'm pretty sure I'm costing him nothing. 

I understand that I don't NEED to do the project proposed, but won't it look weird if I got this fellowship and didn't *do* anything with it?

Edited by Levon3

I've met people with the fellowship in other programs who say it frees them from working for their advisor. That's what I'm asking: How often does it not? How much an an anomaly is my case, and is there anything I can do about it? 

Edited by Levon3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 12:59 AM, Levon3 said:

I've met people with the fellowship in other programs who say it frees them from working for their advisor. That's what I'm asking: How often does it not? How much an an anomaly is my case, and is there anything I can do about it? 

Switch advisors. Choose someone who doesn't care as much about integrating you into their lab.