Jump to content
  • 0
Neferherw

Is anyone applying for master or phD in Egyptology this year?

Question

Well I'm going to apply for programs in Egyptology this year, but I find the useful information for this topic is so few. And I only have studied the elementary Greek, Latin and Middle Egyptian with out knowing any of the modern language like French and German. I'am so worried that I may not be competitive at all compared to other applicants! And the number of the universities that offer Egyptology programs are limited. So is anyone else here wants to study Egyptology in the future? I hope we can help each other and share the information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 9/23/2018 at 7:47 PM, Neferherw said:

Well I'm going to apply for programs in Egyptology this year, but I find the useful information for this topic is so few. And I only have studied the elementary Greek, Latin and Middle Egyptian with out knowing any of the modern language like French and German. I'am so worried that I may not be competitive at all compared to other applicants! And the number of the universities that offer Egyptology programs are limited. So is anyone else here wants to study Egyptology in the future? I hope we can help each other and share the information.

Hey! did you end up applying this year? I submitted 4 applications and am waiting it out. Doesn't seem to be many would be Egyptologists around though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

 

yes I have finished my application. I have applied to about 10 programs,and I am waiting for the results now. It is so glad to know other applicants in egyptology!

On 1/4/2019 at 6:29 AM, sseire said:

did you end up applying this year

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

10 programs! that's awesome! To which universities have you applied to? I wish yoy the best of luck!

What's your focus/period of interest? I would like to study the Late & Ptolemaic periods, focusing on Demotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/23/2019 at 1:47 AM, sseire said:

10 programs! that's awesome! To which universities have you applied to? I wish yoy the best of luck!

What's your focus/period of interest? I would like to study the Late & Ptolemaic periods, focusing on Demotic.

 

Thanks! Wish you the best too! I have applied to almost every university that has nelc program in the US, like U Mich, IU Bloomington, UCLA etc. Now I am so worried that I check my mail-box everyday, but still there is no news.

 I am quite interested in temple rituals and festivals in New Kingdom and later age. Now I am focused on some rituals in the Ptolemaic Period.

Edited by Neferherw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm applying for an MPhil at Oxford, I know it's a different programme, but nice to know that there are some others about!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@Neferherw how's the admissions cycle going so far? Any luck? From the programs you mentioned, I know at least UCLA has sent results (I was rejected...) 

All the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, sseire said:

@Neferherw how's the admissions cycle going so far? Any luck? From the programs you mentioned, I know at least UCLA has sent results (I was rejected...) 

All the best!

Thanks for your concern! Well for most of the projects, I was rejected. I think maybe I am still not qualified enough to compete with other applicants. But thanksfully I got a MA offer from Indiana. And congradulations on your admission for Brown! (I’ve seen that in the post for NELC)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks! I'm really excited and happy about Brown! It took me 2 years to get admitted to a PhD, but the wait and anxiety was worth it!

Congrats on the MA offer!! Don't let the rejections to the other programs discourage you or make you feel not-qualified; our discipline is very competitive and, sometimes, it all goes down to your interests aligning with the faculty's... You got through the admissions process, and you got in a quality program! (if I'm not wrong, Vinson is there!). I'm sure that with the MA, your chances to get a PhD offer will greatly increase in a future application cycle! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.