Visit to University of Michigan

Hi!

I got accepted in a program to visit the University of Michigan at the end of this month. While there, I will be visiting the department I am applying to as well as attending a symposium where graduate students give poster presentations on their research. I have yet to send in my application, but will be doing so soon. I have a few questions for people who have gone on visits before:

1. What should I wear?

2. Should I email professors I am interested in working with beforehand to see if I can meet up with them if I have time to do so?

3. What should I see in Ann Arbor while I am there? Any recommendations for cool places, restaurants, etc.?

4. Any other additional advice would be great!

P.S. I am applying to mainly biomedical engineering PhD programs.

Thanks so much!

Hi Moods,

This sounds like a great opportunity, congrats on getting a visit! Here is my opinion on your questions:

1) Always better to be better dressed. I say, business casual. For men this means nice pants (not jeans), nice shoes (no sneakers), a button-down and a tie. Jacket can be added. For females I think nice pants (again not jeans) or knee-length business skirt and a nice blouse. Heels are not necessary. For both, be professional with accessories/makeup/outfit/etc.

2) YES!!! I totally think so!! I mean this is such a perfect time to do so! Plus, you can get an idea of what they would be like as mentors/PIs and see who you would be interested in working with. I also suggest to visit the posters of the labs you're interested in and talking to the graduate students. You can learn so much from the students currently in the lab!

3) Sorry not from the area :(

4) When my friends went on campus/program visits and interviews they told me some tips:

• Stay hydrated (lots of water). With so much talking/interacting/traveling it's easy to get sick.
  • Write notes! At the end of the day try to summarize what you remember, what you like and things to do.
  • Keep in contact. I think it is completely okay to email anyone you talked with after your visit to say "thank you" and to also gently remind them that you're interested.
  • Have fun!! Programs, PIs and grad students are looking for someone that they can get along with. Make sure to be yourself and get a feel for your maybe future peers and faculty!

Best of luck! Hope this helps! :)