Stipend Increase to $31,000 for PhD Students at Emory?

Honolala

Hello everyone,

Last week, Emory announced the increase of stipends for PhD students in Laney Graduate School.

Does this mean that PhD Students in Religion would also receive at least $31,000 for stipend?

$31,000 in addition to full tuition and Health insurance is tremendous. Anyone knows whether it applies to PhD students in religious studies?

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2018/10/upress_lgs_announcement/campus.html

Edited by Honolala

11 hours ago, Honolala said:

Hello everyone,

Last week, Emory announced the increase of stipends for PhD students in Laney Graduate School.

Does this mean that PhD Students in Religion would also receive at least $31,000 for stipend?

$31,000 in addition to full tuition and Health insurance is tremendous. Anyone knows whether it applies to PhD students in religious studies?

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2018/10/upress_lgs_announcement/campus.html

That's probably pretty helpful considering the area that Emory is in. Decatur is expensive as hell. 

I thought it is inexpensive to live near Emory. A PhD student who I met two years ago at SBL told me she was paying $700 for rent. Two bedroom for $1400 and Emory shuttle stops right before her apartment. $700 per month for a room seems fine to me considering what they pay for their students ($23,000 per year?) and compare to rent in Boston (Harvard, Boston U, and Boston C), Chicago (U of Chicago), New York (Union), Dallas (SMU), and Toronto. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, Honolala said:

I thought it is inexpensive to live near Emory. A PhD student who I met two years ago at SBL told me she was paying $700 for rent. Two bedroom for $1400 and Emory shuttle stops right before her apartment. $700 per month for a room seems fine to me considering what they pay for their students ($23,000 per year?) and compare to rent in Boston (Harvard, Boston U, and Boston C), Chicago (U of Chicago), New York (Union), Dallas (SMU), and Toronto. 

I was just checking that. The website for Emory's off-campus lists very expensive housing for a grad student. Emory lacks graduate housing. The area seems to be quite expensive, upper middle-class. And if a person wants to live alone ... The distance between offerings (available) and the campus was not good and it seems to call for a car for groceries and some basic shopping. ?‍♂️  Northwestern's Weinberg College is now offering 32,000 graduate stipend to admitted students. ?

Yes, the American South is definitely part of "car culture" in that life will be easier with some kind of access to a car. That said, as a former Atlanta resident and frequent visitor - public transportation is decent enough and there's plenty of ride hailing services in the area for super cheap. Mileage will vary but I'll take 31k in Atlanta over 32k in Evanston. My very limited anecdotal experience says that the COL in Evanston is noticeable higher.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:28 AM, xypathos said:

Yes, the American South is definitely part of "car culture" in that life will be easier with some kind of access to a car. That said, as a former Atlanta resident and frequent visitor - public transportation is decent enough and there's plenty of ride hailing services in the area for super cheap. Mileage will vary but I'll take 31k in Atlanta over 32k in Evanston. My very limited anecdotal experience says that the COL in Evanston is noticeable higher.

That's why more than 50% of NU grad students live in Chicago. ? Rogers Park is significantly cheaper than Evanston and significantly more awesome. Though I have no idea how it compares to Atlanta. I'd guess your dollar still goes further there.