chemteacher6

Question

Hi!

I'm a junior at a competitive (top 10) US university studying chemistry and computer science. I'm starting to look at options in education to become a middle or high school science teacher, applying to masters programs next fall for a start term of Fall / summer 2020. I have no idea where to even start figuring out my chances at some programs (I've fallen in love with Stanford STEP program) and have no idea what makes an applicant competitive. This is where I'm at statistically:

GPA 3.70 (higher in my chemistry classes, which is what I'd look for certification in)

3+ semesters of chemistry research, with results presented at international conference, looking for a publication soon

Working on an independent study evaluating training of undergrads in tutoring programs and designing stronger training (looking to present results at poster sessions on campus)

3 summers of a teaching fellowship (science) at Breakthrough Collaborative. Likely to receive a very positive letter of recommendation from there.

Teaching Assistant for chemistry and computer science class

I'm a varsity athlete on a nationally ranked team too

Haven't taken the GRE yet, but I am hopeful I can test well.

I am most concerned right now with writing a meaningful and strong statement of purpose / application essays, as my writing experience is limited haha...

I'm looking for a strong program with a strong alumni network to get me into science education, maybe setting my sights on a PhD eventually but definitely want to teach first. Looking for a program with strong field experience components and a solid community among the cohort / class.

I have no idea where to start looking, or what the acceptance rates are like, or how many programs I should be looking at applying to next fall?

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet