Received all admissions, now waiting on funding

worrywort

Hi all,

It's official. I've received acceptance to every program I applied to! I'm simply ecstatic. I worked hard on my applications and got them in early, and it has paid off. I wish the best of luck to everyone else who is still waiting.

While I am very excited about acceptance, I am still waiting to hear about funding from all schools. Five of the schools I have gotten into are ranked as the best in the country for what I am pursuing (Masters, Library and Information Science). My question is, can I use my acceptances as leverage?

I want to inquire about funding without seeming pushy, but obviously funding plays a big part in my decision. What is the best way to inquire about funding? Any help would be much appreciated. April 15 is just around the corner. I've been having a very difficult time sleeping at night thinking about this. I just want to know what's going to happen!

They won't rescind your acceptance simply because you request funding. Be tactful and make sure that you are articulate and kind. Find the RIGHT person to talk to and work from there. Typically major programs have directors of fellowships. Minor programs at major universities will have a director of fellowships for the entire university. Be persistent and remember most would love to help you if they are able.

In our department, the person to talk to is either our program officer (might otherwise be called division manager, program manager, etc, it's a staff position) or the chair of the department. A tactful email like fade said is the way to go, such as,

Dear Person Name,

I was excited to receive my offer of admissions from UNIVERSITY X, and would very much like to attend. I was wondering when decisions regarding funding would be made. While UNIVERSITY X is one of my top choices, I've received offers from 5 other programs, and it would be difficult for me to accept my offer from UNIVERSITY X without complete information on my funding status.

Thank you again,

worrywort

This type of email is of course assuming you WOULD attend if they made you a great offer. (It sounds like at least 5 of the programs you would love to attend if the funding is right.)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help! Now the only problem I'm having is finding the RIGHT person to contact. Obviously, it varies from school to school, but I'm kind of at a loss. Can you recommend a good way to find the proper person to contact? I don't want to contact the wrong person.

Edit: I've read through the titles you've mentioned, but I'm not really finding people with those titles.

Edited by worrywort

If you can't find the right staff person, I'd email the chair of the department (a faculty member). If they aren't the one that "grants" these requests they will forward it to the right person.

If you can't find the right staff person, I'd email the chair of the department (a faculty member). If they aren't the one that "grants" these requests they will forward it to the right person.

Yup you are right. My mother in law works at SU and she said that the department chair at SU makes all funding decisions. And that if they really want you there is plenty of money. Setting up a meeting with the department chair is always helpful too. My husband got into CUA in DC.. and he is meeting with the department chair next week to ask about funding. SO we are driving from NY all the way to DC.. just seek this out... it will be worth it if he gets funded. We are from Syracuse, NY.