UT-Austin Update (Political Science PhD)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My employer has been asking me when I'll need time off to visit schools, so I went ahead and e-mailed UT about when I can expect to hear something. I was told to expect an e-mail in 2-3 days, followed by a letter in the mail. No clue if that's good or bad. I tend to think I don't quite have the stats necessary to get funding. The only thing I really have going for me is I was in close contact with a professor there and one of his colleagues while I worked on my Master's thesis. (they provided a lot of critical research help that my thesis committee couldn't always help with.)

My employer has been asking me when I'll need time off to visit schools, so I went ahead and e-mailed UT about when I can expect to hear something. I was told to expect an e-mail in 2-3 days, followed by a letter in the mail. No clue if that's good or bad. I tend to think I don't quite have the stats necessary to get funding. The only thing I really have going for me is I was in close contact with a professor there and one of his colleagues while I worked on my Master's thesis. (they provided a lot of critical research help that my thesis committee couldn't always help with.)

check your messages, uncapp.

I'm in too, but I didn't have to interview... strange. Financial details are forthcoming... I am so excited!!! Still waiting to hear back from a ton of other programs, but it is nice to know that either way it goes, I will be getting my PhD!!!!!

*high five!*

The good news: I got in!!!!!

The bad news: No funding available for the first year but MIGHT become available at a later date. Funding for the second year on contingent on submitting an "application".

The weird news: Invited to prospective weekend on March 28th with up to $300 dlls paid for by the department.

I think this is strange indeed. I am an international student, how in the hell do they expect me to prove that I have close to $50,000 dlls in liquid assets prior to admission????

Or did they "offered" admission expecting me to say no???

:?:

Reynaldo

Accepted to: Pittsburgh, Texas-Austin

Diched from: UW-Madison

Watiting patietntly to hear from: Gtown, and Johns Hopkins

Is the two year TA thing gonna be a deal breaker for any of you? I am thinking it might be kind of foolish to turn down "gaurenteed" or at least promissed funding in the form of fellowships from other schools to go with UT's 2-year deal.

I think the 2-year guarantee is a justified fear. Even if they say you're very likely to receive funding beyond that, there is still the possibility that you'll be odd man out in year 3, 4, 5, or beyond. (And there are over 100 grad students in the UT-Austin program). If you've got a 5 or 6 year deal waiting for you elsewhere, and its a reputable program with decent placement, the funding concern is certainly justifiable and should factor into decision making. (In my opinion).

I've heard that Texas has a fairly fractured faculty that forces its students to compete with one another. Doesn't sound like a healthy environment.

I heard the same from a couple of adivsors. Also, it is a very large department and that can work in your favor or against you.

In any case, I was offered a generous fellowship from Pitt with no service required for the first year so I'm already drafting the "thank you, but no thank you" letter to the folks at Austin.

Reynaldo

• 5 weeks later...

I visited the previous weekend knowing I'd be unable to attend the visit weekend. I was quite impressed with the program and faculty I'd be studying with (American pol. behavior, psychology). It seems the program will continue to grow in respect and prominence in the coming years. Do you have any particular questions?

I visited the previous weekend knowing I'd be unable to attend the visit weekend. I was quite impressed with the program and faculty I'd be studying with (American pol. behavior, psychology). It seems the program will continue to grow in respect and prominence in the coming years. Do you have any particular questions?

Who did you meet with and what were your impressions of them? I was at a different school last weekend.

I left the recruiting weekend with a positive impression. I was impressed with the Public Law and American Politics faculty. The current students seemed like nice people to be around. There was a general sense of a department that is moving up.

That was the impression I got... a program that is confident in itself and knows its on the way up... (way up). In American I met with Shaw, McDaniel, and Leal, and corresponded with some others. All relatively young, but all great scholars. That seems to be the biggest weakness-- it is a pretty young faculty. I would think that letters from younger scholars won't make that big a splash when I enter the job market, particularly when I'm competing against other job candidates who studied with bigger names. But, the environment seems pretty good.

In terms of job placement and the respectability of the program (which is how a lot of us end up making decisions, assuming the fit will be good study wise)... I get the impression that, if I decide on Texas, it is likely that I'll be a bit handicapped when I first enter the job market, but given how serious the department is about moving up, and how good the young faculty members are, the degree will have serious staying power and only increase in value over the next 10+ years.

It's a bit of a gamble (particularly if you've got offers from higher ranked schools). You've just got to weigh the risks involved.