Low GRE scores Political Science, would like thoughts on the admissions process

moez1266

I took the test yesterday. Yes, I'm aware that my scores are low: 146Q and 151V

I'm a senior studying Political Science and would continue in the field if I were to go (Comparative). My GPA is 3.6/major is 3.9. I started my search into grad school last year when a professor, in my department, suggested that I think about it. I put that search on pause in spring semester when I realized how problematic my quant score would be.

Come this semester, I went and I informed my department of my choice. The professor who had suggested that I go told me that I was letting fear get in the way, that I did fine in his methods course, and grad statistics wasn't anything I couldn't learn. So, I gave it a try. I studied for five weeks (not as much as I would've liked) and began the application process(es).

Here's the thing: I have cerebral palsy, which has always made math difficult and my reading ability slowed. I've made it through undergrad without accommodations and without sharing with my professors. I've never enjoyed receiving inflated grades, and thus, it's been wonderful to prove myself independent of the knowledge of my disability. Since my sophomore year, I've been told that my analysis was at a graduate level. Furthermore, despite struggling with math, the undergraduate methods course was not a problem. a constant struggle. Yes, I know I could have received accommodations on the GRE, but time was not on my side.

Here's what I need to know: If my SOP and LORs are strong, given my GPA do I have a chance?  All the programs I'm considering are Ph.D.

My top school is at the bottom of top the top 25 (UW-Madison). The average for scores of applicants admitted in 2017 was: 87th percentile verbal and 70 percentile quant.

There's another school within the top 25 of the field (though, it's lacking in my subfield) that I'm considering. The department has admitted 1-3 people per cycle with 130-150 quant scores (University of Minnesota)

The two other schools are in the 3rd tier, and I've looked and I've yet to find the GRE averages (Indiana-Bloomington and Illinois-Urbana)

I'm attending a liberal arts state school, and the department does not offer research opportunities. All of my "research" is for coursework. I am involved in extra-curricular pertaining to my interests and have received awards an recognition at regional conferences, for one in particular (Model UN).

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

It is probably late to respond and am sure you have already applied. My personal take is that don't be discouraged. GRE is just one component of your application. Just apply and wait. At least you won't regret not applying. My GRE scores were lower than yours when I took it without any preparation at all. I had to apply to Grad schools to make sure I maintained my F1-visa (international student here). so, I was really running against time. I got into 2/4 of the MA programs I applied too. I was discourage at first but then one of my professors told me just apply and wait for it. If nothing else, at least you will learn a lot about the application process. I am glad I did.

• 1 month later...

Like the poster above mentioned, I am pretty sure you have already applied; but I am also sure that you would be returning here to check. If you do here are my thoughts:

Though schools make it seem like the GRE is only part of the application process and while sometimes it might seem to be the case, admissions committees have an obsession with those numbers. It is true that the exam does not reflect one's ability to do research in graduate school but it shows one's ability (for those who are not intelligent like me) to persist, learn new material and be tested successfully (which I believe is also important).

Honestly, a 151 verbal is extremely low for a PhD in political science; most schools in that field have percentiles ranging in the 60s and 70s let alone the 80s and 90s for the top tier programs. For the quant scores do not worry a lot, all you have to do is get around a 155- 159 and you would be fine for political science PhD (basic idea: don't bomb it because it would be a red flag). I know you mentioned your medical condition and I want to commend you for cruising through undergraduate studies despite. But my advise is, if you could read those long books at the undergrad and have that great GPA for your major, then you can train your brain to dissect those reading comprehension passages in the allotted time and answer correctly. More so, don't worry about your current score; downlo

ad the Magoosh vocabulary app and learn all the new vocab; I guarantee you that this exercise in itself will boost your confidence and score by about 4 points (or 3). Take two months to study, and be consistent. Take a practice test once every two weeks. Then come back here after you take the GRE and tell me how great your score was. People applying to Political science score 167, 168, 170 on verbal like it's nothing and you're competing with them. You deserve the best too.

By the way the best GRE study material for verbal out there is Magoosh, and if it comes to a point where you have to pay the premium (only $150 for 6 month access compared to other test preps that charge you over $900 for only 2 months) don't hesitate.

Good luck!!!!